BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

new 7 in the BMW showroom in London Park Lane

as title states, only phone photos but inpressive car in the metal so to speak.
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep

I should also add that the interior smelt really nice as well! Chamois leather smell is what it reminded me of.
More impressed with it than I thought I would be.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

More?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:53 PM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

I just hate that after 8-9yrs, BMW could/would not make much more difference that the F0. Especially the dash and inside.
      10-27-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep

I guess that's how it used to be, think back to the E38/E39 and E46.

Although not a potential 7 buyer, as I was walking past, I was interested to have a look. It actually took me a few looks before I realised it was the new 7, thought it was the previous version at first. I didn't sit in it but just walking around and poking my head in, it certainly felt like premium product. Lovely smell inside (already mentioned) although like I suspect some of us on these forums, not convinced about a few of the design features.
IDRIVE display - not sure why most manufacturers seem to be doing this now and making the display just stick out. It looks like an afterthought and jars with the rest of the car and in my personal opinion, makes it look cheap. Why can't it be integrated into the dash like the previous model? Why is this deemed better? (I'd love to pose this question to the designers and get a answer on this)
Headlights meeting kidney grill, still not quite sure about this.
The hockey stick as I think I've seen it described as, again this seems to be something that manufacturers seem to be doing, putting something here on the car where there was previously a plain panel. (It seems like the designers don't like bare panels and have to fill then up with some sort of feature) . I guess this will be a feature on new BMWs going forward.

As I say not a potential 7 customer but most likely a new 5 series owner in future (currently a F10 530d msport) and my guess is that the new 5 will be a smaller version of this with most if not all of the tech in it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
nextceo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

My understanding is the reason the User Screen now appears to "stick out" is because Government Regulations beginning for models released in 2015 and after are requiring those units to now be at or near eye level. That's why all the new Mercedes Cars are also now coming out with this same style.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

ah interesting. never knew that and that would explain that. i thought it might have been one of many "fashions" of the automotive world.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I just hate that after 8-9yrs, BMW could/would not make much more difference that the F0. Especially the dash and inside.
In my opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, or change it simply for change's sake. Every change should be purposeful / meaningful. Personally, I think the interior (especially the dash) is cleaner and more purposeful than my current F02 740Li. And I'm sooooo glad they did away with that awkward second glove box which, in my opinion, did nothing but break the clean horizontal lines of the dash. What I'll miss is the integrated CID. Having it plunked in the dash at first glance seems very awkward from a design perspective, but like most things over which I have no control, it'll grow on me over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
...Although not a potential 7 buyer, as I was walking past, I was interested to have a look. It actually took me a few looks before I realised it was the new 7, thought it was the previous version at first.
I agree the proportions of the car are very much the same, which contributes to the two being mistaken as the same car; but is that a bad thing? I love the exterior design of my current 7-Series, and am happy BMW isn't departing substantially from that design. The proportions are perfect.

Quote:
IDRIVE display - not sure why most manufacturers seem to be doing this now and making the display just stick out. It looks like an afterthought and jars with the rest of the car and in my personal opinion, makes it look cheap. Why can't it be integrated into the dash like the previous model? Why is this deemed better? (I'd love to pose this question to the designers and get a answer on this)
Blame government regulations for this change. Manufacturers are required to place these displays as high as possible on the dash to diminish driver distraction. You're going to see more of this.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0