BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-03-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

1M value in ten years?

What are your thoughts on this? I have two cars I consider investment grade. The 1M and an old porsche. I do not have room for both, so one must go unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

The Porsche sounds like a collectors item; you should keep it.

The 1M will be worth approximately $14,527.47 on January 3, 2026. In anticipation of this value, and being the generous soul that I am, I'd like to offer you $19,500 for it this month, depending of course, on condition and mileage.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:03 AM   #3
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
The Porsche sounds like a collectors item; you should keep it.

The 1M will be worth approximately $14,527.47 on January 3, 2026. In anticipation of this value, and being the generous soul that I am, I'd like to offer you $19,500 for it this month, depending of course, on condition and mileage.
ONLY if you cut me a 100k check, so I could cash it, and wire the difference to you in Nigeria ... lol
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 04:32 AM   #4
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j
What are your thoughts on this? I have two cars I consider investment grade. The 1M and an old porsche. I do not have room for both, so one must go unfortunately.
depends on what the 'old porsche' is.

if it's a 1969 911R then uhhhhh you might want to keep the Porsche.

if it's a rusted 924 then you may want to set it on fire and laugh like a coke-binged-and-filled madman!

post a photo of what you have...

honestly you shouldn't keep cars based on what their value should be. You should keep cars based on what you love and want to keep...
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 04:45 AM   #5
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
I can see the ridiculously low mileage 1Ms going for the low 80-90s. But the ones that actually get driven may come down in price closer to used M3 range.

My best guess is the E82 will have the same fate as the E30. In ten years people will snatch them up for fun cheap track cars and the 1M will be a nice collectible like the E30 M3.
      01-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

The Porsche is an 87 930. But with salvage history due to theft. No structual damage. My heart tells me to keep the porsche.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j View Post
The Porsche is an 87 930. But with salvage history due to theft. No structual damage. My heart tells me to keep the porsche.
You must follow your heart! Porsche values will remain high for a bit while the generation of 50 year olds with a lot of money are looking for them. When they hit 60-65, they will start to sell them off and the next generation that like me, that don't get them at all will not want them and prices will come down. It is a regular cycle. Porsches sound awful to me and they don't make sense. On the other hand the GT4 makes sense to my generation and is high on the lust-o-meter as was the Porsche 917. I think it if you are thinking of resale only, then the Porsche is your best bet. People are paying insane money for even rustbuckets but eventually the older guys that appreciate them will die off and the older ones are not as appealing to a younger generation.

The 1M will be special due to it's rarity. You never see one on the road but prices will vary wildly in 10 years. Beaten up models will be going on the high end of 2011 used car prices but excellent examples with low mileage will be commanding top dollar like you see now with ultra low mileage E46s. I also think that tech-lovers want the latest greatest gadgetry and while all clean, low mileage 1Ms will have a great value, the much rarer stripper with no outdated iDrive and NAV will be the ones people will put want ads for. Not just because they are a little lighter and rarer, but also because they will stand out in contrast to autonomous, electric rolling infotainment arcades.

So I hope that helps but the best piece of advise from me is FOLLOW YOUR HEART! If you keep the Porsche because it makes your heart happy, you won't care if value drops. On the other hand, if you keep the 1M and value drops you will be mad at yourself.

Best wishes and happy new year.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not so sure I agree with everything you just said, I'm 37 I also lusted after the GT4. My 1M has 21k miles, so not ultra low, but is definitely in the low tech category. No nav, no heated seats, no bluetooth, but does have the Harman Kardon system. Both are great cars in totally opposite ways but I really do feel special when I Drive the 930.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
My heart tells me to keep the porsche.
screw the values, resale, what other people think.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS do what your heart says. You will never regret it.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not so sure I agree with everything you just said, I'm 37 I also lusted after the GT4. My 1M has 21k miles, so not ultra low, but is definitely in the low tech category. No nav, no heated seats, no bluetooth, but does have the Harman Kardon system. Both are great cars in totally opposite ways but I really do feel special when I Drive the 930.
: ). I also said the 917 is special and there are a few that appreciate older cars. I'm ine of them but there are less younger people that "get" these Porsches. Values are based in the masses not a few and these are not the flavor for the next generation . Porsche is selling more Cayennes, Panameras, Caymans and whatever non-911 variant to the masses. My 13 year old is totally non-pluses by 911s unlike the older guys that thought they were awesome when we were 13. The 911 and all the variants are special but they are not the future taste of the masses in my humble opinion which I am offering because the OP asked about future values which are linked to a formula of units made divided by people with money that lust for them.

