BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Test drive: Australian spec X1 xDrive20d

10-26-2015, 02:41 AM   #1
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Test drive: Australian spec X1 xDrive20d

I had a decent (30k+) test drive of the new X1 today, and thought I'd share my thoughts and reactions.

The car I test drove is the diesel version of the two X1 xDrives that are coming to Australia initially. My interest is actually in the petrol version, the xDrive25i, but this diesel had a lot of (optional for it) kit that comes standard in the petrol version, so I thought it'd give me a good sense of the car.

I currently have a F20 M135i; my wife has a Golf GTD; we're looking to replace one of these.

1. Appearance
As others have said, it does look good -- like a smaller X5, and much nicer than the previous E84 -- less nose, a little more height, overall the car has more road presence. Despite this, it's just 100mm longer than my F20 1 series.

This car had standard 18" style 569 wheels, with 225/50 runflat tyres. I will likely spec 18" wheels rather than the 19" style 511 wheels with 225/45 RFTs that come standard with the 25i; a 19" 45 profile RFT shouts "harsh ride" to me, as some magazine reviews also attest.

2. Interior
This 20d was heavily optioned -- I don't have the full list, but it included panoramic sunroof and sports seats. The upholstery was full (black) Dakota leather with perforations. The cars come standard in Australia with full LED lighting inc High Beam Assist, Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant with rvc, navigation etc.

The interior is very roomy, spacious and comfortable. Sports seats would be a must for me, owning a M135i. They're electrically operated, with memories, yes, and there's a small storage compartment at the front of each on the Aus spec cars. The panoramic roof gives the car a lovely light and airy feel, even with the sunblind closed.

With the driver's seat in my comfortable driving position (I'm 1.75m tall), I would be very comfortable sitting in the rear seat behind me -- there's a LOT of room. Indeed, the Aus spec cars all have the sliding rear seats, and I could slide it two positions forward before I'd be outta there. The width is good, too, and the backrest is also adjustable. There's certainly room for baby seats.

The rear hatch area is quite disconcerting. That's because of the false floor, which hides a very deep compartment that could easily hold a space saver spare wheel and jack (you can guess my thinking). Even with this closed off, there's a good deal of room, plus you have the various options of rear seat(s) forward or folded. Most 2+2 families will fit easily.

3. Driving Position/Instruments
You immediately notice the additional ride height once inside. The layout is familiar to any current BMW owner, but you're just sitting a little higher; the nav screen isn't directly in your field of view, nor are you looking across an expanse of bonnet, but you can easily see, or sense, all four corners. The controls fall readily to hand -- especially THAT gear selector, which makes complete sense once you're sitting in the driver's seat.

4. On the Road
It's a very easy car to drive for me, as everything is familiar. Visibility is better than my M135, and the X1 drives about the same size, so it's easy to place on the road. The 20d has a 140kW / 400Nm output, and is well matched to the Aisin 8 sp auto; indeed, it's very smooth -- smoother, dare I say, than the ZF8AT in my M135i. The changes are smooth, and you don't really notice the engina at all. Kick-downs were smooth, as were manual changes using the steering wheel paddles (standard on the Aus spec). The engine/transmission combination gets you to any legal limit in quick time; it's no TLGP winner, nor is it a slug. About the same as the Golf GTD, but with a much smoother transmission.

Nor is there any real FWD bias sense. OK, so I wasn't launching this car, but kickdowns did not induce any big tugs on the steering wheel. Better in this respect than the Golf.

Handling is also good. There's no noticeable roll, turn in was positive, and the whole car feels solid and planted.

But the ride is a little firm. Not as firm as my M135, but firmer than the Golf. Broken surfaces are felt, both through the steering wheel and the seat of the pants. I reckon it's the runflats. I'd also love to try a car with Adaptive Dampers, but I'd order this $630 option without hesitation.

The ride is not uncomfortable by any means, just some surfaces make it feel unsettled.

