F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > BMW Performance Driving School experiences?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
BXL4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Alpine White

BMW Performance Driving School experiences?

I'll have a chance to attend a one day school at Spartanburg this coming summer while in that area on vacation and was wondering if anyone else has done this and what they thought of it.

I've done the car control clinic at my local BMW Club and very much enjoyed it but that is the extent of my performance driving experience.

Which program would suit me best?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
cgarner40
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335xi

Ever drive with NASA? (National Auto Sport Association)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXL4 View Post
I'll have a chance to attend a one day school at Spartanburg this coming summer while in that area on vacation and was wondering if anyone else has done this and what they thought of it.

I've done the car control clinic at my local BMW Club and very much enjoyed it but that is the extent of my performance driving experience.

Which program would suit me best?
I know this isn't what you asked, but have you ever looked into https://www.nasaproracing.com/
I know a one day event with BMW is around $775. I do 2 day events with NASA for under $400 and I think they are fantastic. They have regions across the country that do a lot of events. Just something you might take a look at near you and anywhere you travel.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
ICTZHP
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G06 X6

I am a huge fan of the Performance Center and the product that they offer. Is it inexpensive? No, it is by no means inexpensive. That being said, you do get to drive somebody else's brand new BMW's, burn up their tires, brakes, and gas all the while getting top notch professional instruction. The more money you spend with them, the faster you get to go. I have been to their one and two day car control schools, a two day M School, and to their Advanced M School at VIR. All were great fun and I walked away at the end of the day a better driver without any wear and tear on my own car.

As noted, there are alternatives. I have done a number of BMWCCA HPDE's and they are great as well. They are far less expensive and offer a different perspective than you will get at the Performance Center. At the Performance Center, 99% of the instruction is done over a walkie-talkie from instructors stationed around the track or in a lead car. The BMWCCA events have an instructor in the car with you. This allows for more immediate feedback and the instructor has a front row seat to watch what you are doing behind the wheel and point out things the car is doing that you may or may not have been aware of. Keep in mind, the instructors at the BMWCCA events are not paid professionals, but rather, very skilled drivers who are donating their time. I have had great luck getting paired with instructors that I have liked and got along well with, but I know others who have not been so lucky.

To me, the biggest difference is that you have to use your own car for the BMWCCA events. This offsets a portion of the cost saving that you saw when you registered for the event. You must have your car tech inspected and depending on your level of experience, you will want to upgrade components of your car for track duty. If this is your first event, making sure you have adequate brake pad thickness, fresh brake fluid, and sufficient tire tread should get it done (all of these are on the tech inspection sheet). So, if any of these items don't pass the inspection, costs start to build. If you have more experience, then you will likely want track pads, high temp brake fluid, and a set of dedicated wheels and tires. And this is just to start.... Oh, if something goes wrong (ie, you bend metal), it is your car.

There is no definitive answer for one route being better than the other, everyone has their own priorities. Personally, I like a combination of two routes. If you have an opportunity to go to the Performance Center and participate in their classes, I say do it. The facility and cars are top notch and I cannot say enough good things about the instructors. They are outstanding drivers (all have raced at some level and some still so), are great teachers, are car enthusiasts, and are a lot of fun to be around.

One last note, if you are a BMWCCA member, you get a 15% discount on the classes at the Performance Center. I believe that a one year membership is $45, so you make that up and more if you just do a one day car control and you really make out with their 2 day classes and M Schools. Another discount available is through BMW Financial Services. If you have one of their credit cards and charge the school on it, you get a 20% discount. And no, you cannot stack the discount, I tried. DOH!

Hopefully some of my rambling makes sense and helps you out. Happy driving!
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTZHP View Post
I am a huge fan of the Performance Center and the product that they offer. Is it inexpensive? No, it is by no means inexpensive. That being said, you do get to drive somebody else's brand new BMW's, burn up their tires, brakes, and gas all the while getting top notch professional instruction. The more money you spend with them, the faster you get to go. I have been to their one and two day car control schools, a two day M School, and to their Advanced M School at VIR. All were great fun and I walked away at the end of the day a better driver without any wear and tear on my own car.

As noted, there are alternatives. I have done a number of BMWCCA HPDE's and they are great as well. They are far less expensive and offer a different perspective than you will get at the Performance Center. At the Performance Center, 99% of the instruction is done over a walkie-talkie from instructors stationed around the track or in a lead car. The BMWCCA events have an instructor in the car with you. This allows for more immediate feedback and the instructor has a front row seat to watch what you are doing behind the wheel and point out things the car is doing that you may or may not have been aware of. Keep in mind, the instructors at the BMWCCA events are not paid professionals, but rather, very skilled drivers who are donating their time. I have had great luck getting paired with instructors that I have liked and got along well with, but I know others who have not been so lucky.

To me, the biggest difference is that you have to use your own car for the BMWCCA events. This offsets a portion of the cost saving that you saw when you registered for the event. You must have your car tech inspected and depending on your level of experience, you will want to upgrade components of your car for track duty. If this is your first event, making sure you have adequate brake pad thickness, fresh brake fluid, and sufficient tire tread should get it done (all of these are on the tech inspection sheet). So, if any of these items don't pass the inspection, costs start to build. If you have more experience, then you will likely want track pads, high temp brake fluid, and a set of dedicated wheels and tires. And this is just to start.... Oh, if something goes wrong (ie, you bend metal), it is your car.

There is no definitive answer for one route being better than the other, everyone has their own priorities. Personally, I like a combination of two routes. If you have an opportunity to go to the Performance Center and participate in their classes, I say do it. The facility and cars are top notch and I cannot say enough good things about the instructors. They are outstanding drivers (all have raced at some level and some still so), are great teachers, are car enthusiasts, and are a lot of fun to be around.

One last note, if you are a BMWCCA member, you get a 15% discount on the classes at the Performance Center. I believe that a one year membership is $45, so you make that up and more if you just do a one day car control and you really make out with their 2 day classes and M Schools. Another discount available is through BMW Financial Services. If you have one of their credit cards and charge the school on it, you get a 20% discount. And no, you cannot stack the discount, I tried. DOH!

Hopefully some of my rambling makes sense and helps you out. Happy driving!

I will second this post, it's exactly what I would have said, shy of being at VIR since I have yet to enjoy that advanced M school yet.

Also appreciate that 2 day M school includes a $700 helmet, 2 nights in a very nice marriott ($300 value), meals, and a multitude of other goodies. It is an epic value.

Other racing schools are just as expensive, or even more. Skip Barber is about the same, if not slightly more, but have a multitude of different levels. You are also not driving 500hp cars with them though, generally Mazdas which are pretty appropriate track-capable cars.

I would avoid the "special" BMW sponsored 1 day car control M schools that travel around the country to different stadiums/parking lots. They are expensive, and not as helpful as a true M school in CA or SC, so save your $750 on those.

You will come out of any school a better driver. My only concerns with them are just that the classroom information tends to be overly redundant, and suited for first-time visitors. I would love for them to have more advanced classroom material, or even online course.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

+1 here too. If you have never driven on a closed track, try a one or two day BMW school. If you catch the virus, and you will, start participating to HPDEs (BMW CCA or any other club). Like ICTZHP said, all it takes is better brake pads and high temperature brake fluid. Your F30 will do just fine without any other modification for occasional trackdays.
Acquiring reflexes and muscle memory will take more seat time than the BMW school, but you will be surprised how much of a better driver you will become.

Go for it!