BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Navigation Menu

01-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

Navigation Menu

Could a few people please confirm if their Navigation Menu looks like either Picture 1 or Picture 2?
The principle difference is in Pic 1, after Maps it shows 'Saved Trips'
In Pic 2, after Maps it shows 'Route Details'.

I saw my local 'BMW Genius' today who told me Picture 1 is no longer available or indeed valid (although this is taken from BMW website).
The main advantage was that as well as using BMW pre planned routes, you could plan your own trip with multiple stops on your PC and either send it to the car or save to a USB stick and plug it in. This is no longer an option?

I would just like to check what we have is the same. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (207.7 KB, 987 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

My menus are the same as yours (second pic). Also UK, Navigation Plus.

I've not yet tried any of the navigation related remote features. Only fiddled with remote AC, locks and lights a couple of times. Can't comment if planned routes feature is still available or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

I've got pic 2. I hadn't tried coping my own routes, but that would definitely be useful.

Do you have the the full ConnectedDrive services?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogit View Post
Do you have the the full ConnectedDrive services?
It's part of Nav Plus.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies / confirmation. I have got all the services as part of Nav Plus.
In order to add destinations via a PC you now have to send the vehicle a message to and include a postcode or location. You can then pick up this message and use the info to navigate to the address.

IMO not nearly as good as picture 1 as you could do multiple destination's and send a complete route in one hit. I have since learnt that Pic 1 was part of the Professional Nav System although the Connected website doesn't make that clear. Also it doesn't stop you entering routes and 'sending' to your vehicle even though it has your VIN No and should know you can't pick up the details?
Not the end of the world - just a bit annoying !! Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just tried to send two destinations to my car via the iOS app (selected from my iPhone's contacts) and another via BMW's website. The one via iOS went through (Connected services>>>Messages). The website one didn't.

Can't be bothered to send another one and go back downstairs to check to be honest! Maybe tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 02:10 AM   #7
M-Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Does anyone know the difference between the navigation plus(F48) and navigation professional(F10,F30&F15)?
One difference i know is that the plus system doesn't have a hard drive but what else is different?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #8
X1PGK
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d X Drive X Line 2016

To input a route you have sent to the car is as follows. Scroll down the Menu to Connected Drive. Then scroll down and look in Messages. You will see unopened symbols of little envelopes. Click on the unopened envelope and it will show the address you have sent from your PC or phone. Click on the address and it asks if you want to start navigation.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #9
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Nick View Post
Does anyone know the difference between the navigation plus(F48) and navigation professional(F10,F30&F15)?
One difference i know is that the plus system doesn't have a hard drive but what else is different?
Try not to get terminology mixed up (difficult with BMW's, I know!).

There is no such thing as Navigation Professional - the package you refer to is Professional Media (I have this in my F30 - some of the components may have changed since my car was built in 2013) and includes HDD, RTTI, 3D Maps, Voice Control, App Support, Concierge Services, BMW Connected Drive, Bigger Display screen, Remote destination support, Black Panel Display, BMW Widgets, enhance iDrive controller, Office support (e-mails & text interaction)...I've probably forgotten some other things.

The Navigation Plus package for the X1 is essentially a stripped down version of the above - in F30 speak, it'd sit somewhere between Business Navigation and Professional Media.

Clear as mud!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
Try not to get terminology mixed up (difficult with BMW's, I know!).

There is no such thing as Navigation Professional - the package you refer to is Professional Media (I have this in my F30 - some of the components may have changed since my car was built in 2013) and includes HDD, RTTI, 3D Maps, Voice Control, App Support, Concierge Services, BMW Connected Drive, Bigger Display screen, Remote destination support, Black Panel Display, BMW Widgets, enhance iDrive controller, Office support (e-mails & text interaction)...I've probably forgotten some other things.

The Navigation Plus package for the X1 is essentially a stripped down version of the above - in F30 speak, it'd sit somewhere between Business Navigation and Professional Media.

Clear as mud!
But with the head up display you don't get with Pro Media (F30) thrown in.

Main things stripped from it that I can see are:

- No HDD
- Inability to have map on right hand side of split display

Also the UI is a bit more laggy in the cut down model.
      05-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
But with the head up display you don't get with Pro Media (F30) thrown in.

Main things stripped from it that I can see are:

- No HDD
- Inability to have map on right hand side of split display

Also the UI is a bit more laggy in the cut down model.
Yes, of course...a pricey option on it's own, no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #12
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

At least, most of you in other countries get speed camera, speed limit change etc warnings included.
Here is Queensland, Australia we don't have them in our BMW Sat Nav.
This is due to government stipulations on in car systems that don't allow it.
Whilst my X1 has the big screen, 3D graphics and the features like voice activation, spoken street names etc, it lacks the actual useful features you also want like speed camera, speed limit change etc warnings.
So mostly, it just shows the roads in 3D and which of them have traffic congestion, it is just there for show.
I would like to know if it is possible to have features like speed camera, speed limit change etc warning activated. BMW here say they not allowed to do it.

If I use a Garmin, TomTom or any portable Sat Nav device it is not a problem, they all have these features as they are not factory Built in systems. (how stupid is that)

So if I am going to go somewhere that I do not know, I have to use my TomTom, so that I have all the driving aids that a Sat Nav should have like speed camera, speed limit change etc (be it on a smaller screen)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #13
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20/F48 View Post
Here is Queensland, Australia we don't have them in our BMW Sat Nav.
This is due to government stipulations on in car systems that don't allow it.
I wasn't aware of this, and actually I believe it's a BMW issue rather than the government's. With respect to speed cameras, in NSW the Transport Department has an app, Live Traffic, which includes all fixed speed and traffic camera locations; the data is public. This is also the case in Canberra. Speed camera vans were supposed to be advised as well, but apparently the constant updating became all too hard

I questioned my dealer on why the speed limit change information, based on both GPS and the car's camera, is not enabled, and was told BMW was concerned about the system "misleading" drivers. Apparently, it may be enabled sometime in the future.

