E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Throttle Body issue. Need some advice.

11-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Throttle Body issue. Need some advice.

I tapped my intake manifold this afternoon and put on a larger barb and vacuum hose to my BOV. However, I think that I might have messed something up on the process. I have a Stett Charge Pipe and it has a silicone hose that slips over the throttle body. It is very difficult to get off so I used a butter knife to loosen the edges so I could push it off. I was able to get it off but I dropped the knife and I thought that it went on top of the underbody cover and I didn't think about it again.

I put everything back together and it started up fine. I drove it around the block and I got the engine light and the gas pedal basically would not work. It would only idle and the rpms would go from 1000 to 1500 over and over.

I looked to make sure that I had everything hooked up correctly and I did so I then pulled off the charge pipe and I found my knife. It was wedged in the throttle body holding it half way open. I removed it and put it back together. I started it up but I got the same surging idle as before. I reset the codes while it was running and the rpms returned to normal and I drove it home. I turned it off and back on again and I got the same results with the throttle opening and closing at idle.

I am getting a throttle code but also a bunch of other codes like traction control and other codes.

I tried to reset the adaptions and that did not work either.

I have unplugged the battery in hopes that will reset the car but who knows.

I did take the throttle body apart and none of the teeth are broke on the gears.

Any ideas how to fix this? You can't make this shit up

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
Stroker1
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335 cp dci, ***dp's, jb4

I had a similar situation. Bought my 07 e92 with 128 kmiles. Needed alot of mtc so b4 i put it on the road i did it all including intake walnut shell and tbody cleaning. After all was completed i reset all adaptations including throttle position and comparisons, started it and it ran fine. It warmed up to closed loop, i shut car down, restarted and got th same idle oscillations with no throttle response and .5 engine light etc. Lucky i had laptop with me watching parameters so went back into inpa and entered values for specific parameters. My inpa version allows specific variations for climate control, heavy electrical load etc. Once i did that its all good. I reset all other codes and has run with no issues since. If you dont have inpa.not sure how to accomplish this with other utilities. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Can't speak from experience, but I know there is a way to reset your throttle via the pedal when the ignition is on (engine off). Try looking for a "throttle adaptations reset", give that a shot.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon92 View Post
Can't speak from experience, but I know there is a way to reset your throttle via the pedal when the ignition is on (engine off). Try looking for a "throttle adaptations reset", give that a shot.
Your brilliant. I reset the throttle adaptation and it worked. She now runs perfectly.

Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Glad I could help, good to know it worked!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
jtswole
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Reset your ECU and then reflash the car. Probably need to do it with a BT cable.