So for example they made thousands of fast back mustangs but millions of people all over the world lusted form them so values go up. Less people lust for 1M but they only made 6k of them so values go up. The made more 911 variants than 1M and there are many now that lust for them but they are declining in the future in my opinion based in that I don't see any 911 posters on any of my kids walls or any of their friends. I see Lambo and Mclaren posters and some Ken Block stuff but I haven't seen a single kid tell me they lust for a 911 variant. I hope that makes some sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

I know for a fact that in 10 years I'll be looking to buy a 1M. Absolute favourite BMW ever made; up there with the e30 and e46 M3's. I'm hoping to have a collection of bmw M cars when I've got the money to do so and am out of university.
      01-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nachob, I do understand what you are saying. Not saying that you are wrong, just semi disagreeing. The old 911's get a response from young and old in my experience. For example, before purchasing the 930, I was visiting my daughter in college and happened to park next to an 80's 911 coupe. I decided to leave a note on that car in hopes of maybe purchasing it and watched it for a bit from her dorm room window. I observed teenagers walking by college age kids young kids and adults of all ages. The 1M got some appreciation but by far and away what grabs everybody's attention was that older 911. I'll be the first one to admit I'm a little Porsche bias. Either way I definitely value your opinion and agree with you 90% . Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #13
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Nachob, I do understand what you are saying. Not saying that you are wrong, just semi disagreeing. The old 911's get a response from young and old in my experience. For example, before purchasing the 930, I was visiting my daughter in college and happened to park next to an 80's 911 coupe. I decided to leave a note on that car in hopes of maybe purchasing it and watched it for a bit from her dorm room window. I observed teenagers walking by college age kids young kids and adults of all ages. The 1M got some appreciation but by far and away what grabs everybody's attention was that older 911. I'll be the first one to admit I'm a little Porsche bias. Either way I definitely value your opinion and agree with you 90% . Cheers.
it gets attention....sort of how a neon yellow sweater would get attention....nice, interesting, but sort of a 'oh look at that' thing.

the 1M gets attention sort of how a 2pc Kiton suit would get attention----it's more subtle, more of a story, and only for certain people's appreciation.

either way....follow your heart...and remember that a salvage title 911 will only have limited appeal in terms of 'investment' potential anyways.....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #14
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love it when kids "get" the older cars. It's cool. No problem on disagreeing. I was just sharing my opinion as requested. The really important thing for me is that if you love it, keep it. You have nothing to lose because if you are wrong on the popularity you still end up with a cool car you love. I told this story once before. When I was a kid I saw a picture of the Dino 246 and loved it. I thought it was stunningly beautiful. When I went to my first car show. I started talking with a Ferrari owner. He had a 308. He asked me what my favorite Ferrari was and I said Dino. He laughed as did the other guys around and they poo pood it saying it's not a real Ferrari. 3 years ago I went to a car auction and a mint 308 barely hit 40k and the red Dino went for 385k. So the moral is that some guy bought a Dino because he loved it while the Ferrari guys poo pood his Fiat and his love translated into the last laugh and an extra $340k. Best wishes and happy driving!

