BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) My new X1- A few thoughts

12-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

My new X1- A few thoughts

Greetings all. Long time lurker here. Just took delivery of my 16 Alpine White X1. This makes for our 10th BMW which includes a previous body X1 M sport. I had my previous X1 for a little over a year. It was probably one of the most disappointing cars I have had. Great fun to drive hard but miserable in almost every other measure. I traded it for a 14 328i which I really liked but needed something with AWD for our cabin in the mountains. Really thrilled with this car and think this is probably a one of BMW's successful designs. Below is my build info, a few likes and dislikes and a pic at our cabin. Look forward to conversing with everyone.

My build:
Alpine white
Mocha interior
Premium Package
Luxury Package
Cold Weather package
Technology package
Park assistance package
Park Assist ii
ACC w/stop and go

Interior and Exterior Design (incredibly handsome and ergonomic)
Ambient lighting (inspired by the x5)
Quieter engine at idle (my 328i was pretty noisy at idle)
Solid feel and very quiet at highway speeds (one of the most quiet I have driven)
Heads-up display (bigger than other vehicles)

Not so great:
Shallow seats
Not the best engine sound
Attached Images

Last edited by bmtespar; 01-01-2016 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Greetings all. Long time lurker here. Just took delivery of my 16 Alpine White X1. This makes for our 10th BMW which includes a previous body X1 M sport. I had my previous X1 for a little over a year. It was probably one of the most disappointing cars I have had. Great fun to drive hard but miserable in almost every other measure. I traded it for a 14 328i which I really liked but needed something with AWD for our cabin in the mountains. Really thrilled with this car and think this is probably a one of BMW's successful designs. Below is my build info, a few likes and dislikes and a pic at our cabin. Look forward to conversing with everyone.

My build:
Alpine white
Mocha interior
Premium Package
Luxury Package
Cold Weather package
Park assistance package
Park Assist ii
ACC w/stop and go

Interior and Exterior Design (incredibly handsome and ergonomic)
Ambient lighting (inspired by the x5)
Quieter engine at idle (my 328i was pretty noisy at idle)
Solid feel and very quiet at highway speeds (one of the most quiet I have driven)
Heads-up display (bigger than other vehicles)

Not so great:
Shallow seats
Not the best engine sound
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Haven't had the opportunity to sit in the new model but many new owners including yourself have commented on the bucket seats, curious are they simply too small?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

They are shallow and narrow. They remind me of seats out of my Mini but I know they aren't the same. I am sure the seat extensions on the sport seats would help for the length but I understand even those are a bit narrow. I had sport seats in my Mini and they always pinched me on the sides after awhile. The seats are also pretty firm which is common for BMW cars. I seem to remember the seats in my 3 series being very firm at first but got softer as they broke in. They were noticeably larger and softer than the seats in the new X1. I think they will get softer and I'll get used to the smaller seats but it just immediately jumped out at me. I'm not saying they are unbearable by any means.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 01:05 AM   #4
TSiSPY007
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 335i xDrive;16 X1;96 4G63T

Congrats, bmtespar! Would love to see some pics of the Mocha interior.

The seats in the F48 are definitely more snug-fitting than in an F30. We have an F30 MSport and the seats are actually a bit wide for us. I'm slim build/ skinny, 5'8", 140lbs. The seats in the F48's that we tested definitely "hold" me better, so if you're slim, you'll love the seats...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Quote:
They are shallow and narrow. They remind me of seats out of my Mini but I know they aren't the same. I am sure the seat extensions on the sport seats would help for the length but I understand even those are a bit narrow. I had sport seats in my Mini and they always pinched me on the sides after awhile. The seats are also pretty firm which is common for BMW cars. I seem to remember the seats in my 3 series being very firm at first but got softer as they broke in. They were noticeably larger and softer than the seats in the new X1. I think they will get softer and I'll get used to the smaller seats but it just immediately jumped out at me. I'm not saying they are unbearable by any means.
bmtespar

Thanks for objective reply.

Happy New Year!

Cheers! Vector Pilot
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiSPY007 View Post
Congrats, bmtespar! Would love to see some pics of the Mocha interior.

The seats in the F48 are definitely more snug-fitting than in an F30. We have an F30 MSport and the seats are actually a bit wide for us. I'm slim build/ skinny, 5'8", 140lbs. The seats in the F48's that we tested definitely "hold" me better, so if you're slim, you'll love the seats...
You calling me fat? 😉 I tried to upload a pic from my phone but the resolution was too high. I need to figure another way to do it. Happy New Year!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #7
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Congrats
Its nice to see the different choice in the interior
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Myself and two friends took a road trip through the mountains to do some hiking. I am happy to say that after spending about 4.5 hours in the car that my back doesn't hate the seats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 05:17 AM   #9
LSU Tiger Wes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i (F48)

