THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan intercooler available for F22/F23

11-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #1
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Dinan intercooler available for F22/F23

Here is the product description:

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d33...-428i-n20-n26/

What do you think? I am not sure about this mod. The HP increases are modest at $900+ plus labor and I don't know what to make of the various qualifications such as:

- No active cruise control (do I have that on my 228i?)

- Works best with Stage 3 tune (only Stage 1 available for N20/26)

- Fit tested only with M Tech bumper (do I have that on my 228i M Sport?)

All in all, it does not seem to be a good idea for the N20/N26, especially as the Stage 3 tune is not available (and probably never will be). Are there any significant benefits for road use? It might really make a Stage 3-tuned M235i fly (if that tune is even available for the M235i) but it does not look like a good bet for the 228i.

(Mods: I posted this here rather than in the dedicated engine forums as it applies to both the N55 and the N20).

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

Improved cooling might not boost peak power that much, but it should allow your car to be flogged longer without suffering heat soak and the associated power loss. Whether that's worth it to you depends on whether you push your engine for extended periods and overload the stock cooling system, which incidentally seems pretty good on the M sport, even with a tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

As far as active cruise control, I didn't even think that was an option on US 228s
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape1 View Post
As far as active cruise control, I didn't even think that was an option on US 228s
Yes, with apologies I must confess that I do not even know what that is. I have never used any form of CC with which my various cars have been equipped.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #5
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrape1 View Post
Improved cooling might not boost peak power that much, but it should allow your car to be flogged longer without suffering heat soak and the associated power loss. Whether that's worth it to you depends on whether you push your engine for extended periods and overload the stock cooling system, which incidentally seems pretty good on the M sport, even with a tune.
Yes, enhanced cooling is definitely a great reason to go for the M Sport, especially as I suspect this engine runs pretty hot. It's not true that the M Sport option is entirely aesthetic.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
As pointed out earlier, a larger FMIC will allow for multiple hard runs or track usage with the heat soak that occurs with the OEM FMIC. However, having just un-installed an ER FMIC, if the capacity is large enough you may encounter the turbo running out of breath so to speak. I noticed that above 5.5k the turbo really nosed over, and I'm not the only one who noticed this.

You will not gain any additional HP or Torque, but you will be letting your engine have a lower IAT which will result in longer life.

Additionally, throttle off to full boost will take longer as you have a larger area to charge back up. This was also noticed on my tuned 228.

Even if my ER FMIC fit correctly, I have no doubt that I would have removed it for the above reasons since I don't track or play at the drag strip, but just jumping into the throttle around town there was a noticeable "lag" for lack of a better description.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 11:20 PM   #7
s1uma1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Hm... So seems like intercooler may be better when done in conjunction with upgraded turbo?
Appreciate 0