Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

11-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
Bad Robot
No, dear, you wouldn't like driv.. LOOK! SQUIRREL!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Sakhir/Black Merino

Who Runs the Best AutoX and HPDE events in N.C.?

BMW CCA? SCCA Central Carolinas Region? Tarheel Sports Car Club?

Dropped in on the TSCC NC Autocross C-ship last weekend at ZMAX dragstrip parking lot in Concord, NC. Looked like it was very well run, good turnout, well laid out, good venue, competitors who actually spoke to each other, very positive experience.

If you were going to run autox and high performance driving experiences/driving schools through one of these organizations, which one would you choose, and why?
2015 M4, Sakhir/Black Merino, DCT, LEDs, 19-inch, Harmon-Kardon, Executive Package, Driver Assistance. Sit down. Buckle up. Mash that button yonder. Flick that lever to the right. Mash that other button on the steering wheel, twice. Now punch that pedallLLLAHHH!

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #2
JHY310
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335 / F80 M3 on order

I use to hang with the TSCC guys back in the day - good group of guys. For HPDE, I'd look into the local NASA events at VIR.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I haven't autocrossed, I can only comment on HPDE. I've heard Tar Heel is good and I think they do Carolina Motorsports Park. Tar Heel, Chin, and BMWCCA do VIR. it probably boils down to who you want to pay dues and build experience. one club may only sign off on group promotions with their own instructors.
      11-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
JHY310
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335 / F80 M3 on order

Let me know if you sign up for a track day - we should et some carolina individuals together at VIR. I haven't done an HPDE in 6 years... I wonder if they'll put me in novice again?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm definitely doing the BMWCCA's VIR event in March. I'm having fun doing $20 drag runs on the weekend but HPDE is going to have to be much less frequent. track insurance, tires, etc.

I'm guessing after six years they'll probably knock you down one group. maybe a novice day to see how you do.
      11-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Bad Robot
No, dear, you wouldn't like driv.. LOOK! SQUIRREL!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Sakhir/Black Merino

Thanks for the input. March at VIR would be my target, but I have a lot of biz travel locked in already next spring, so we'll see how it works out.

I'm a lot more familiar with Road Atlanta and Mid-Ohio, and haven't been to VIR. The videos make it look nice, tho.

Somebody else mentioned the track in Kershaw, S.C. But I heard that the sand around the track really does a number on your paint. I probably shouldn't say that without personal experience, but my car is a DD, so I'd like to take care of it.

Any thoughts about which of these clubs tends to have the friendliest people? I've done some of these things where everybody's cool, and others where nobody would talk to anybody else. Life's too short for that kind of crap.
2015 M4, Sakhir/Black Merino, DCT, LEDs, 19-inch, Harmon-Kardon, Executive Package, Driver Assistance. Sit down. Buckle up. Mash that button yonder. Flick that lever to the right. Mash that other button on the steering wheel, twice. Now punch that pedallLLLAHHH!

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 06:14 AM   #7
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have personal experience with chin. I was in the green group so my off sessions I either rode with my instructor or two friends who went with me. it was my first time driving and I was really slow. no one freaked, they still obeyed passing sections, and we adjusted to avoid a train. the people were cool and we all talked during lunch. I did see one guy in the blue group who was a little slow to let someone pass but it wasn't prevalent. chin seemed to try and foster a good culture. they also work road atlanta, mid-Ohio, and VIR.

a friend goes with tarheel and he likes them but I can't speak to specifics. I'm going to try BMWCCA because I already have a membership, the price is right, and they seem very social. I finally made it to a local dinner and it was a good time. I think you'd have a good time at one of those clubs.