F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Daughters school trip to London, would you?
proTUNING Freaks

01-04-2016, 04:29 AM   #1
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Daughters school trip to London, would you?

Year 7 school class have an annual trip to London for 3 days and my daughter is deposit paid to go in Feb. Obviously the security risk has been high the last number of years but this year with Paris and today's headlines it just seems even more heightened. As its a school trip they will be visiting all the sights which is great but also more of a concern as these are generally the targeted areas.

She would be sad to miss out I'm sure and as yet I haven't spoken to the school but my feeling is that they will go ahead unless a lot of parents withdraw. Haven't spoken to any other parents yet but in reality its our decision no matter that anyone else does.

So whats the thinking, would you send your 10 year old child on the trip. Full funds need paid by this Thursday so we need to decide kinda quick. My wife hasn't been keen although she knows there is a 99.999999999% chance all will be fine, I had kinda thought its worth it for the experience and was veering towards letting her go and then the headlines this morning bring it all back to focus.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 04:45 AM   #2
Twenty2Three
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i M Sport

As a parent I share the same sentiments and have an younger and an older daughter living in Munich!
Of course let her go... thankfully the UK is an incredibly safe place to reside.
At the moment you can control most of what you do with her but in a few years she will want to see the world and there is not a right lot you can do then.
I trust the school will also offer reassurances to parents.
She will have a great time
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 04:58 AM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

First caveat... I don't have kids, and so accept that I can't really put myself in anyone else's shoes, but I would let my kids go. The chances of anything happening are extremely remote, and certainly no higher than the inherent risks of any other aspect of everyday life, such as getting in a car, participating in sport etc.

And on a completely different note, it would just make me very sad if people started making these kinds of changes to our ways of life... it's like saying these guys are winning.

But, each person needs to be comfortable with their own decisions, and this is where the difficulty lies, so bollocks to anyone's else opinion perhaps.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 4
      01-04-2016, 05:11 AM   #4
Quail
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
First caveat... I don't have kids, and so accept that I can't really put myself in anyone else's shoes, but I would let my kids go. The chances of anything happening are extremely remote, and certainly no higher than the inherent risks of any other aspect of everyday life, such as getting in a car, participating in sport etc.

And on a completely different note, it would just make me very sad if people started making these kinds of changes to our ways of life... it's like saying these guys are winning.

But, each person needs to be comfortable with their own decisions, and this is where the difficulty lies, so bollocks to anyone's else opinion perhaps.
You've echoed my thoughts to the letter.
      01-04-2016, 05:12 AM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Tricky one this, we have a France trip for our 11 year old, visiting Paris for a day too.

I said yes and the Mrs overruled with a No anyway!
      01-04-2016, 05:19 AM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I have younger children than yours but both at school. In your position I'd let them go but would be asking the school, and specifically the responsible person for the trip, what precautions are being taken including ensuring they will be aware of any security alerts that may be issued. You could also give your young one a phone if they don't already have one.

The world is s big place and IMO we should bring our children up to be inquisitive, informed and big horizons. A trip to any capital city is s great experience early in life, especially with the added adventure of being away from home.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 05:22 AM   #7
isleaiw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d SE, silver with black lea

I work there. I work for a company that has buildings in areas of attraction to the people you are worried about. I would say let her go. No on can guarantee safety - you cant do that when she is at school normally - but I think the risk is reasonable and what she will get out of it far outweighs the minimal risk.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 05:33 AM   #8
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

My son is long out of school, he lives with me and I still worry about him, but you cannot live their lives for them, at his age I was living on my own far from home and family.

Presently and for the last 30 years I have worked in many places around the world where simply going out of the door of the hotel or leaving a secure compound is carefully assessed for its risks and hazards. I travel regularly through London, Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, Lisbon in Europe and none of these presently causes me to modify my plans. I do note a much heightened visible presence of armed police at key spots but life appears to be carrying on normally.

To not travel to any where in 'civilised' western Europe that is 'functioning normally' where people, families, children live work and go to school what does that say to those people?

Practically I am sure that any organised school trip will have been risk and hazard managed to the nth degree and will be called off or amended during, based on advice received. As others have said it is what each of us feels comfortable with.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2016, 05:59 AM   #9
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex_F32 View Post
My son is long out of school, he lives with me and I still worry about him, but you cannot live their lives for them, at his age I was living on my own far from home and family.

Presently and for the last 30 years I have worked in many places around the world where simply going out of the door of the hotel or leaving a secure compound is carefully assessed for its risks and hazards. I travel regularly through London, Paris, Amsterdam, Milan, Lisbon in Europe and none of these presently causes me to modify my plans. I do note a much heightened visible presence of armed police at key spots but life appears to be carrying on normally.

To not travel to any where in 'civilised' western Europe that is 'functioning normally' where people, families, children live work and go to school what does that say to those people?

Practically I am sure that any organised school trip will have been risk and hazard managed to the nth degree and will be called off or amended during, based on advice received. As others have said it is what each of us feels comfortable with.

In a very similar boat.

Travel loads (have since was 17).

Spent a lot of that time (as have others on the forum) being a key target and my family as well.

There will be risks in all parts of the country, it's a hard call and as mentioned it's how comfortable you are with the trip, the schools management.

I am down there this week and for next few weeks off and on.

The school should be asking for regular security updates.

It's a nightmare having kids lol.

