F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension Research
Extreme Powerhouse

10-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

Suspension Research

Ok, so here is what I’m looking for. As close to stock M Sport ride as possible with the car about 1” lower. Ideally I would be able to adjust the height. A bit stiffer is fine (M3 stiffness), but not much more than that. Prefer not to spend <2000, and will probably buy used. I will install myself. This is what I have found so far with my research. Anyone care to comment?

H&R Sport / Eibach springs – Best I can tell most don’t like this combination. I “think” the shocks are a bit too long and they bottom out, along with not having enough damping for the 30% stiffer springs. Probably worse on the H&R super sport springs. Some have added Bilstein B8 shocks, which seems to help, but then you are into it for about $1000. There have also been several instances of the top hats coming apart with this system, so beware – although BMW is coming out with a stronger top hat.

Dinan Springs – Better ride quality, but fairly expensive. Includes new bumpstops which I suspect are progressive and get rid of some of the immediate bottoming issues above.

Coilovers

KW V1 – Not rebuildable – A lot of issues with the shocks making noises which usually means the internal cartridge (gas/oil) has come apart. You need to send them back to KW when this happens at $130 / each. Generally considered good ride quality though.

KW V2 – Rebuildable, still twin tube design, adjustable. No issues that I know of. (I had a set on a racecar and they were pretty nice)

Bilstein B14 – rebuildable, Non adjustable montube design. Progressive springs, but reports they are pretty stiff? Quality design though. -30 – 50 mm drop

Bilstein B16 – rebuildable, Adjustable montube design. Progressive springs, but reports they are pretty stiff, but maybe not as stiff as the B14 on low settings? Quality design though. -30 to -50 drop

TC Kline – Single and Double adjustable – Basically Koni’s with special valving. I had these on an M3 and they rode great (single adj). Were not that great at the track, but good daily driver car.

BC BR Coilovers –
Not too much information besides the sticky? Anyone?

CKS Coilovers
Not too much information besides the sticky? Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Swaybars
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I'll throw my option in there....Bilstein PSS10 KOMFORT. These are like the regular PSS10 but with slightly longer springs. Drop is 10-30mm rather than 30-50.

On damper setting 0 they are as comfortable as a stock M Sport, stiffer but less crashy. On setting 10 they are awesome on track, car feels like a go-kart.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

Do you know the difference between the PSS10 Komfort and the regular besides the longer springs? Is the shock valving the same?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Personally, I think if you don't track your car the KW V1 is all you need. Unless you have a very particular ride you are looking for paying more for the adjustability would be a waste.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 04:26 AM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
Do you know the difference between the PSS10 Komfort and the regular besides the longer springs? Is the shock valving the same?
I am told it is only the springs that are longer, no other changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 04:35 AM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Personally, I think if you don't track your car the KW V1 is all you need. Unless you have a very particular ride you are looking for paying more for the adjustability would be a waste.
I disagree, as the cost to change suspension is quite high (the labour / wheel alignment, etc) the relatively small cost between for example KW V1 and KW V2 makes it an easy decision to go for the adjustability of the V2. Sure you will get used to the ride on the V1, but you will never know whether 2 clicks would have made the world of difference for you.
Appreciate 0