Road noise is about the same as my M135i and the Golf. I expected less. It's those %&@# RFTs. But there's little wind noise, and on a smooth surfaced road, it's all quite serene. The thing is, most of Australia has coarse chip seals roads, so "quiet" will be hard to find. The "noise" heard is almost entirely due to the tyres; there was nothing adverse from the suspension, although that usually emerges over time in my experience.

Open the sunroof, and there's lost of wind noise, even if just tilted. 'Twas ever this, in my sunroof experience; it's an ambience thing for suburban touring, rather than highway driving.

5. Conclusions
I liked it a lot, and so did my wife as passenger. More than I thought I would, based on magazine reviews. I could certainly live with it as a daily driver. But I'd need to do a couple of things to enhance the ride: 18" wheels and the optional Adaptive Suspension; the Sports Seats also. But I'd also be minded to dump the RFTs for a standard set of tyres, and add a spacesave spare and jacking kit.

The other question is the value for money issue. Specified like for like, the X1 is about $AUD1,500 more than the MB GLA250, before haggle. But, and this is a bigger issue for me as I'll cross-shop aggressively, it's only $1k less than the new MB GLC 220d, which is a class above, just that bit more spacious, and has many more features. I think the MB GLC will have a more comfortable ride from the beginning, too. Sure, it has a bit less performance, but much better economy. Interesting!

Let the haggling begin!

Happy to answer any questions that I can.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 04:28 AM   #2
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

Thanks ttimbo for your review! It's always interesting to read other people's experiences on their test drive. Thought I would share mine as well.

I agree with most of what you wrote, even though our test car was the xDrive25i petrol equipped with 19" wheels, standard suspension and standard seats. My current vehicle is a current-gen Mercedes A200 hatch, which also has run-flat tyres. My wife and I test drove the X1 for about 15km today, through inner-city streets and a brief run on a freeway with medium traffic.

The good: Responsive engine and gearbox, very smooth and fairly quick changes, more responsive and less laggy than the Mercedes with the DCT. In Sport mode there is a slight bark in the exhaust note on upshifts. Handling is excellent for an SUV, light, direct and sharp steering, good brake pedal feel. It's an easy car to drive, and can be moderately quick if pressed. Felt like driving a taller-riding warm hatchback. Lots of headroom and legroom front and rear, and flexible cargo space usage. Interior design is quite nice, particularly with the larger iDrive screen and matt wood trim.

The bad: The ride. Almost every Australian review last week has criticised the ride, and the test drive only confirmed what they wrote. The suspension is too firm for a premium SUV without sporting intentions. It's not an AMG or M-badged car but the suspension feels like it could be from a sporting SUV. It's either the run-flat tyres or stiff springs, or both. I would say the ride is almost on par with my A Class, which isn't known for its ride quality either. There is no car with adaptive suspension in the country yet, so any improvement in comfort from the adaptive dampers can only be speculative. The tyre noise/rumble even on a relatively smooth freeway, plus some wind noise gives the impression the car isn't particularly well insulated. It's not an ambience that feels 'premium'. The standard seats are dreadful, the base is so short they are probably only comfortable for people <165cm tall. Started to feel a slight cramp/tiredness in my legs from the lack of support after about 15 mins. The sports seats would be an absolute must for me to be comfortable on a longer journey.

The price: Seems like there is little to no discount to be had at the moment, being a brand new model (although Mercedes seems to be already offering discounts on the yet-to-be-released GLC, so it's probably more about dealer greed than newness of the car). I have been quoted around $74k driveaway by two dealers, which is far above the Mercedes GLA250 and Audi Q3 Quattro (granted it's an old design but is still a valid competitor), and right in the GLC territory. I have a feeling when Mercedes starts selling the GLC like hotcakes in the next few months, BMW will start looking at their own numbers and be more proactive in discounting to secure sales. I think we will wait till the next year to make our decision, when the M Sport cars arrive to see how the adaptive dampers cope with our roads. I can see us buying one if the car rides better with adaptive and if the pricing comes down a bit.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Thanks Philip. So, the xDrive25i has the 19" wheels with run flats. This makes NO sense on an SUV, especially in Australia. Peter Robinson was the first and so far, the only motoring journalist to point out what an oxymoron these "over" tyre fitments are, as they're incapable of doing much, if anything, for handling, but totally screw up the ride, and are loud.

