F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Suspension Warranty
Extreme Powerhouse

10-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Lord_Uzi
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M Sport

Suspension Warranty

So I was driving one day in NYC, shitty roads, and I hit a huge pothole. My car was fine and I continued to drive it for the next 3 days.. I was at the gym and I came out and the right side of my car was low, so I didn't feel like it was safe to drive so I had my car towed to the nearest dealer.. I don't think this had anything to do w the pot hole since my car drove perfectly.. Today I got a call from BMW saying my strut bar is leaning on my axle and that I should contact my insurance company .. I still have my 5 year warranty and my suspension should be covered. What do you guys think I should do
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Uzi View Post
So I was driving one day in NYC, shitty roads, and I hit a huge pothole. My car was fine and I continued to drive it for the next 3 days.. I was at the gym and I came out and the right side of my car was low, so I didn't feel like it was safe to drive so I had my car towed to the nearest dealer.. I don't think this had anything to do w the pot hole since my car drove perfectly.. Today I got a call from BMW saying my strut bar is leaning on my axle and that I should contact my insurance company .. I still have my 5 year warranty and my suspension should be covered. What do you guys think I should do
There is some kind of known weakness with the struts on these cars when they hit potholes, IIRC.

I would fight them, you didn't do anything wrong.
      10-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Warranty covers defects in parts or workmanship. BWM will argue that hitting a pothole isn't any different than hitting a tree, and that it's not a warranty item. If anything they'll say that the city or state, depending on the road, is responsible. Good luck trying to collect from them. File the insurance claim.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
Lord_Uzi
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz
Warranty covers defects in parts or workmanship. BWM will argue that hitting a pothole isn't any different than hitting a tree, and that it's not a warranty item. If anything they'll say that the city or state, depending on the road, is responsible. Good luck trying to collect from them. File the insurance claim.
Even if I specifically told them that it wasn't? I had to bring it up because I had a huge mark in my wheel .. So they wouldve saw it
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #5
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
+1!!!!

Quote:
Even if I specifically told them that it wasn't? I had to bring it up because I had a huge mark in my wheel .. So they wouldve saw it
Do you actually think the fact that it took a few days for the strut to begin to show signs of damage means it wasn't caused by the collision you experienced?
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

10-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Suspension parts are considered wear items.
Warranty specifically does not cover wear items unless there is a defect in manufacturing.
Bent suspension pieces are the responsibility of the driver/owner.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
^ this. Sucks...sorry to hear. I had a friggin tree branch fall from a city owned tree (parkway area) and mess up my hood on my other car. I don't have the time or resources to fight City Hall lol..so I gave up and just left it as is..(its got 3 dimples in the hood). Just file the claim as mentioned unfortunately
      10-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
401FlaGATOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i ZSP, F30 320i ZSP

If you feel strongly that it's not related to the pothole you can take it to an independent BMW repair shop and have them put it up on a lift and tell you what is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
You told them it wasn't what? You can't just go into the dealer, and say "Yeah, I know I hit a huge pothole, but that's not the cause of the damage to the car" and that's the end of it.

I would press them to show you the damage, and explain how the pothole would cause it. But in the end, just repeatedly stating your conclusion won't make it fact.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
^ this. Sucks...sorry to hear. I had a friggin tree branch fall from a city owned tree (parkway area) and mess up my hood on my other car. I don't have the time or resources to fight City Hall lol..so I gave up and just left it as is..(its got 3 dimples in the hood). Just file the claim as mentioned unfortunately
You aren't going to win that battle anyway. You'd have to show that the city knew the branch was prone to fall, or should have known. Sure, if there were 5 trees in your city, maybe you could show that. But otherwise, it's a real longshot.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Oh the city knows. Funny how the area had the trees cut back soon after! Damn things break fairly often lately. If we get El Nino, they're will be more casualties of branch damage I have no doubut.