F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 14' Base 328i suspension upgrade options
GetBMWParts

12-30-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
opticspen
Rep
Drives: '14 328i base - need mod

14' Base 328i suspension upgrade options

I have a 14 f30 328i RWD without sports suspension nor DHP(adaptive suspensions)

My goal is actually reduce body roll and get better road feel and steering feeling.

Was driving a e46 330ci sports line with the 18" staggered which is fantastic. Had to let it go as it start to break like every few month and I don't have a deep pocket for that.

Considering the m performance suspension, the latter is very pricey and I saw a $2700 all inclusive price in the forum (include sway bars upgrade to m sports ones)

Any other options that are less pricy and achieve my goal, will Dinan springs set a good one? Or need a spring and struct combo?
Coil over seems overkill for me since I won't never change the setting once set. Plus it's quite expensive if not more than m performance suspension ones

Advises?

Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What wheels and tires - 17", 18", or 19" - do you have? Staggered or square?

The most important question - what is your budget?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
opticspen
Rep

I have base 17" wheel squared
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Without a budget in mind and more information about your goals, it's very difficult to suggest a course of action.

I'd like to suggest a few things which will help you determine what to do next, beginning with the first logical (however not the best) choice:

1. Lowering springs. I don't suggest lowering springs when it's the only suspension component being changed. Your OEM struts are likely soft and may not be able to accommodate the force being dampened as a result of new springs being installed. It's simply impossible to _properly_ match the OEM strut to the non-OEM (likely to be much stiffer) spring. The outcome will be a stiff spring poorly matched with a soft OEM strut causing a bounce - the very result you probably do not want after investing in labor charges to install the springs.

2. Better struts.

3. Coilovers. KW Street Comfort are a great choice balancing cost and handling improvement.

4. Tires. Even with better struts or coilovers, you may not like your vehicle's performance during hard cornering because 17" tires do not have the sidewall of 18" or 19" tires. It's suspension basics: wider tires, lower stiffer sidewall = less compression during hard cornering.

5. Wheels. Lighter 18" and 19" wheels to reduce unsprung weight. But 19" wheels will increase your tire budget.

If I were in your position, I would consider to ...

- Buy 18" 400M wheels from one of Bimmerpost members, with tires if possible.
- Install KW Street Comfort coilovers
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
opticspen
Rep

Thanks, very helpful and yes. I am looking for 400m set on the forum

As for suspension and kW street comfort kit cost 1800or more for parts and that's similar to the m performance kit already. Can't think of that would be better than upgrade to m performance kit? Thoughts?

I do not have a set budget but nothing more than the m performance suspension upgrade (about $3000 total include sway bar upgrade)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

By the way, did you lease or purchase your vehicle? With a leased vehicle, reinstalling OEM parts at the end of the lease is one of the considerations.

M Performance Suspension and KW coilovers are very different products. M Performance Suspension with matched struts and springs will lower your vehicle by 20mm (base suspension). Front and rear sway bars will have to be purchased for vehicles with base suspension.

KW Street Comfort coilovers can be purchased for $1,589 at www.allshocks.com.

KW V1 coilovers offer progressive rate springs and pre-set dampening.

KW V2 coilovers offer linear rate springs with adjustable dampening.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:50 PM   #7
opticspen
Rep

noted, I don't want to lower the car too much but 20mm seems fine, is KW V1 a good choice, and will it be good for daily drive?

thanks a lot!

seems KW V1 isn't that expensive, total probably less than $2k, better than $3K for M-performance suspension + sway bar. since I just really don't see the sway bar just a slightly thinner than the sports version.

anyway, welcome all inputs. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
By the way, did you lease or purchase your vehicle? With a leased vehicle, reinstalling OEM parts at the end of the lease is one of the considerations.

M Performance Suspension and KW coilovers are very different products. M Performance Suspension with matched struts and springs will lower your vehicle by 20mm (base suspension). Front and rear sway bars will have to be purchased for vehicles with base suspension.

KW Street Comfort coilovers can be purchased for $1,589 at www.allshocks.com.

KW V1 coilovers offer progressive rate springs and pre-set dampening.

KW V2 coilovers offer linear rate springs with adjustable dampening.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If you want to maintain OEM suspension geometry, i.e. avoid lowering the vehicle as much as possible, KW Street Comfort coilovers offer a sightly smaller minimum drop than KW V1 coilovers: front - 15mm, rear - 20mm.

I don't believe KW V1 coilovers are available for your specific vehicle. KW Suspension Web site only shows KW Street Comfort availability. You might want to call Allshocks.com to verify.

My daily driver (2013 BMW 335i xDrive) has KW Street Comfort coilovers with rebound dampening set at 9 clicks - recommended by KW as the starting point. For me, these settings provide excellent suspension performance without sacrificing comfort.

I strongly suggest an authorized KW installation shop. This is not a DIY project. It's very likely that you will not need a wheel alignment if the drop is minimum.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #9
Project Elite
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
If you want to maintain OEM suspension geometry, i.e. avoid lowering the vehicle as much as possible, KW Street Comfort coilovers offer a sightly smaller minimum drop than KW V1 coilovers: front - 15mm, rear - 20mm.

I don't believe KW V1 coilovers are available for your specific vehicle. KW Suspension Web site only shows KW Street Comfort availability. You might want to call Allshocks.com to verify.

My daily driver (2013 BMW 335i xDrive) has KW Street Comfort coilovers with rebound dampening set at 9 clicks - recommended by KW as the starting point. For me, these settings provide excellent suspension performance without sacrificing comfort.

I strongly suggest an authorized KW installation shop. This is not a DIY project. It's very likely that you will not need a wheel alignment if the drop is minimum.
KW v1 does fit the 328i RWD non-EDC. Part number is 1022000D.

Installation is fairly simple for any coilover kit, provided you have minimal experience and knowledge how it goes together. Much easier than springs IMO. And it is recommended to get an alignment with ANY new suspension or wheel setup.

OP, I have a brand new set for sale if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Another option....

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1200991
      01-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

If you are looking at the BMW Performance Suspension , then give Koni Yellow and Bilstein Sport a good look. Match them up with sport springs and you will have a much better riding and handling car.

Stay away from price point coilovers that lowers the car, but don't offer much in terms of damper upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
opticspen
Rep

thanks, but is there any proven combination out the market?

I had seen so many people pop their strut hat with Bilstein B8+ HR sports springs
obviously that's a bad match.

M performance suspension obvious backed by BMW.
F30 had been out for several years, no proven aftermarket mods yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
If you are looking at the BMW Performance Suspension , then give Koni Yellow and Bilstein Sport a good look. Match them up with sport springs and you will have a much better riding and handling car.

Stay away from price point coilovers that lowers the car, but don't offer much in terms of damper upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticspen View Post
thanks, but is there any proven combination out the market?

I had seen so many people pop their strut hat with Bilstein B8+ HR sports springs
obviously that's a bad match.

M performance suspension obvious backed by BMW.
F30 had been out for several years, no proven aftermarket mods yet?
I can see that happening if the suspension bottoms out and all the load goes into the strut mount.
Appreciate 0