Actually, I'd love to try an X1 with 17" wheels and 55 profile non RFTs. I bet it's quiet, and rides as smoothly as an SUV should...without comprising handling the way the supplied set up comprises ride/noise.

On pricing, I am quoting differentials between OTR RRPs, not any discounts vs RRPs. There may be state tax and dealer delivery charge differences between the states but I'd expect the differentials to be similar within a state.

At this stage, the (undriven) GLC looks pretty compelling. I guess I'll have to wait until 2 December to make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Totally agree with your comments on 19" wheels. Our roads aren't any better than yours. But fortunately, the 18" isn't as crashy as I thought. 17" is only available with the base SE version here in the UK. I would've picked the 17" 561 (available in Germany) instead of the standard 18" if it were available. It's sort of a mini 490 which I think looks fantastic on the X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Thanks for your review ttimbo, very informative. We're looking at downsizing from our current F25 X3 and on paper the new X1 looks the goods. Hopefully will get the time for a test drive ourselves probably this next weekend.

I was particularly interested in your comments on ride comfort and noise. As you're probably aware (and Phillip also mentioned) basically every single one of the motoring press reviews from the X1's Australian launch in Northern NSW last week, while generally positive, have all made critical comment about the ride comfort and suspension noise in particular. I was interested to read you didn't think suspension noise was an issue.

Hopefully we'll have a better idea after we've had a test drive. But it is a little frustrating that BMW doesn't have any models yet in Australia with the variable suspension.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Tony, I'm not sure what you mean by "suspension noise". There's no adverse thumps, klangs or bangs. But the ride is quite brittle, so if you have a case of wine in the back, it may rattle. In this respect, the ride is no less comfortable than my F20 M135, but it has a suspension tuned for handling more than comfort. Virtually all the noise I heard is tyre generated, transmitted to the car through the low profile, hard sidewall RFTs. Wind noise is fine, although deteriorates (as in most cars) with a window down, or the sunroof open. FYI, my test drive route is a mix of suburban streets, rural roads and 110 kph highway, so it gives me a pretty good idea about a car in most of the driving conditions I experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #7
r999
Rep
Drives: 550i

I drove an X1 this week on 18" wheels. The ride was in no way objectionable by BMW standards. I'd say that of the dozen or so BMWs I've driven over the past 20 years, it was above average. What made it nice to drive, though,was not the ride as such but the high stiffness of the body shell: the car feels as though it is made from a single piece. I'm old enough to recall all sorts of cars where you could sense the bulkhead twisting and the back end wriggling quite out of phase with the front when you started chucking it around.

It's not all good news, though. The steering on the car I drove was over-light and lacking in feedback. A lot worse than one of the great-steering BMWs of not so many years ago.

And I too was not impressed by the tyre noise.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 03:44 AM   #8
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Finally found the time to have a quick (~30min) test drive of the new X1 (X1 25i). I won't regurgitate ttimbo's review which pretty much covered most of the things I found. Just love the amount of rear seat legroom (even if access is a little tight) and yes that huge underfloor space in the boot certainly has possibilities I suspect very much along the lines ttimbo was thinking.

The big takeaway for me was that contrary to most of the Australian reviews of the X1, I didn't find the noise from the suspension was that bad and even the ride comfort was OK (the 25i rides on 19" wheels as standard). Not as comfortable a ride as my F25 X3 but certainly not unacceptable.

