BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Mercedes GLC

10-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Mercedes GLC

Any day now Mercedes will be releasing its GLC SUV. I think I might wait to compare it to the BMW X1. I know the GLA might be more comparable but the GLC isn't much more price wise.

I sat in the GLA and it felt a little cramped for me. What's cool is the GLC will be available with an adjustable height and suspension. The X1 won't have that here in USA. I got a feeling the GLC might ride a little more softer/smoother than the X1. I like that. However I'm not exactly in love with the GLC looks. It looks kinda like a station wagon (estate) and less like an SUV. It reminds me of an Audi Allroad crossover. The X1 looks much better than the GLC.

Anyone else considering the Mercedes GLC?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:48 AM   #2
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Anyone else considering the Mercedes GLC?
Optioned equivalently to the X1 I ordered the GLC is about $51K and the X1 was about $45K, so about $13% more for the GLC. The GLC is not hugely more expensive, but in my book about $6K is still quite a bit.

Totally agree that the GLC is not as good looking as the X1. However, the GLC has a nicer more luxurious interior, IMHO, and probably better seats than the stock X1 seats.

The GLC is about 10" longer and has slightly more carrying capacity than the X1. With seats folded the X1 cargo volume (54.7 cubic feet) is nearly equal to the GLC (56.5 cubic feet), about 97%.

The X1 will be easier to park in city parking spots.

The X1 is a bit faster with a 0-60mph acceleration of 6.3s versus the GLC at 7.0s. Most likely the ride in the X1 will be sportier.

The GLC is rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. The X1 is front-biased all-wheel drive only (in the US) and is available FWD-only in some markets.

Tough choice. Both have their pros and cons, and both appear to be great vehicles.

Last edited by ShinySteelRobot; 10-30-2015 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 01:02 AM   #3
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Certainly no harm in cross-shopping the X1 against the GLC but I do believe the GLC is more a competitor to the X3 rather than the X1. You may as well include the X3 in your comparisons. I do recall some discussion in the F25 X3 forum on the GLC vs the X3.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 01:14 AM   #4
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

We are considering both the X1 and GLC as well. They shouldn't really be direct competitors but there's not a huge difference in price between them. The GLC fundamentally may be a better car due to being based on the C Class platform (rather than the Mini small car platform for the X1). I would expect the GLC to ride better and feel more substantial. The interior is undeniably classy. I agree the X1 exterior looks more dynamic and appeals to a younger demographic, and is the quicker and sportier of the two. Mercedes is more about comfort and luxury.

I feel the X1 is expensive at present relative to the GLA250 AMG-Line and the Audi Q3 Sport Quattro, and almost on par with the larger Lexus NX200t F Sport. GLC250 with a few essential options is about $10-12k AUD more than X1 xDrive25i going by prices that people are paying and Mercedes seems more willing to discount. Being a Mercedes owner we'll get an invite to the GLC launch shortly, so we shall see. Still leaning towards the more compact X1 but interested to see if the GLC will impress us enough to spend the extra for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 03:31 AM   #5
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I was hugely tempted by the GLC, and actively cross-shopped. On rrps, there's little between the base GLC220d, and either the xDrive25i or an optioned 20d in Australia. Ultimately, my BMW dealer has recognized my loyalty with a deal for the X1 that makes it a good $AUD10k better than the GLC220d.

Joey...yes...the GLC offers air-matic adjustable suspension, but it's quite an expensive option. All GLCs coming to Australia have adjustable dampers, though, similar to BMW's adaptive dampers.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #6
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

I think the GLC looks great, not as good as the X1, but definitely worth a look! I drove the GLA and while I love the look of it, the backend looks odd and the size is small with two little kids IMO. I also felt like visibility could be an issue. Looking forward to taking the GLC out.

Last edited by Upgrade15; 11-06-2015 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

While the GLC looks good fully equipped its in the price range of the X3 in Germany, so will hardly be cross-shopped with the X1 here.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
Verker
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: MB C-Class 220 T-Model

Well, BMW is overpriving its mini platform based models so hard, that the step up to an SUV of the next / upper class (even if its an expensive mercedes) becomes nearly irrelevant. A decently equipped X1 price is such a laugh, i can get my mercedes dealer to sell me a GLC for nearly the price. And even if the gap was like 5 grand, many buyers will opt for the bigger car.

That said, i can fully understand the OPs question, since i am currently xshopping between these cars myself. That said, i think BMW is missing a top opportunity to increase its market share, since models like the X1 or their recently release small vans would make great lifestyle city cars for small families - if they would be affordable for families... Why should i throw 47.000,- Euros on a decently equipped 2 wheel driven diesel X1, when i could nearly by a c-class with a more powerful engine for just the price (relates to Europe / Austrian prices)?

Bottom line: Either the price tags on the X1 are just too steep, or they have to put a lot more equipment into them (better seats / audio / climate controls / parking sensors) which at the moment you have to spend thousands of Euros to attach to your standard models. In the end thats just too much, and its not the we are the poorest household around...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 01:37 AM   #9
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

I wonder if they're worried about supply issues to other markets like the problems they had with the original launch of the E84. Keep the pricing high in the Euro market where they know enough people will pay it and sell them cheaper in the NA market to increase market share and grab a bigger slice of the expanding CUV pie.

The F48 X1 is the cheapest AWD vehicle BMW sells in the US and it's comparably priced to the Mini Countryman S.
Appreciate 0