F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 2015 F30 with DINAN Springs and DINAN Bumpstops
proTUNING Freaks

11-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i XD Alpine white

Exclamation 2015 F30 with DINAN Springs and DINAN Bumpstops

I Had DINAN springs and DINAN bump stops installed on my 15' F30. Gave it a few weeks for the springs to settle in and got an alignment.

The car looks to be lowered more in the rear than in the front. Does anyone else with DINAN springs have this issue? I understand that it's a 3/4 inch drop all around, so... I do not understand why the car looks more lowered in the rear as opposed to the front.

Could it be since the wheels in the rear are wider than the wheels in front it gives the car that "look" or the shop where I had the springs and bump stops installed messed up and installed the front in the rear and the rear in the front?

Any opinions? suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVass View Post
I Had DINAN springs and DINAN bump stops installed on my 15' F30. Gave it a few weeks for the springs to settle in and got an alignment.

The car looks to be lowered more in the rear than in the front. Does anyone else with DINAN springs have this issue? I understand that it's a 3/4 inch drop all around, so... I do not understand why the car looks more lowered in the rear as opposed to the front.

Could it be since the wheels in the rear are wider than the wheels in front it gives the car that "look" or the shop where I had the springs and bump stops installed messed up and installed the front in the rear and the rear in the front?

Any opinions? suggestions?
Dinan cars typically have a slight rake to them (xDrive cars typically appear a bit more level though). If you have a picture of it please post it but if the back has a much smaller wheel gap then the front their may be a problem and I would take it back to the installer and perhaps have them call our technical support to ensure they were installed properly.
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Dinan cars typically have a slight rake to them (xDrive cars typically appear a bit more level though). If you have a picture of it please post it but if the back has a much smaller wheel gap then the front their may be a problem and I would take it back to the installer and perhaps have them call our technical support to ensure they were installed properly.
Thank you, Ill take pictures and post them up tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just spoke with the shop where I had the springs and bumpstops installed. they will take a look at the car next monday.... The install was not done by a authorized DINAN dealer/installer... Is there a difference in installation between DINAN springs and other springs?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just spoke with the shop where I had the springs and bumpstops installed. they will take a look at the car next monday.... The install was not done by a authorized DINAN dealer/installer... Is there a difference in installation between DINAN springs and other springs?
No difference in Dinan springs compared to other springs outside of varying spring rates and what not but BMW front springs in general are different than any other brands so if they are not familiar with BMW's there could be a problem there. BMW front springs are bowed to compensate for the angle of the strut for example while everyone else uses a straight spring to my knowledge. BMW springs also have what most shops think are 2 location markers on the springs for pigtails where as only 1 is an actual location marker and the other is actually a back support.

There's a whole bunch of possibilities though as to what may be going on ranging from they installed the spring upside down, don't have it angle/rotated correctly to go along with the locator mentioned above, or perhaps something more sinister is going on and something else got damaged on install. Most of those though would also result in some noise or unpleasant ride quality to go along with it and not just the visual aspect.

As I mentioned earlier though-- xDrive springs do tend to sit a bit higher so if it's not as bad as I am envisioning however it may be just fine and just the way it is. Measure the distance from the ground to the upper wheel well on front and back. If its essentially even then it's most likely fine. If the measurement is higher on the front though chances are something is amiss.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No difference in Dinan springs compared to other springs outside of varying spring rates and what not but BMW front springs in general are different than any other brands so if they are not familiar with BMW's there could be a problem there. BMW front springs are bowed to compensate for the angle of the strut for example while everyone else uses a straight spring to my knowledge. BMW springs also have what most shops think are 2 location markers on the springs for pigtails where as only 1 is an actual location marker and the other is actually a back support.

There's a whole bunch of possibilities though as to what may be going on ranging from they installed the spring upside down, don't have it angle/rotated correctly to go along with the locator mentioned above, or perhaps something more sinister is going on and something else got damaged on install. Most of those though would also result in some noise or unpleasant ride quality to go along with it and not just the visual aspect.

As I mentioned earlier though-- xDrive springs do tend to sit a bit higher so if it's not as bad as I am envisioning however it may be just fine and just the way it is. Measure the distance from the ground to the upper wheel well on front and back. If its essentially even then it's most likely fine. If the measurement is higher on the front though chances are something is amiss.
Thank you, I will take pictures and measurements today and post the results tonight when I get back from work.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Quote:
[img]20151124_144542[/img]
You need to either upload the pic to a hosting site like Photobucket then post the link or attach a pic directly from.your pc.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #8
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yeah, tried uploading it from my phone. I'll post them from my pc when I get home from work later tonight. Thanks!

