F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Springs m sport non dhp rwd question
Extreme Powerhouse

12-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
Zakattack20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 ZCP

Dinan Springs m sport non dhp rwd question

Hello,

Does anybody have this setup on stock m sport shocks? Just curious if anybody matched these with bilstein b8s or what the general feedback is? My ride is okay, a little soft, only had dinans on for about 6k miles.

F32 435 m sport
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, 328xi AT and 328i 6MT

Not sure if you saw my other thread or this article: http://www.rightfootdown.com/reviews...ed-on-bmw-f30/

Anyway, I ran Dinan springs on factory M-Sport dampers (struts and shocks) for 7k miles or so including two track days (NJMP and Monticello). The Bilstein B8 shocks in the rear have reduced body roll but the most noticeable change has been to absorbing bumps. As I'm sure you've experienced, hitting a bump or taking a dip in the road results in the rear of the car sinking as if jumping on to a worn couch. There's just no rebound and you can see why in the video in the link above.

So far I'm happy with the Bilstein B8's in just the rear. You'll notice the difference immediately. The rear end feels lighter and the steering more responsive and in sync with your inputs. But there is a trade-off. The ride quality hasn't transitioned to harsh or bouncy but it is very firm. My wife hasn't complained - so there's that.
      12-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
Zakattack20
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilation
Not sure if you saw my other thread or this article: http://www.rightfootdown.com/reviews...ed-on-bmw-f30/

Anyway, I ran Dinan springs on factory M-Sport dampers (struts and shocks) for 7k miles or so including two track days (NJMP and Monticello). The Bilstein B8 shocks in the rear have reduced body roll but the most noticeable change has been to absorbing bumps. As I'm sure you've experienced, hitting a bump or taking a dip in the road results in the rear of the car sinking as if jumping on to a worn couch. There's just no rebound and you can see why in the video in the link above.

So far I'm happy with the Bilstein B8's in just the rear. You'll notice the difference immediately. The rear end feels lighter and the steering more responsive and in sync with your inputs. But there is a trade-off. The ride quality hasn't transitioned to harsh or bouncy but it is very firm. My wife hasn't complained - so there's that.
Thanks for reply and review.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:47 PM   #4
Zakattack20
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilation

What's your thoughts on installing the bilsteins for the front? You felt the issue was more in the rear? I want to reduce the float and "crash" on bumps but not to be too harsh. I know bilstein makes them good...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, 328xi AT and 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakattack20 View Post
What's your thoughts on installing the bilsteins for the front? You felt the issue was more in the rear? I want to reduce the float and "crash" on bumps but not to be too harsh. I know bilstein makes them good...
Been pondering that question, myself. I'm not sure if replacing the fronts will make that big of a difference. If anything, I'd imagine the ride would be even firmer and that isn't what's needed.

The direction I'm headed with this car is dual duty, road and track. Even though time spent on track is like 2% of the time, I never want to get out there and be disappointed. My next suspension related mods are likely going to be the M3 lower thrust arms for additional camber and rear arms with solid bushings.