F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > F80 no rear cup holders
Studio RSR

12-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Angry F80 no rear cup holders

This is a proper first world problem, but what possessed BMW to make the F80 without the option of rear cup holders?

The F82 and F83 seem to get them (standard or option) as they lose the centre rear seat and get storage cubby holes instead, but the supposedly more practical F80 doesn't.

BMW's suggestion to this problem is this pile of cr*p which costs the best part of £170 and attaches via the seatbelt and pretty much blocks all air flow from the rear vents:

Yeah, that looks really good on a £60k+ car!

As an aside, they have managed to fix the truly horrendous F30 "disappearing seat belt buckle" problem with the F80 but it still isn't enough to redeem itself over the lack of rear cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Cos. Racecar.

Lightweight rear seats.

Edit PS F83/82 don't have rear cup holders.
      12-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #3
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Rant alert !!!

You buy an M3 because you want a supremely fast car that can transport you and three of your nearest and dearest in an obscenely quick fashion to that end you get a stonking erection inducing engine up front and a beautifully honed suspension system all wrapped up,in a body as sexy As Rachel Riley's

And you complain

About the lack of cup holders !!!!!!!!!!!

12-12-2015, 02:29 AM   #4
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

Just because I want a fast car doesn't mean I don't want practicality too.

Rear cup holders mean said child doesn't have to hold their bottle of water, then forget about it, drop it and get the water everywhere or worse still just put it down on the seat to roll about and leak everywhere.

Here is the post I found yesterday and it's appears it's just the F83 that gets them as that has standard F32 rear seats and not M rear seats:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=14

To counter the lightweight argument, why are there options like split folding rear seats, television, self parking, heated steering wheel etc.? I can't remember I was driving on a track and thought I must watch a bit of TV

Also, if Rachel Riley was in my house, I'd still expect her to be able to make a cuppa for me
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2015, 02:29 AM   #5
roshambo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Sport

Wouldn't want any one in the backseat drinking whilst i fly around corners to be honest....
      12-12-2015, 02:49 AM   #6
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

I'm not thinking of the flying around corners part, more the boring motorway journeys.

If you can have a bottle of water in the car, unless you need a pee there is no need to stop at motorway services which can only be classed as being a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 04:20 AM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Ah ok always thought that was just storage in the vert. Just have to get the kids some non drip camelbak cycling bottles. Never leaks.
      12-12-2015, 04:20 AM   #8
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_335i View Post
I'm not thinking of the flying around corners part, more the boring motorway journeys.

If you can have a bottle of water in the car, unless you need a pee there is no need to stop at motorway services which can only be classed as being a good thing.
I thought you had ordered an M5 Paul. Presume you cancelled it?

That has cup holders!

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #9
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

I've had 2 brand new M5 orders screwed up so far by different dealers so started looking at AUC's, but ones with my "must have" options are few and far between and that's without looking at my "nice to have" options.

However, I recently found my ideal car a few weeks ago and did all dealings and negotiations via e-mail and phone. On collection day. the car wasn't as the dealer described it, many things didn't add up and they tried to fleece me for full new car first registration tax of £870 and not just the £490 I should have been asked to pay. Therefore, I walked under the Consumer Contracts legislation distance selling section for a full refund of my deposit.

So now I'm looking around at other options. I did a back-to-back test of the M3 M-DCT and F10 M5 yesterday. I'm still leaning towards the M5, but am now waiting to see what the dealer can do for me on both before making my decision as they come out close.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Had a chat with the boys earlier and they said they're not bothered. Happy to go Weeeeeeeeeee in Daddy's car and leave their bottles in Mummy's Disco. Problem sorted
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2015, 02:01 AM   #11
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal001
Rant alert !!!

You buy an M3 because you want a supremely fast car that can transport you and three of your nearest and dearest in an obscenely quick fashion to that end you get a stonking erection inducing engine up front and a beautifully honed suspension system all wrapped up,in a body as sexy As Rachel Riley's

And you complain

About the lack of cup holders !!!!!!!!!!!

Using that logic, everyone would have an Ariel Atom or a VW up, and nothing in between
      12-13-2015, 05:15 AM   #12
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apl000? View Post
Using that logic, everyone would have an Ariel Atom or a VW up, and nothing in between
That's damn fine man logic sir

We salute you .....

Atom for me just in case you wondering
      12-16-2015, 05:50 AM   #13
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
This is a proper first world problem, but what possessed BMW to make the F80 without the option of rear cup holders?

The F82 and F83 seem to get them (standard or option) as they lose the centre rear seat and get storage cubby holes instead, but the supposedly more practical F80 doesn't.

BMW's suggestion to this problem is this pile of cr*p which costs the best part of £170 and attaches via the seatbelt and pretty much blocks all air flow from the rear vents:

As an aside, they have managed to fix the truly horrendous F30 "disappearing seat belt buckle" problem with the F80 but it still isn't enough to redeem itself over the lack of rear cup holders.
Part of extended storage pack I think....

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #14
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Interesting, I'll check that out - the manual M3 I had a test drive in had the extended storage pack, but I didn't check out the back seats as the car just didn't work for me in a manual.

I'll find out and post the response back.

FWIW, the configurator states:
The Extended Storage package includes a compartment with lid on the driver's side, bags on the backs of the front seats, 12-V sockets in the rear of the centre console and in the luggage compartment, a storage net on the luggage compartment floor, two bag holders in the luggage compartment, a strap for partitioning the luggage compartment and a segmented storage tray under the luggage compartment floor (M4 models only).

Last edited by PaulT_M5; 12-16-2015 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Quote for M3 car configurator...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #15
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy
Quote:

Nope had that on the m4 just the boot bit I think, defo not cup holders, unless changed in LCI for the M3
      12-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #16
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

There were no cup holders on my demo car. As said, not bothered. Kids have them in M235i and Disco which they spend 95% time so couldn't care. M3 is my car not theirs.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0