6 Speed manual, AWE exhaust and mid pipe, DINAN intake, ER charge pipe, Wagner down pipe, JB4 and blue tooth connect kit, VMR wheels, DINAN springs with bump stops, DINAN shock ware tuning
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 02:04 AM   #9
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah142/joshvass/F30/20151124_144423_zpsetzxrof0.jpg" border="0" alt="" />[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 02:08 AM   #10
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 02:10 AM   #11
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 02:11 AM   #12
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 02:13 AM   #13
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 02:14 AM   #14
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 02:15 AM   #15
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
You need to either upload the pic to a hosting site like Photobucket then post the link or attach a pic directly from.your pc.
Uploaded pictures... Let me know what you think, thanks

Last edited by JoshVass; 11-25-2015 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 02:20 AM   #16
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I uploaded some pictures, please let me know what you think. I also followed your directions and took measurements, and the results were the same all around the vehicle. And I have no complaints of noise or unpleasant ride quality other than the crappy NYC streets lol. But in the pictures you can tell that there is a noticeable gap in the front as opposed to the rear. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #17
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

I definitely see the reverse rake you are talking about. When you measure from a fixed point to the fender, what is the gap front and rear? In order to remove the effects of differing tire pressures, measure from the wheel edge at the bottom (closest to the ground) to the fender. Also make sure you are on a flat surface. BTW, ot looks like you have after market wheels and tires. What are your tire specs?

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #18
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
I definitely see the reverse rake you are talking about. When you measure from a fixed point to the fender, what is the gap front and rear? In order to remove the effects of differing tire pressures, measure from the wheel edge at the bottom (closest to the ground) to the fender. Also make sure you are on a flat surface. BTW, ot looks like you have after market wheels and tires. What are your tire specs?
Going to re-measure again today following your directions. The tires that are currently on the car are my winter tires, but, even with the stock tires I still had the revers rake effect.

Current tire specs: Front- 225/40/19 Rear- 245/35/19
Current wheel specs: Front-19x8.5 5x120 72.6 ET35 MB
Rear- 19x9.5 ET 45 MB
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #19
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I uploaded some pictures, please let me know what you think. I also followed your directions and took measurements, and the results were the same all around the vehicle. And I have no complaints of noise or unpleasant ride quality other than the crappy NYC streets lol. But in the pictures you can tell that there is a noticeable gap in the front as opposed to the rear. Thanks in advance.
That looks about right to me as the car overall appears to have be about even. I was expecting some 3-4 inch gap in the front or something. =)

xDrive cars just tend to sit a bit higher in the front compared to their RWD counterparts in order to maintain that suspension travel. Although tbooe does bring up a good point in the tire pressure and wheel thing which may account for some of the discrepancy as well and account for a bit of an optical illusion.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #20
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That looks about right to me as the car overall appears to have be about even. I was expecting some 3-4 inch gap in the front or something. =)

xDrive cars just tend to sit a bit higher in the front compared to their RWD counterparts in order to maintain that suspension travel. Although tbooe does bring up a good point in the tire pressure and wheel thing which may account for some of the discrepancy as well and account for a bit of an optical illusion.
Yes, in the front I can fit 2 fingers between the tire and the wheel well, in the rear I can barely fit 1 finger. Might this do to the wider tires in the rear?

By looking at the pictures, do you think all is good?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #21
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, in the front I can fit 2 fingers between the tire and the wheel well, in the rear I can barely fit 1 finger. Might this do to the wider tires in the rear?

By looking at the pictures, do you think all is good?
By the pictures I would say its correct but it wouldn't hurt to do the measurements again to play it safe. The wider tires may also play a part in the optical aspect of it depending on how offset they are. If the backs are even with the outside of the wheel well and the front are tucked in the wheel well a bit it will lead to a bit of an exaggerated perceived gap visually to be seen as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #22
JoshVass
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
By the pictures I would say its correct but it wouldn't hurt to do the measurements again to play it safe. The wider tires may also play a part in the optical aspect of it depending on how offset they are. If the backs are even with the outside of the wheel well and the front are tucked in the wheel well a bit it will lead to a bit of an exaggerated perceived gap visually to be seen as well.
Does DINAN offer wheel spacers for 2015 335xi models?
Appreciate 0