BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Spot Free Wash for 1M

So VO shows every single imperfection especially water spots so from the guy that brought you the AWAK Device, a new idea. San Diego water is actually a "legally" potable calcium slurry mix that is very, very hard. I looked at several devices to make spot free water including one manufactured locally. I was all set to buy and contacted the manufacturer asking for a demo but they don't give any and they close at 4PM. Of course I work, so that wouldn't work.

I read several reviews and two common themes emerged.
1. With very hard water like San Diego's many people were only getting about 3-4 washes per refill of filtering agent which costs about $90 a pop, plus about $450 for the machine.

2. If you don't use it often, you can get mold buildup in the filter canisters that sit long periods as is the case with home users. Then after reading one of the reviews someone made a comment that at those prices, buying distilled water at $1 a gallon made more senses. So that got me thinking.

I tested the concept buy buying 10 gallons of distilled water. I washed the car with regular soap and water then did a final rinse by pouring the distilled water over the car to dilute and wash away the hard water. This worked but it took all 10 gallons and I was not able to shoot water in cracks where there was soap and regular tap water. Then I looked for some sort of tank with electric pump and found this machine. Caraid Multipurpose Portable Pressure Washer with Water Tank, 12v Car Washer

For under $100 it holds 8.5 gallons of water and has an electric pump and nozzle with a hose that is plenty long for 1M. This unit connects to the lighter outlet which I didn't like. I didn't want a wire sticking out the door while washing but I found an AC - DC adapter at Frys for under $30 which has a female lighter socket and supports 6 amps just as the sprayer requires. It's called the SUNFORCE 55522 5.8Amp AC to DC Adapter

I put it together and filled it up and got to work. I did the first rinse with tap water, then soaped it up. I then rinsed it with distilled water working from the roof down the sides and wheels. I was able to completely and thoroughly rinse the entire car with 7 gallons total. I might have even been able to do 6 but 7 was more than plenty.

I'm not sure how long it will last as it looks like a cheap Chinese sprayer but it worked really well. The pressure was disappointing at first. It seemed like heavy mister but then I realized it was more than enough to safely rinse without lifting the clear bra etc. I let it sit for some time and shammy dried. No spots.

I bought it on ebay from a seller called Caraid888 for $89 plus about $10 in shipping. Came in about a week and everything worked. They even give you two extra O rings for the hose.

I have only used it one time and will post later to see how long it lasts but I am really excited about my budget spot-free rinse.

PS. Remember....Drinking water is not the same as distilled water!!!

Use distilled water.
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 11-07-2015 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

We have very hard water where I live, also (around 12 grains per gallon), however water softeners are both legal and common here. We also don't have a severe water shortage, as is currently going on in California.

I don't have any significant problems with softened water in my pressure washer, as regards spotting, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Looks the the ship has already sailed but could consider using Optimum No Rinse Wash with DI water.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Looks the the ship has already sailed but could consider using Optimum No Rinse Wash with DI water.
Not familiar with it but no rinse sounds sketchy. I feel more comfy with a final rinse. In sure there are better ways like water softeners etc but just wanted to share my experience with you guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
We also have hard water, so I wash either early AM or just before sunset so that there is very little evaporation, otherwise I get pretty bad spots. I dry with a synthetic chamois.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

We have really hard water as well, but with a good high flow softener, spotting is nearly non existent and pressure is still enough to blast bugs off the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Not familiar with it but no rinse sounds sketchy. I feel more comfy with a final rinse. In sure there are better ways like water softeners etc but just wanted to share my experience with you guys.
You would be wrong to not use the optimum no rinse product. I polished my 1er to perfect and coated with opti-coat and after three years there are practically no instilled defects since then. If you was with optimum no rinse properly you will achieve the results you are looking for which are:
No hard water residue
No instilled swirls
Minimal water usage
Cost effectiveness
      11-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
I have to second optimum no rinse... Been using it for years.. Fantastic product. Also, invest in a really good waffle weave drying towel and wash and dry your car one panel at a time.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
I have to second optimum no rinse... Been using it for years.. Fantastic product. Also, invest in a really good waffle weave drying towel and wash and dry your car one panel at a time.
My car came from Toronto also and has a fresh coat of Opti-coat and it still water spotted washing in the evening. I think results might be different depending on the hardening of the water where you live.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I googled Toronto water hardness and got this:

The average hardness for Toronto water is 124 milligram per litre ( or parts per million) in terms of calcium carbonate as per the most recent Drinking Water Analysis Summary (2011). That is equivalent to 8.7 grains per imperial gallon or 7.1 grains per US gallon. http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgeb...000041537.html

San Diego averages about 15.4 grains per gallon (gr/gal)
http://www.sandiego.gov/water/quality/faqs.shtml

When I drove cross country from Toronto to San Diego I got caught in several rain showers that were followed by bright sun and I noticed that the car dried spot free. I also washed it in Nebraska with tap water and it cleaned up well but once I got to San Diego, it water spots if not careful.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I googled Toronto water hardness and got this:

The average hardness for Toronto water is 124 milligram per litre ( or parts per million) in terms of calcium carbonate as per the most recent Drinking Water Analysis Summary (2011). That is equivalent to 8.7 grains per imperial gallon or 7.1 grains per US gallon. http://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgeb...000041537.html

San Diego averages about 15.4 grains per gallon (gr/gal)
http://www.sandiego.gov/water/quality/faqs.shtml

When I drove cross country from Toronto to San Diego I got caught in several rain showers that were followed by bright sun and I noticed that the car dried spot free. I also washed it in Nebraska with tap water and it cleaned up well but once I got to San Diego, it water spots if not careful.
That's easy, NachoB, just move to Nebraska!

The weather sucks, but your car will dry SPOT FREE!

Hope this helps :-)
Appreciate 0