The big downside - as a number of people have now mentioned - is the tyre noise. Totally unacceptable in my mind for a luxury vehicle. Other downsides was a return to an old-style mechanical auto gear selector (compared with the electronic gear selector in my F25) and the lack of an auto-hold button on the electronic handbrake. Again coming from an F25 X3 its something I've really got used to over the last four years.

To put things in perspective immediately after this I had a similar test drive of a LCI 330i sedan (we would be interested in a 330i wagon but none was available). What a ride. Despite riding on 19" low profile tyres the ride (in comfort mode) was better than the X1. And there was simply next to no road or tyre noise. A similarly equipped 330i wagon costs around $20k or 25% more than a X1 25i, but its just simply a much better car to drive. Its really given me something to think about. I suspect I'll have to start paying attention to the F30 forum.

Tony
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #9
ttimbo
Major
Rep

So I've ordered a xDrive 25i, with sports seats, adjustable dampers and the panoramic roof. I've also downsized to the 18" wheels (a NCO) but it's not possible to order non-RFTs in Australia. I want a 2016 build, meaning it won't be delivered until late March. In the meantime, I'm going to look around for some 17-18" wheels, on which I can run standard tyres, as well as a space-saver and wheel change kit. Let the waiting begin!
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
r999
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
A similarly equipped 330i wagon costs around $20k or 25% more than a X1 25i, but its just simply a much better car to drive. Its really given me something to think about. I suspect I'll have to start paying attention to the F30 forum.

Tony
Compare the view of Andrew English who writes in the Daily Telegraph and is to my mind perhaps the best motoring journalist in the UK at present:

"You might wonder why people bother with something like this when a BMW 3-series Touring with four-wheel drive costs less and is better in virtually every way, and you’d be right to do so. But at least the X1 is now competitive with its direct rivals."

Some pricing differences at work here, by the sound of it, but I'm sure both you and he are right about the car's abilities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/bmw/...5-first-drive/
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
So I've ordered a xDrive 25i, with sports seats, adjustable dampers and the panoramic roof.
Congrats ttimbo on your purchase! Same spec as what we were originally after, but now considering the M Sport package (hoping the ride isn't any worse). Interesting that you took the 18" wheel option, they should improve ride compliance a little until you get the RFTs off later (I'm definitely getting non-RFTs tyres on my Mercedes when they get replaced). Did you get a good deal on your X1?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #12
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Yes, happy with my deal. I like the M-Sport visual additions, but I'm not sure the suspension would do the X1 any favours. Just my hunch.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r999 View Post
Compare the view of Andrew English who writes in the Daily Telegraph and is to my mind perhaps the best motoring journalist in the UK at present:

"You might wonder why people bother with something like this when a BMW 3-series Touring with four-wheel drive costs less and is better in virtually every way, and you’d be right to do so. But at least the X1 is now competitive with its direct rivals."

Some pricing differences at work here, by the sound of it, but I'm sure both you and he are right about the car's abilities........
There's absolutely no argument in my mind that a 3 Series wagon is a better drive than the new X1 (and we only have RWD sedans and wagons here - no Xdrive AWDs - Xdrive is only available on SUVs). But its a question of how much value you put on that driving experience. If the prices were similar than I agree, the 330i wagon would be a no-brainer. But unfortunately prices here in Australia are what they are and an extra 25% over a similarly equipped X1 25i is a big ask. This is especially so when you consider some of the pluses for the X1 - slightly more elbow/shoulder room, I'm sure more rear seat legroom and even the boot on the X1 has more volume than a 3 series wagon.

