BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Totally dead battery. Whats the chances the service dept has the battery in stock?

So my battery is stone cold dead. Im expecting it needs to be replaced. I PMd a local-ish dealer today (Charlie@McKenna BMW) who pretty quickly told me they have it in stock. It seems like such a unique item, that I question if they really do have it in stock.

The drive to that dealership is over 1hr for me, so its an important question for me unfortunately.

What do you all think? Is this a special order item kind of thing?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I get the feeling that Charlie @ McKenna is a straight shooter and although I do not have any direct experience with him, he seems to have an excellent reputation on the M3 forum.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 11:57 PM   #3
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

I replaced mine with a battery from Autozone for $160.
My OEM battery was a non-AGM, so I went with the same type along with similar stats.
Code the battery to the vehicle, and you're good to go! I've had the battery since this past March, and no issues...yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #4
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
So my battery is stone cold dead. Im expecting it needs to be replaced. I PMd a local-ish dealer today (Charlie@McKenna BMW) who pretty quickly told me they have it in stock. It seems like such a unique item, that I question if they really do have it in stock.

The drive to that dealership is over 1hr for me, so its an important question for me unfortunately.

What do you all think? Is this a special order item kind of thing?

Thanks!
Complex question imo: when I called, I got the same answer but when I got to the dealership turns out they have an x nummer of parts with exactly the same specifications. I think they will not have the exact factory battery there, but a version that the dealer department deems equivalent. My original battery was made in Germany, my replacement had already marks from recharging (they claimed, they did this every month on stock batteries) and had a statement; 'Made in Brasil' (purchased in Belgium). If this is a sensitive topic, be ready to walk away if something does not feel right to you, and as a preparation, call back to ask if it's really the exact part number you gave them or a BMW equivalent, if it has already been recharged etc etc.

good luck, let us know.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

BEWARE: About a year ago my battery was weak so I went to get it replaced under warranty at the dealer which was about an hour away. They confirmed it was bad and would replace it. I get a call 2 hours later that they thought they had it in stock but for some reason there is a part number issue. They said my battery was out of stock, so I should just leave my car with them for a few days and they would have it resolved and that I could just keep driving the X1 loner. I told them to put the battery back in and call me when they get it figured out....IT TOOK A MONTH!!!! They kept getting the wrong battery and and said it was a special part number for the 1M and it had to come from Germany. Im glad I took my car back home and just left it on the trickle charger. So just make sure they actually have the CORRECT battery in stock before you go.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Hey Cam,

I'll chime in for reassurance, the battery inside your vehicle is a common battery used on other vehicles as well(although the vehicle is special without saying but the battery however is not). With the VIN off of my other clients 1M, I did a parts search and it shows we have exactly 15 batteries in stock.
      10-06-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Not knowledgeable on the 1M's but do believe Charlie that the 1M is unique but the battery is not. Likely same battery used in many different models.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Not knowledgeable on the 1M's but do believe Charlie that the 1M is unique but the battery is not. Likely same battery used in many different models.
Based on what I'm seeing in my system, it seems as if the same battery(aside from battery amperage) is used for a lot of models, except for some 5's, 6's, 7's and X5's.