THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Road America track day - 10/2/15

10-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Road America track day - 10/2/15

Went to Road America for a track day/charity event, March of Dimes Drive for Babies. It was a great day weather wise with a bunch beautiful cars.

1st session was a bust. Basically a parade lap. I was trapped in slow traffic the whole time.

2nd session was great. After getting by a few cars I was stuck behind a Mustang for the rest of the run. That was okay as he was pretty quick and it allowed me to try and find the line.

3rd session was mixed. 1st lap was great, 2nd lap not so much. I got a point by from a Carrera S on the main straight and the next thing you know the car jumped into limp mode. The car came back to life near the end of the second lap, but I went into the pits. I put it in map 2 and headed back out. Ended up in traffic for most of the rest of the session. My suspicion is I was riding the speed limiter when it went into limp mode. I had been breathing it just before 130mph, but when I passed the Porsche I lost track of doing that.

4th session was great. Got by the Carrera S again (see video). Would have liked a shot at the Carrera GTS, but traffic got between us. I think he had me covered though.

The car ran great other than the speed limiter deal. That really hurt when running with good cars. Overall I think the car surprised a lot of people and I heard a lot of compliments how good it did.

The car does have a decent amount of body roll. It in part has to do with the tires I’m running which have a very tall side wall (235/40-18). I do think some bigger sway bars would help though.

The DSC would activate sometimes on corner exit when I didn’t want it to (I was running sport +) and the transmission wasn’t always in the right gear coming out of corners. I believe this was my fault. For whatever reason I didn’t put the shifter to the left for sport, only changed the mode to sport +. You can hear the car downshifting coming out of the corners (see video). I think if I put the gear selector in sport it would have held a lower gear longer.

Brakes held up decent. I have Motul fluid. Initial bite is softer than I would like. I have EBC reds on order. I’m wondering if some SS brake lines would firm it up.

For something that I run all year and through the Wisconsin snow, I have absolutely nothing to complain about. It’s a great car.

Video:
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Excellent! I've never seen that chicane before.
      10-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

It's the motorcycle turn. I was told that motorcycles don't like the kink so they use this turn. It's also used during events with less experienced drivers (ie. track days). Supposed to help from having to pick car parts out of the fence. Unfortunately there was still quite a bit of carnage for a track day. Brand new Stringray got crumpled, Audi pancaked the side of the car, Mustang blew a hole in it's block, Mercedes went up in a cloud of smoke in front of me...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Wow great work man!