The big issue I've got with the X1, is the ride and tyre noise issues which hopefully I'll be able to investigate a bit more. I certainly like ttimbo's route of down-spec'ing wheel size, and then swapping out the runflats for conventional tyres and a space saver under the floor in the boot.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #14
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
So I've ordered a xDrive 25i, with sports seats, adjustable dampers and the panoramic roof. I've also downsized to the 18" wheels (a NCO) but it's not possible to order non-RFTs in Australia........
Also congratulations on the decision. It really is annoying with not just the issue of the runflats, but BMW Australia's continuing obsession with putting larger and larger wheels on their models. I'm sorry, I don't care how much better people may think large wheels and lower profile tyres may look but putting 19" wheels on a small vehicle is just crazy. What compounds my annoyance is when you look at the glossy brochure of the new X1 (which in common with all BMW product brochures is an international version), across the entire F48 X1 range, the standard wheel size is 17". Yet we do not even get this as an option in Australia with 18" wheels being the smallest available even on the lowest spec X1 sDrive18d.

Sorry rant over. Hope the time between now and March flies for you. We've got to look further into the wheel/tyre issue before we come to a decision. We'll be having a test drive of a 20d (with its 18" wheels) over the weekend so hopefully that might give us some pointers as to what is possible. I did ask about a test drive of an X1 with the adaptive dampers but was told that none of the test drive cars in Australia have this option and are not likely to get any in the near future.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #15
ttimbo
Major
Rep

"Over-tyring" is not just a BMW issue - it's with most of the Euro brands, and perhaps M-B is the worst offender. But at least you can get smaller wheels and non-RFTs on some of their models, eg, C class.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #16
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Had another test drive of an X1 over the weekend - this time the 20d. At tho stage we'll be giving the X1 a miss for now. Bottom line is while in itself the X1's not a bad car, compared with our 4-year old F25 X3 30d we feel its a real step downward in practically every aspect. For what are for us the key areas of ride comfort, performance and road noise it doesn't come close to matching our current X3 and these are areas we are not prepared to compromise.

So for now the "do nothing" option is looking attractive although we are now going to look more closely at the option of a 3 Series wagon.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 04:42 AM   #17
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm joining the BMW club in ordering the new X1! Took the car for another test drive for about 1/2 hour by myself today and pushed it pretty hard, happy enough with the power and handling balance, and the ride wasn't quite as harsh as I found last time (on different roads). Tested an emergency stop and flung it through corners with tyres screeching for grip - it's no sports car but as an SUV the limits are pretty high with good safety margin for normal driving. I was prepared to buy it if the price was attractive enough, and after some negotiating I was satisfied with the deal (sufficiently less than an optioned-up GLC 250 would cost). Specified for 2016 build date so won't be taking delivery until sometime in March.

Specs:
xDrive25i in Alpine White
M Sport Package - adaptive dampers, sports seats
Panoramic sunroof
Sun protection glazing
DAB+ radio
Cargo mat
5 yrs/80,000km BSI servicing (Corporate)
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #18
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Congrats....sounds like we're in the same boat...or our cars will be!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #19
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Haha yeah I think so ttimbo!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 05:34 AM   #20
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe, F48 X1 xDr25i

starting to plan to bite the bullet on this one. does anybody here have the prices of each option? RRP is ok -- just need to start working out ballpark figures for each configuration. looking at either xDrive 20d or xDrive 25i -- and since the 25i has a lot standard, am thinking if it's worth getting an equivalently equipped 20d -- so would be great if anybody has options pricing. tia
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 07:02 AM   #21
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi eml, hope this helps, it's the AU spec and pricing guide:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0edo66pbmh...20F48.pdf?dl=0

It's an earlier version but prices are the same, the only thing missing in it is the M Sport Package, which is $2200 on the xDrive25i (I think it's $2900 on the other models).
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #22
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe, F48 X1 xDr25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipF1 View Post
Hi eml, hope this helps, it's the AU spec and pricing guide:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0edo66pbmh...20F48.pdf?dl=0

It's an earlier version but prices are the same, the only thing missing in it is the M Sport Package, which is $2200 on the xDrive25i (I think it's $2900 on the other models).
Perfect -- thanks PhilipF1!
Appreciate 0