BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Just Added a F48 X1 to the Family!

12-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Just Added a F48 X1 to the Family!

Just added a F48 X1 to the family for my mother's daily commuter, it's our 8th BMW. Mineral White on Mocha with every option except M-Sport. Here are some early impressions.

Really loving this thing! Beats the shit out of the GLK350 we had since new as well. More room than the supposedly bigger class Benz, much sportier driving character. If I had to nitpick after 600miles on this thing, it would be: 1) the seating position and steering wheel are always such that the bottom lines of the cluster are hidden from view (trip odometer), no matter how I've adjusted it. If I lower the steering wheel so I can see the lower parts, then it hits my legs on ingress/egress, so I always have to set it such that the bottom of the cluster is obscured... Anyone have the same issue? 2) The turbo 4 sounds like a diesel at low RPM, but it has great low-end torque for getting going off-the line. Neither are a big deal in my opinion, just mere observations.

BMW nailed the F48 out of the ball park with this one! It totally trumps the outgoing X1 in every single aspect I can think of.

Ride quality is definitely on the firm side, which was a surprise for an entry level SAV. The suspension travel is very similar to that of a sport package equipped E90 3 series.

The tech and features are truly amazing. I'm surprised BMW allows these cars to be equipped with virtually everything that was exclusive to the 5/7 models earlier. HUD is a great little toy - I never have to take my eyes off the road.

Question: does anyone know what type of steering system is on the F48? Is it hydraulic or electric? The fact I have to ask should tell you how good a system it is if indeed it is electric!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
M-Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Its Electronic Power Steering on the F48
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Nick View Post
Its Electronic Power Steering on the F48
Yes, I suspect it's BMW's relatively new single-pinion electric steering system, based on the fairly positive reviews X1 steering has received. Single pinion systems are supposed to provide better feedback.

If that is indeed the case, that'd be the same system currently used in the i3 and Mini Cooper, I believe.

BTW, congrats on the new X1!
      12-29-2015, 03:19 AM   #4
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Congrats on the new arrival
Thanks for your first impressions and appraisal, it is appreciated by us all
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
LSU Tiger Wes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i (F48)

Look forward to seeing pics!
Past: 1999 328i Sedan
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F48 Alpinweiss

Welkome and enjoy your brand new ride.

I have the same problem with the steering wheel. I thought it was because I have a M sport wheel and I think it is a little bit smaller then a normal one? Can u tell me if u have a M sport steer or a normal one?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
BMW newbie 2016
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Just added a F48 X1 to the family for my mother's daily commuter, it's our 8th BMW. Mineral White on Mocha with every option except M-Sport. Here are some early impressions.

Really loving this thing! Beats the shit out of the GLK350 we had since new as well. More room than the supposedly bigger class Benz, much sportier driving character. If I had to nitpick after 600miles on this thing, it would be: 1) the seating position and steering wheel are always such that the bottom lines of the cluster are hidden from view (trip odometer), no matter how I've adjusted it. If I lower the steering wheel so I can see the lower parts, then it hits my legs on ingress/egress, so I always have to set it such that the bottom of the cluster is obscured... Anyone have the same issue? 2) The turbo 4 sounds like a diesel at low RPM, but it has great low-end torque for getting going off-the line. Neither are a big deal in my opinion, just mere observations.

BMW nailed the F48 out of the ball park with this one! It totally trumps the outgoing X1 in every single aspect I can think of.

Ride quality is definitely on the firm side, which was a surprise for an entry level SAV. The suspension travel is very similar to that of a sport package equipped E90 3 series.

The tech and features are truly amazing. I'm surprised BMW allows these cars to be equipped with virtually everything that was exclusive to the 5/7 models earlier. HUD is a great little toy - I never have to take my eyes off the road.

Question: does anyone know what type of steering system is on the F48? Is it hydraulic or electric? The fact I have to ask should tell you how good a system it is if indeed it is electric!
Hey there. I have the same problem with my view of the odometer. I don't really care but it is something that BMW should look into.
I just love mine too and have just past my 2000km break in period so I'm anxious to play a little more with the tiptronic and kick down.
Another "quirk" I have discovered is the kick control to open or close the hatch is pretty easy to set off to close when working in the trunk. It's now happened to me twice and I luckily haven't been hurt as I am quick to notice the being and remove myself before the hatch hits my head. I must have been reaching deep into the trunk and lifted one leg to get in farther and when I placed my foot back on the ground the system must ahem mistaken that for a kick. Just be carful when you're back there.
Enjoy the new car!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 01:09 AM   #8
TSiSPY007
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 335i xDrive;16 X1;96 4G63T

Thanks for the 1st impressions, dbworld4k!

I have the same issue with the gauge cluster on our F30, but kept trying different positions and now I can see it no problem... I had no issues with the F48 when we test drove it twice... hope you find a good position.
Appreciate 0