THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA replacement windscreen

11-05-2015, 03:01 AM   #1
SeymourAbaron
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i coupe estrol blue

replacement windscreen

I had the bad luck of a of a large stone hit my windscreen on the way home from up north in NSW.
It way over in a split second, anyway the short of it was my GIO insurance covers a free screen each year.
To my horror I was told there is no new screen from BMW in stock [ 4 weeks delivery from EU]. O'briens said that the screen is same as 1 series and is in stock and is identical.
Well this morning I had it replaced and it turned out to come from china
I must admit I had reservations but they said its 100% guaranteed.

I got to say it is absolutely the same in every way except no BMW logo.
The auto wipers work as before and every thing is as OEM.
There are two side alignment marks, which i will remove with a blade.

So if anyone has this issue my install was done in little over 1 hour , so dont leave any sleep over the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

If the 2 series windscreen is in fact identical to the 1 series, it's difficult to believe that BMW spare parts do not have the 1 series replacement available as well. Given that GIO is paying for the new part, I would have insisted on OEM. Made in China car stuff does not instil much confidence in me, just me.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M235i
If the 2 series windscreen is in fact identical to the 1 series, it's difficult to believe that BMW spare parts do not have the 1 series replacement available as well. Given that GIO is paying for the new part, I would have insisted on OEM. Made in China car stuff does not instil much confidence in me, just me.
Lol everything is made in China... Anyways if it was me I'd wait for genuine BMW even though it's probably exactly the same thing. Let's put it this way if I had to pay for it myself I'd probably go for the cheaper China option (assuming it's cheaper), but since it's an insurance job just for piece of mind I'd go oem...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
Lol everything is made in China... Anyways if it was me I'd wait for genuine BMW even though it's probably exactly the same thing.....
I just assume you're kidding but we did agree on insurance and OEM
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #5
2Banger
M POSTER
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2er

Quote:
Lol everything is made in China... Anyways if it was me I'd wait for genuine BMW even though it's probably exactly the same thing. Let's put it this way if I had to pay for it myself I'd probably go for the cheaper China option (assuming it's cheaper), but since it's an insurance job just for piece of mind I'd go oem...
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M235i
Quote:
Lol everything is made in China... Anyways if it was me I'd wait for genuine BMW even though it's probably exactly the same thing.....
I just assume you're kidding but we did agree on insurance and OEM
For me it's very 50/50... In my mind especially car stuff I still prefer genuine euro oem stuff... But I know a lot of parts are probably manufactured in China and assembled in Germany (maybe I'm wrong), anyways a lot of stuff are preferred to be made in China nowadays, not only for the price but for quality... Therefore "made in China" for a lot of things don't have a "bad stigma" for me...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M235i View Post
Quote:
For me it's very 50/50... In my mind especially car stuff I still prefer genuine euro oem stuff... But I know a lot of parts are probably manufactured in China and assembled in Germany (maybe I'm wrong), anyways a lot of stuff are preferred to be made in China nowadays, not only for the price but for quality... Therefore "made in China" for a lot of things don't have a "bad stigma" for me...
I don't disagree with you that a lot of good stuff comes out of China and unfortunately a lot of not so good stuff too.

When I comment on car forums, I try to be very careful to put my responses in context (as I have embolden above) and to stay within OP's post. In this case, Chinese replacement windscreens.

If you pop out to your garage and look at your 235 and friend's 1M, I would be very surprised if the windscreen and window glass aren't stamped/branded BMW and supplied by one of these companies - Pilkington, St. Gobain, Guardian, Sisecam etc. Glass replacement has been discussed ad nauseam on VW Audi and BMW forums and most have landed on the same conclusion - go (i) BMW OEM (branded BMW), (ii) BMW supplied (OEM but not branded BMW) or (iii) OEM supplied but not (iv) after market glass like Chinese XYG etc. Not surprisingly, prices apply in descending order.

If insurance coverage applies, get (i) and (ii), like most of us have suggested. If there is no insurance, check and obtain (iii). That said, (iv) glass may work just fine, who knows.

OP, if you wish to, you could check your glass stamp to see if it's XYG supplied to O'Brien.
Appreciate 0