THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Installed the UUC Evo3 SSK

12-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, 328xi AT and 328i 6MT

Installed the UUC Evo3 SSK

Yesterday we installed a UUC Evo3 SSK on the RightFootDown.com 328i. In completely transforms the feel. If you like the buttery smooth feeling when you row gears that the factory shifter provides then you do not want the UUC Evo3.

All shifter slop has been eliminated but that also means you no longer row gears in a single pull or row. It's now a two step process. No longer is 2nd to 3rd a straight line. Now you push forward *click* and up again *click* in a very mechanical, very positive feeling. It's total transformation. If you like the feel of the Subaru STI or Mustang 5.0 shifter then you'll like this.

BUT...there are several things I may mention that you may not enjoy. Shifting in to second gear always makes gear whine noise if you pull back. And if you pull back too much it's really audible. Also, because of this new 2-step shifting process I've found that I'm now slower shifting gears. I don't see how anyone can shift as quick as the factory shifter because the route from 2-3 and 4-5 is much more gated if that makes sense. Obviously this applies to downshifts as well.

Also, installation instructions from UUC are the worst. They're not even for this chassis. RFD is currently working on an installation video as well as a how-to article and review. Reading the supplied directions you'd think it's an hour driveway job. Definitely not. For example there is a part in the instructions that says to unbolt. Nope, it's welded on in these cars. Installation was fun to say the least.

Installation thread with How-To video included here: http://www.rightfootdown.com/reviews...o3-ssk-review/

Last edited by Nihilation; 01-05-2016 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Waiting for the updated info on this. My last car was a 5.0 with the Barton shifter and a Flossy knob that I loved. NVH has never been an issue for me so the more mechanical the better. I wish that TWM would make a shifter for us. I haven't checked in a while but I think they made one for the F30.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

I've had the SSK for about 2 months sitting in my garage. I keep looking at the directions and it just seems like a nightmare for a DIY. Hopefully with new directions it'll be easier to tackle.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOLO89 View Post
I've had the SSK for about 2 months sitting in my garage. I keep looking at the directions and it just seems like a nightmare for a DIY. Hopefully with new directions it'll be easier to tackle.
Don't count on it. It's more difficult and likely why UUC didn't even bother providing accurate instructions for the F30 install.
      12-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilation
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOLO89 View Post
Don't count on it. It's more difficult and likely why UUC didn't even bother providing accurate instructions for the F30 install.
Maybe I should let it be someone else's headache then for the install.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

its a bit of a pain, stock instructions do not work. Not that bad except for the set screws. I had to make a little custom Allen key to install. Prob a 3 hour job. 1 hour is spent waiting for your patience to come back in between set screws.

Mine is not notchy, very good, but not much difference from stock. I imagine the uuc one will last much longer than oem, with the brass bushings. If yours is notchy I would suggest spraying some lube on the assembly to help rinse off any machining residue or wear. Thats what I did after a few hundred miles.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The How-To article and video are now available at http://www.rightfootdown.com/reviews...o3-ssk-review/