I remember chatting to my mate when my daughter started her combat medic stuff, I pointed out I felt she was safer doing that than as a female uni student in Nottingham etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #10
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Pretty much your postings all echo my thoughts. I totally hate the thought that some terrorists may disrupt things so much that we would consider denying our daughter the experience. However we have to be realistic and recognise there is a risk and especially a group of kids could well be a headline grabber for some suicidal nutter.

I do consider asking the school but don't feel I will be overly confident in their replies. Ultimately no one can tell them what may happen so they have got to take the risk if they choose to do so.

I know she will have a great time and see all the sights for the first time. Someone mentioned phones but they aren't allowed to take phones apparently. Think the risk of a kid phoning home all the time and getting more homesick is the reason.

Ahhhhh I dunno .......
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #11
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

My thoughts too. Although you're absolutely right, as tengo says, to say "bollocks to anyone else's opinion" I'll voice it anyway: I think it's ridiculous not to allow her to go on a trip like this because of an almost infinitesimally small chance of a terror attack.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #12
davyk31
Major General
Rep

I think it's ridiculous not to allow her to go on a trip like this because of an almost infinitesimally small chance of a terror attack.[/QUOTE]

There were a large number of people in Paris who fell victim to the "infinitesimally small chance of a terror attack" to name just one of the recent events. Yes they don't often happen but they do happen and the fact the country is on high alert means the chances are a bit higher than infinitesimally small.

Sometimes its good to have the big balls approach and other times its wise to risk assess and take precautions where wise.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
I think it's ridiculous not to allow her to go on a trip like this because of an almost infinitesimally small chance of a terror attack.
There were a large number of people in Paris who fell victim to the "infinitesimally small chance of a terror attack" to name just one of the recent events. Yes they don't often happen but they do happen and the fact the country is on high alert means the chances are a bit higher than infinitesimally small.

Sometimes its good to have the big balls approach and other times its wise to risk assess and take precautions where wise.[/QUOTE]

Yep very much so, you have to think about these things.

While the chances of anything gapping are very small, they are still present.

What does have a higher chance of happening is security alerts occurring that suddenly close tube stations, attractions etc.

This is mainly due to suspect bags etc.

There is a big difference in thinking about these things and worrying about them.
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #14
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Completely yours and your families decision.

One at 21 and one at 15, regularly travel with uni/School to London, Berlin, Barcelona etc and with every trip i have a wobble. Same when took son to US in November was very conscious.

The only time i've said no is when we had fco/work tell us not to travel somewhere yet school were still talking about going.
      01-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Can't help but feel like these loonies win if we change our lives because of them, I say go but then its ultimately your decision
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #16
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

OP don't give into these fuckers, it is what they are angling for. The missus and I drove up to the Westfield Centre today, all the wife did was go on about the mussies might blow us up.

I say sod em and carry on as normal.
Appreciate 3
      01-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #17
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

Obviously it's your call and only you can make the decision.

That said, we went on a sightseeing trip to London with our 7 year old last October half term break. Not once did I even stop to think about potential terrorist attacks, let alone worry about them.

I go to London a few times a year through work, but the learning experiences for him (and my wife who had never been to London either) of the tubes, sights, different cultures etc. were invaluable. He can't wait to go again and I wouldn't think twice about doing it.

If you actually look at it, there is statistically more chance of something untoward happening on the daily school run than there is of being caught up in a terrorist incident.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #18
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
If you think about it logically the biggest risk is probably the drive up there in real terms

Kids will put you into an early grave but there's only so much protecting you can do.

As many have said don't realistically think anything will happen and yes you will worry right up until she's back home safe and sound irrespective give of any threats

I did when my daughter did the same trip a few years back.

Your call at the end of the day.
      01-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #19
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
In a simillar boat as family want to go to Florida for our hols and it's something I've been promising the fat kids for a while now!!!

Doesn't help I know but you're not alone in these worries
      01-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #20
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Yes think plenty of us parents have these concerns and it doesn't go away no matter what age the kids are. Reckon it's just my protective instinct as she has never been away alone and is only 10 hence I have always been there to protect and assess risks. With this trip her security and well being us in someone else's hands especially given the increased level of madness in the world.

Part of me says let her go and enjoy the experience and she will almost certainly be ok. Other part says that she is much safer at home and the benefits of the trip experience e are only relative compared to the risk of being injured there ie. Her life song suffer that much by not going but coming home injured or worse would be much more serious.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #21
Notechy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d xDrive SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT_335i View Post
Obviously it's your call and only you can make the decision.

If you actually look at it, there is statistically more chance of something untoward happening on the daily school run than there is of being caught up in a terrorist incident.

Quite!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #22
Ice Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

Not much to add to whats already been said apart from a different perspective. I am a parent I am also a chair of governors at a school. You mentioned asking the school but not having much confidence in there response. You are concerned about your child on this trip the school will be concerned for all of the children ( if they are not your child maybe at the wrong school ) a head teacher is not going to want to deal with the fall out from an incident on a school trip. The governing body who will no doubt have approved the trip will not want to have to answer questions to parents and media on why they let the trip go ahead.

So whilst this is your loved one every bit of care will have been taken to mitigate any risk, and if it was deemed too high then this trip would not be going ahead. If this was my school we would be monitoring the situation and if it was deemed too risky the trip would be cancelled.
Appreciate 0