BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Arrow Calling Dackel(!) ...Coolant in Germany Question...

Dackel, I was hoping you could help. The 1M is 4 years old now and I wanted to change the coolant but US dealers say it's not recommended and they make it sound like I will hurt my car if we change the coolant even if done by them with BMW Coolant. It is almost as if the German coolant is better than what we get in the US. I don't want to put cheap US BMW coolant if the German stuff is better. If it really is better, then I would like to know.

I have tried contacting BMW and all I get here is a "genius" and it is a joke. They don't know anything at that level they just read off the BMW USA service line.

Do you know any BMW engineers or someone at BMW that could find out what coolant is in our 1Ms from the factory and at what concentration? My guess is that it is some sort of Pentosin thing but the concentration is important.

Thank you.

Last edited by nachob; 10-23-2015 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Just buy some BMW coolant and go 50/50.

Neil
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Calling Dackelone. nachob has a question for you

The best for your car would be a coolant flush. 4 year old coolant isnt doing anything good in your radiator.

Appreciate 3
      10-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Just buy some BMW coolant and go 50/50.

Neil
I want the best for my car. If factory stuff is better I really want to know.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

BMW AG coolant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Dackel, I was hoping you could help. The 1M is 4 years old now and I wanted to change the coolant but US dealers say it's not recommended and they make it sound like I will hurt my car if we change the coolant even if done by them with BMW Coolant. It is almost as if the German coolant is better than what we get in the US. I don't want to put cheap US BMW coolant if the German stuff is better. If it really is better, then I would like to know.

I have tried contacting BMW and all I get here is a "genius" and it is a joke. They don't know anything at that level they just read off the BMW USA service line.

Do you know any BMW engineers or someone at BMW that could find out what coolant is in our 1Ms from the factory and at what concentration? My guess is that it is some sort of Pentosin thing but the concentration is important.

Thank you.

This is what BMW dealer over here sell... a 1.5l bottle of concentrated coolant. You mix it 50/50 distilled water or better yet de-ionized water.

BMW p/n 83192211191

http://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-kuhlerf...z-1500-ml.html

BASF is also a well known coolant(Kühlerfrostschutz) supplier over here. You see this brand all over Germany in auto parts stores and gas stations on the Autobahn. Pentosin is also a good product. (bellow)

BASF Kühlerschutz GLYSANTIN® PROTECT PLUS-G48 1.5 Liter

http://www.amazon.de/BASF-K%C3%BChle...z++83192211191

I would absolutely change your coolant. At five years it's due to be changed. There is a lot going on with engine coolants - see this video...

Here is a good video on the German coolants like Pentosin...

Appreciate 1
      10-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

Thank you.
My dealer was happy to take my $ and perform a flush. Don't know about origin of the coolant they used, though.

Mike Miller's BMW Maintenance FAQ doesn't say anything about coolant type other than to use 50/50 distilled + BMW-branded coolant.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Depending on your car's miles... you might also want to change the water pump and thermostat(and the hoses and bolts to the pump) at the same time you change the coolant. That would be your best bet for long term maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

In addition to the p/n referenced above by Dackel, RealOEM lists ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...08#83192211191 ) the following as BMW EU coolants:

The *1914 one is, if I'm reading it correctly, one for Scandinavian cars. (?)
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Depending on your car's miles... you might also want to change the water pump and thermostat(and the hoses and bolts to the pump) at the same time you change the coolant. That would be your best bet for long term maintenance.
I've taken the stance of "when the waterpump fails it fails" with my 7 1/2 year old, 130,000 mile, waterpump.

These pumps seem to break immediately or last forever. You can buy a brand new waterpump and have it fail, so why would you change it preventatively?

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I've taken the stance of "when the waterpump fails it fails" with my 7 1/2 year old, 130,000 mile, waterpump.

These pumps seem to break immediately or last forever. You can buy a brand new waterpump and have it fail, so why would you change it preventatively?
You change it so one does not get stuck in the "bad section of town" or stuck in "no mans land" for a few days - while the closest dealer rapes you on parts and labor. I think you my friend on running on borrowed time.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think you my friend on running on borrowed time.
People have been telling me that about forty different parts on this car for years.

I've seen new waterpumps fail after 10-15K miles, so I don't really buy that reasoning. QA has always been a problem on these things, and that doesn't seem to be changing in the near future.

So yeah, my waterpump will probably fail at some point. All waterpumps do eventually. That didn't stop me from taking half a dozen work related road trips and autoxing the car a few times.

What's the point in being afraid of it?

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I feel the same way. Maybe have a pump on hand for when it does fail. But a new one could fail just as soon as the old one. Just bought an E90, 183,000 km, 9 years old, original pump.
Appreciate 0