"NOT A REAL FERRARI"

Last edited by nachob; 01-04-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #15
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I love it when kids "get" the older cars. It's cool. No problem on disagreeing. I was just sharing my opinion as requested. The really important thing for me is that if you love it, keep it. You have nothing to lose because if you are wrong on the popularity you still end up with a cool car you love. I told this story once before. When I was a kid I saw a picture of the Dino 246 and loved it. I thought it was stunningly beautiful. When I went to my first car show. I started talking with a Ferrari owner. He had a 308. He asked me what my favorite Ferrari was and I said Dino. He laughed as did the other guys around and they poo pood it saying it's not a real Ferrari. 3 years ago I went to a car auction and a mint 308 barely hit 40k and the red Dino went for 385k. So the moral is that some guy bought a Dino because he loved it while the Ferrari guys poo pood his Fiat and his love translated into the last laugh and an extra $340k. Best wishes and happy driving!

"NOT A REAL FERRARI"

I now agree with you 100% sir!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:03 PM   #16
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]

Photo for posterity.
Appreciate 3
      01-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #17
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Nice.

I would hold onto the one you love the most. It sounds like that is the Porsche. Future value for both cars is purely speculative. I learned to drive in my dad's '86 911 targa and they just don't make them like they used to.

I am 27 years old and I totally get the older 911 craze and would love to have one in my garage one day. That being said, none of my friends aside from those I have met at track days/car events give a damn about cars at all. They see them purely as appliances. IMHO that right there will be the biggest risk on any enthusiast car's value long term.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #18
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
Nice.

I would hold onto the one you love the most. It sounds like that is the Porsche. Future value for both cars is purely speculative. I learned to drive in my dad's '86 911 targa and they just don't make them like they used to.

I am 27 years old and I totally get the older 911 craze and would love to have one in my garage one day. That being said, none of my friends aside from those I have met at track days/car events give a damn about cars at all. They see them purely as appliances. IMHO that right there will be the biggest risk on any enthusiast car's value long term.
i do think Porsches appeal to the 'non-car' people way more than a car like the 1M. Most of my 'non-car' friends seem to understand the 1M is pretty cool but if i asked them "oh should i get a base Porsche Cayman or a 1M?" i'd say 99% of them would pick the base Cayman just because it's a Porsche.

What is of note though, is that MOST of the really unique and desirable collector cars (when they are not super expensive Ferraris or Bugattis) are generally oddball cars with a cult following OR cars with significant racing history. The Dino, as mentioned by nachoB, is under that 'oddball' category. Called "not a real Ferrari" for a long time just like the 1M was called "not a real M car" by the ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #19
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
99% of them would pick the base Cayman just because it's a Porsche.
The Dino, as mentioned by nachoB, is under that 'oddball' category. Called "not a real Ferrari" for a long time just like the 1M was called "not a real M car" by the ignorant.
Two extremely good points.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:29 AM   #20
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i do think Porsches appeal to the 'non-car' people way more than a car like the 1M. Most of my 'non-car' friends seem to understand the 1M is pretty cool but if i asked them "oh should i get a base Porsche Cayman or a 1M?" i'd say 99% of them would pick the base Cayman just because it's a Porsche.

What is of note though, is that MOST of the really unique and desirable collector cars (when they are not super expensive Ferraris or Bugattis) are generally oddball cars with a cult following OR cars with significant racing history. The Dino, as mentioned by nachoB, is under that 'oddball' category. Called "not a real Ferrari" for a long time just like the 1M was called "not a real M car" by the ignorant.
I agree that a Porsche is way more desirable to non car enthusiasts because they associate the Porsche with higher status. Most of my non car friends would also choose the Cayman in that hypothetical, but when it comes time to actually buy a car those people would go with something like a loaded up 3 series or C class instead. They want the space and things like nav, bluetooth, all the loaded up luxury options. I guess my point is that these are not the people who would see the lack of options (stripped 1M) or the lack of nannies (no power steering, abs, traction control in older 911) as pluses.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #21
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Photo for posterity.
Nice whale tail! Tough call.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #22
kubotarog
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, '87 Porsche 911 Cpe

I have an '87 911 that could be the twin of yours. I have owned since new. Light weight, corners on rails and I have never enjoyed driving anything more, particularly on back roads. My 1M, VO in color, is also very special but for me there is nothing that beats the '87 911. I am a much older guy so I am sure that is part of it.
Appreciate 0