Quote:
Myself and two friends took a road trip through the mountains to do some hiking. I am happy to say that after spending about 4.5 hours in the car that my back doesn't hate the seats.
Alpine white looks great! Glad I pocketing the money for mineral white or some other metallic paint for cold weather package.
Past: 1999 328i Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:31 AM   #10
Thieutje
24FITcoach
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 M550xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Wes View Post
Alpine white looks great! Glad I pocketing the money for mineral white or some other metallic paint for cold weather package.
Alpine white is a great colour but personally i prefer the metallic stylish glare the mineral white has, even more noticable in sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #11
ikitasa
Registered
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thieutje View Post
Alpine white is a great colour but personally i prefer the metallic stylish glare the mineral white has, even more noticable in sunlight.
Having seen both next to each other I would have to say I definitely personally prefer the Alpine White. The colour just seems to 'pop' more if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #12
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I've always noticed that metallic whites become somewhat ugly at night. They look great during the day but at night, under the wrong parking lot lighting, they can almost look yellowish in color. Whereas the clear coat flat white remains white at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 07:18 AM   #13
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

I looked at both colors and have seen both colors on other BMW's. I wanted to get a color that would mask the most amount of dust and mud. I am very anal about keeping my cars clean and having a place in the mountains makes that very difficult. I am not a huge fan of white but I think BMW has one of the best white colors in the industry. Besides, I think I would lose my card after having that many BMW's and none of them being white.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 12:46 AM   #14
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

What does the USA's "luxury package" bring to the vehicle? BMW's website says it brings "Chrome design elements to bumper, kidney grill, air intake, surround Windows and exhaust tips"

I'm confused. I thought that stuff came standard.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #15
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
What does the USA's "luxury package" bring to the vehicle? BMW's website says it brings "Chrome design elements to bumper, kidney grill, air intake, surround Windows and exhaust tips"

I'm confused. I thought that stuff came standard.
The exterior chrome design elements are standard in the US (part of X-Line). Luxury package is for the interior and includes leather seats and choices of trim options.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #16
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Eh, I still don't understand. All those interior leather seats and dash trim options can be obtained without the Luxury package. The Luxury package is an extra $100 than the leather seats and I don't know what that extra $100 brings. It's just weird.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #17
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Eh, I still don't understand. All those interior leather seats and dash trim options can be obtained without the Luxury package. The Luxury package is an extra $100 than the leather seats and I don't know what that extra $100 brings. It's just weird.
haha! It's true that you can select Leather Seat option without upgrading the trim for $1450. That is if you are ok with the standard "Black High-gloss Trim with Pearl Chrome Accent." You can also just upgrade the trim without getting leather seats for $350.

However, if you decide to select both leather seats and upgraded trim, then Luxury Package would save you $250. Furthermore, Luxury Package offers "Fine-wood Oak Grain Trim with Pearl Chrome Accent" that is not a stand-alone option.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #18
Verker
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: MB C-Class 220 T-Model

Its really a shame with the seats, if anything has kept me from ordering an X1 so far its these mickey mouse seats! I am by no means a tall or fat person, but even with my 180 cm height and roughly 85kgs weight i did not feel comfy at all in those seats. Actually, i should write "on" those seats, cause since they are small it feels more you sit on them, rather than becoming integrated into the vehicle by them. I wish i could rip some seats out of an X5 and fit them into here (ye ye could never fit ofc). The part i do not get: since years and years german car makers and testers have critizised and laughed about japanese / korean cars having seats that they would not even fit in a mini. I would really like to sit some of the tall auto bild journalists into the X1 and listen to what they have to say about seat size... Not sure i will wait 3 years until they realize and fit larger seats when they brush up the X1 for the first time, but i m close to.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #19
BMW newbie 2016
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verker View Post
Its really a shame with the seats, if anything has kept me from ordering an X1 so far its these mickey mouse seats! I am by no means a tall or fat person, but even with my 180 cm height and roughly 85kgs weight i did not feel comfy at all in those seats. Actually, i should write "on" those seats, cause since they are small it feels more you sit on them, rather than becoming integrated into the vehicle by them. I wish i could rip some seats out of an X5 and fit them into here (ye ye could never fit ofc). The part i do not get: since years and years german car makers and testers have critizised and laughed about japanese / korean cars having seats that they would not even fit in a mini. I would really like to sit some of the tall auto bild journalists into the X1 and listen to what they have to say about seat size... Not sure i will wait 3 years until they realize and fit larger seats when they brush up the X1 for the first time, but i m close to.
You really should try the sport seats. The extra length makes all the difference. Also the adjustable bolsters make the seats almost custom made. Holds you in really well in hard curves. Just an idea. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #20
bandwagn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
2006 330Cic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar
Love the perspective in this photo - make it look a little tougher than other angles
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 02:44 AM   #21
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
No offense, but our Washington State "mountains" are very different from your Georgia "mountains". For us a trip through the mountains probably takes longer too. Here's some guys taking a trip on Mt. Rainier.

Last edited by ShinySteelRobot; 01-13-2016 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #22
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

No offense in mountains being different.
Appreciate 0