E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bulb or Ballast failing?

12-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
ny330xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Question Bulb or Ballast failing?

I noticed last week that my passenger headlight was beginning to turn purple. I assumed the bulb was on its way out. This week, the bulb the bulb ignited and then flickered out. It will come back on momentarily if I flip the lights off and back on, then flicker out again.

So, does this sound like a bulb or ballast? or maybe both?

I know I can swap ballasts/bulbs to isolate, but I'm hoping someone can advise definitely so I don't have to spend the time to do that.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny330xi View Post
I noticed last week that my passenger headlight was beginning to turn purple. I assumed the bulb was on its way out. This week, the bulb the bulb ignited and then flickered out. It will come back on momentarily if I flip the lights off and back on, then flicker out again.

So, does this sound like a bulb or ballast? or maybe both?

I know I can swap ballasts/bulbs to isolate, but I'm hoping someone can advise definitely so I don't have to spend the time to do that.

Thanks!
When the bulb changed color, that was your clue for the bulb failing. Ballast should be fine still... but make sure you try to buy an oem Phillips bulb instead of a cheap-o discount bulb or funky 6k or 8k color bulb... the problem comes about 6 months or so down the road when the cheap-o bulb fries the ballast and that is a PITA to replace.

Also make sure to take care when removing the plastic cover to get to the bulb... it has like 4 or 5 connection points that need to be released. these get weak over time and break easily. you can buy replacement covers for about $15. please make sure that it closes up well because moisture can cause ALL kinds of problems in an unsealed headlight housing

since you are going to need to take off all of the wheel well covers, now would be a good time to consider if you want to get LED AE's? or change out your fog lights to HID's or LEDs?

Last edited by fazman; 12-28-2015 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
ny330xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the insight. That was my thought too on the color change. It was the flickering that threw me and made me think ballast.

And I'm already LED angel eyes. Did them last year...carbon fiber overlays from LUX, coded out the sidemarkers and addded nokya yellow fogs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny330xi View Post
Thanks for the insight. That was my thought too on the color change. It was the flickering that threw me and made me think ballast.

And I'm already LED angel eyes. Did them last year...carbon fiber overlays from LUX, coded out the sidemarkers and addded nokya yellow fogs.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
ny330xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Closing the loop...

It was definitely the bulb. Now replaced. The flickering was not related to the ballast, apparently.

I can report that opening the headlight access panel from above or through the wheel lining access panel are nearly impossible. I chose to drop the bumper and pull the headlight out. Bought two, should have done them both, but I didn't have the time to pull the other headlight. There's really no significant different in the output color; I'll get to it eventually.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny330xi
Closing the loop...

It was definitely the bulb. Now replaced. The flickering was not related to the ballast, apparently.

I can report that opening the headlight access panel from above or through the wheel lining access panel are nearly impossible. I chose to drop the bumper and pull the headlight out. Bought two, should have done them both, but I didn't have the time to pull the other headlight. There's really no significant different in the output color; I'll get to it eventually.
Just did the same thing to my car on Saturday. Exact same scenario, bulb started turning purple, lasted two more days before it went. Replaced both with OE Philips bulbs. Actually have a couple OSRAM Nightbreaker Unlimited in order, but have not arrived yet, so grabbed a couple OE bulbs from smashed headlights from our body shop to use temporarily.

Found the easiest way to do them was pull out the front portion of the inner fender liners. LOTS of room to work in the headlights going in that way. Most of the same screws are removed to remove the front bumper. Was going to remove bumper and lights, but then noticed I could get to everything once the liner was removed.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Just did the same thing to my car on Saturday. Exact same scenario, bulb started turning purple, lasted two more days before it went. Replaced both with OE Philips bulbs. Actually have a couple OSRAM Nightbreaker Unlimited in order, but have not arrived yet, so grabbed a couple OE bulbs from smashed headlights from our body shop to use temporarily.

Found the easiest way to do them was pull out the front portion of the inner fender liners. LOTS of room to work in the headlights going in that way. Most of the same screws are removed to remove the front bumper. Was going to remove bumper and lights, but then noticed I could get to everything once the liner was removed.
That's the same way I did mine, as well as the LED AE's and the HID Fogs.

I have a hard time removing the bumper cover to remove the headlight... because when I try to remove the headlight housing I can't get the headlight washer off + it tends to leak washer fluid everywhere.
Appreciate 0