Personally, I think a warning -- any warning -- is better than nothing
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 02:08 AM   #14
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20/F48 View Post
At least, most of you in other countries get speed camera, speed limit change etc warnings included.
Unfortunately we don't get speed camera warnings in the UK either.
I ditched my Tomtom because it seemed stupid having two satnav systems in the car and I ended up buying a Dashcam with speed warnings. I can't believe BMW don't give you the option even if you had to pay for updates under Connected Drive services. Is this a car company missing out on a money making opportunity just because of morals!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 03:25 AM   #15
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluezed View Post
Unfortunately we don't get speed camera warnings in the UK either.
I ditched my Tomtom because it seemed stupid having two satnav systems in the car and I ended up buying a Dashcam with speed warnings. I can't believe BMW don't give you the option even if you had to pay for updates under Connected Drive services. Is this a car company missing out on a money making opportunity just because of morals!!
I was also dissappointed to find that in a £40k car there are no speed camera warnings. On the plus side I did try the feature where you click the left steering wheel button when the speed limit changes and it sets a new speed limit on the car to match (+/- an offset) - worked well - does feel strange though when you press the gas and nothing happens
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #16
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_P View Post
I was also dissappointed to find that in a £40k car there are no speed camera warnings. On the plus side I did try the feature where you click the left steering wheel button when the speed limit changes and it sets a new speed limit on the car to match (+/- an offset) - worked well - does feel strange though when you press the gas and nothing happens
Now i'm intrigued! Which button does that?
      05-13-2016, 01:26 AM   #17
M-Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Name:  Left-Buttons.jpg
Views: 3529
Size:  110.2 KB
Press the "LIM" button on the steering wheel to activate the speed limit function and then use the rocker switch to increase or decrease the speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 04:04 AM   #18
Bill_P
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20i xLine MW

Quote:
M-Nick is correct. If I remember correctly once it is activated and say you go from 40 limit to 30 limit a prompt comes up in the HUD with an arrow pointing down so then you press the rocker switch down and the new limit is activated. As I mentioned you can set an overall "offset" - say 3 mph over the actual limit - and so the car will be limited to 33 mph. If you go from 30 to 40 then the arrow will point up and the rocker switch needs to go up. Once running at the limit you can still adjust the limit with the rocker switch if you wish.

Bear in mind that I have Nav Plus and Driving Assistant Plus so it may be part of Driving Assistant Plus - I am not sure
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 04:09 AM   #19
sdb123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_P View Post
Bear in mind that I have Nav Plus and Driving Assistant Plus so it may be part of Driving Assistant Plus - I am not sure
I'm 99% sure it is part of the Driving Assistant Plus package. I had two demo X1's, one with and one without Driving Assistant Plus and IIRC this feature was only on the one with Driving Assistant Plus.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 04:30 AM   #20
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

You have to activate speed limit assist in the iDrive settings first, mine wasn't doing this so I had a look and discovered that this feature had to be activated first...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 05:07 AM   #21
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe, F48 X1 xDr25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I wasn't aware of this, and actually I believe it's a BMW issue rather than the government's. With respect to speed cameras, in NSW the Transport Department has an app, Live Traffic, which includes all fixed speed and traffic camera locations; the data is public. This is also the case in Canberra. Speed camera vans were supposed to be advised as well, but apparently the constant updating became all too hard

I questioned my dealer on why the speed limit change information, based on both GPS and the car's camera, is not enabled, and was told BMW was concerned about the system "misleading" drivers. Apparently, it may be enabled sometime in the future.

Personally, I think a warning -- any warning -- is better than nothing
BMWs had this enabled a while back then, after getting a number of "complaints" (time-dependent speed limits (school zones), speed limit signs on trucks and buses, etc.), I understand they started disabling this feature. I remember reading this on both broadsheets as well as web-zines a while back.

Agree with you that any warning is good and it should just let us, the driver, determine what the warning is really pointing to and adjust accordingly. Such a waste of technology and capability.

Now I hope somebody can crack this and tell us how to code this back.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 06:06 AM   #22
jsdh89j9ijkL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eml View Post
BMWs had this enabled a while back then, after getting a number of "complaints" (time-dependent speed limits (school zones), speed limit signs on trucks and buses, etc.), I understand they started disabling this feature. I remember reading this on both broadsheets as well as web-zines a while back.

Agree with you that any warning is good and it should just let us, the driver, determine what the warning is really pointing to and adjust accordingly. Such a waste of technology and capability.

Now I hope somebody can crack this and tell us how to code this back.
Ha, try driving on the UK's 'smart' motorways that have speed limit changes, that can change in a few hundred metres and you can end up with changes each time, so something like: 70 - 60 -50 - 60 - 40 - 70 ( mph ) is possible. You soon start to wonder what speed you should be travelling at.

Also this comes in handy when on an unrestricted autobahn, it can change down to 90km around a junction ( on the approach to is where the unmarked BMW tourings sit ), then back to 120km or unrestricted.

Or try a 20km limit in some French hamlets.

Personally, I think its a good idea and you have the option to ignore the nannying if needed.
Appreciate 0