E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Need n55 advice- sold 335, now onto an X5

12-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
Mrida335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Need n55 advice- sold 335, now onto an X5

Hi guys,

I recently sold my FBO n54 335 (sad face) and picked up a gorgeous fully loaded X5 35i. Sad for my mistress to go but practicality calls and I still have a R9t for fun.

- Before I get flamed, please don't tell me to go to the x5 Forum, its a lonely desolate place filled with x5M owners and a lot of crap posts that have no where near the technical acumen or information I crave. I come here because I know this community and how knowledgeable it is.

So this is my first experience with the N55. Now obviously the vehicle not being a 3 or 4 series leaves some holes in what I will be able to purchase for mods.... not a lot out there FYI

So some basic questions since I know my build will be mild anyways.

First: about how much power are you seeing with typical bolt on mods plus tune that n55 can handle? The n54 was stout as hell and I didnt have to worry much throwing a good tune, bolt-ons, meth etc into it. Not sure if the n55 can handle that level of modification.

Second: where are motor/tranny limitations being found? turbo charger? pistons, rods? Cooling? 8speed ZF to much torqe problems?

My vision is to pickup a catless DP, and a meth kit. leave all else in place. But since this is an 8 speed auto wanted to know if people are having problems with their trannys
2002 745i - Kalahari Beige
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrida335 View Post
Hi guys,

I recently sold my FBO n54 335 (sad face) and picked up a gorgeous fully loaded X5 35i. Sad for my mistress to go but practicality calls and I still have a R9t for fun.

- Before I get flamed, please don't tell me to go to the x5 Forum, its a lonely desolate place filled with x5M owners and a lot of crap posts that have no where near the technical acumen or information I crave. I come here because I know this community and how knowledgeable it is.

So this is my first experience with the N55. Now obviously the vehicle not being a 3 or 4 series leaves some holes in what I will be able to purchase for mods.... not a lot out there FYI

So some basic questions since I know my build will be mild anyways.

First: about how much power are you seeing with typical bolt on mods plus tune that n55 can handle? The n54 was stout as hell and I didnt have to worry much throwing a good tune, bolt-ons, meth etc into it. Not sure if the n55 can handle that level of modification.

Second: where are motor/tranny limitations being found? turbo charger? pistons, rods? Cooling? 8speed ZF to much torqe problems?

My vision is to pickup a catless DP, and a meth kit. leave all else in place. But since this is an 8 speed auto wanted to know if people are having problems with their trannys
Just like the N54's, the N55's are pretty solid motors. They can handle what you throw at them. You won't get as much power out of it on the stock turbo but fbo with either meth or e85, 380ish whp is usually where they're at.

Tranny's are fairly bullet proof in those as well. There are a lot of people running stage 2 turbo's and it doesn't seem like anyone is having issues with the automatic.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
N55 has been around for a while so LOTS of options. Get a JB4 and meth kit and call it a day.