F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R with stock suspension or B8's?
Studio RSR

01-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
efunnra
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30

H&R with stock suspension or B8's?

So I've read a few threads about H&R springs with B8's but haven't really found any just with stock suspension and reviews.

If I got H&R Sport springs for my F30 (non adaptive suspn.) and just ran stock shocks, would it be fine? EG if i hit a pothole (not a deep one) i'd still be fine right?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
I've been reading up on this too as I'm looking to upgrade my suspension as well. I'm currently on hr sport on stock dhp m sport struts.

I've hit numerous small pot holes or bumps (often sudden changes in pavement height due to repaving) in The road that cause a big loud thud followed by a very very loud "f%&k me!!". And I'm a pretty careful driver too. Fortunately, I don't believe I have experienced any ill effects or damage on these smaller pot holes and bumps. On fully stock suspension or some coils, I would probably not get those big thuds nor feel some of these bumps I'm sure of it.

However, I think the main reason there have been so many broken top hats and suspension parts with b8 and h&r is because the springs are too short and the weight of the car is sitting on the struts. This combo just isn't a good match and after reading all the diff threads myself, I've decided to avoid getting the b8s.

I think the options at this point are:

A: coils
B: switch to dinan springs and b8 struts
C: sounds like eibach springs and b8 struts work well too
D: add dinan shockware

I have not found any info on any other aftermarket strut option that would match up well with the h&r sports. I wonder if anyone else has?? Koni??

And then I realized I totally didnt read your question properly. You were asking about how H&R works with stock, non-DHP struts.
They will work fine. My guess is they will be a bit bouncy, as they are with even the DHP. It will come down to how sensitive you are to the ride. Some people are very sensitive to how a car rides and notices every bump, bounce, etc....others don't even notice it much. I'm of the latter. My wife however, complains about how uncomfortable it is to sit in my car (hence my interest in B8's as well, and now height/dampening adjustable coils. I swear, getting coils is really just for her own good! not mine! )

Last edited by E30toF30; 01-13-2016 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
efunnra
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
I've been reading up on this too as I'm looking to upgrade my suspension as well. I'm currently on hr sport on stock dhp m sport struts.

I've hit numerous small pot holes or bumps (often sudden changes in pavement height due to repaving) in The road that cause a big loud thud followed by a very very loud "f%&k me!!". And I'm a pretty careful driver too. Fortunately, I don't believe I have experienced any ill effects or damage on these smaller pot holes and bumps. On fully stock suspension or some coils, I would probably not get those big thuds nor feel some of these bumps I'm sure of it.

However, I think the main reason there have been so many broken top hats and suspension parts with b8 and h&r is because the springs are too short and the weight of the car is sitting on the struts. This combo just isn't a good match and after reading all the diff threads myself, I've decided to avoid getting the b8s.

I think the options at this point are:

A: coils
B: switch to dinan springs and b8 struts
C: sounds like eibach springs and b8 struts work well too
D: add dinan shockware

I have not found any info on any other aftermarket strut option that would match up well with the h&r sports. I wonder if anyone else has?? Koni??
Yeah I was looking into eibach and dinan, but also came across the H&R Cup Kit suspension (springs x struts) which is apparently the same quality as their coilovers but obviously non-adjustable.

BTW Dinan Springs x B8 Struts work fine?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by efunnra View Post
Yeah I was looking into eibach and dinan, but also came across the H&R Cup Kit suspension (springs x struts) which is apparently the same quality as their coilovers but obviously non-adjustable.

BTW Dinan Springs x B8 Struts work fine?
They do from what I read. The Dinan springs are not short like the H&R springs. So from size pov, they match up much better with the B8 than the H&R. If i'm not mistaken, it is the fact that the H&R springs are too short that is causing all the issues. The longer springs provides the additional support for the car, making it less likely to cause the damage people are seeing.

Again, this is my interpretation of what i've read on the forums here. I do not have first hand experience, nor do I consider myself too knowledgeable with suspension components. Hopefully some others here with more knowledge can chime in.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by efunnra View Post
Yeah I was looking into eibach and dinan, but also came across the H&R Cup Kit suspension (springs x struts)......
Not sure H&R list a cup kit to fit F2x series.

If going with coilovers - ST are made by KW and their XTA range are great value given that who they are made by and that top mounts are adjustable, a feature which only comes with KW clubsport package at 3 x price......

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap...t1822080d.html

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
bbog2008
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

I fitted my car with Dinan springs and B8. I have been running this set up for 7 months now. Absolutely no issues, and we have really poor roads around here.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
VividRacingII
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F80 M3

You will be fine with H&R springs and Stock strut. With the spring and sport shock the ride is very smooth stock feel. But in the long run, I would recommend people to go with coilovers.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2016, 02:40 AM   #8
efunnra
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Not sure H&R list a cup kit to fit F2x series.

If going with coilovers - ST are made by KW and their XTA range are great value given that who they are made by and that top mounts are adjustable, a feature which only comes with KW clubsport package at 3 x price......

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap...t1822080d.html
I've an F30, the cup kit link is here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H-R-Cupki...-/281793633381

btw thanks for everyone's input on this issue, has definately cleared up a few things that I was confused about. I might be looking into the Dinan x B8 suspension setup!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 02:41 AM   #9
TSiSPY007
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 335i xDrive;16 X1;96 4G63T

I like the slightly lower drop of the H&R Sports over the Eibach or Dinan...What I'm not understanding is how come I've been reading that some forum members feel the OEM shocks are "fine" with the H&R Sports while the B8's are not; aren't the B8's body shorter than OEM shocks, given that Bilstein claims that the B8's are meant for lowering springs?

Kinda confused since I thought H&R Sports with B8's have been the traditional favs for the other 3series chassis...

Can someone clarify, please? Thx!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #10
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiSPY007 View Post
I like the slightly lower drop of the H&R Sports over the Eibach or Dinan...What I'm not understanding is how come I've been reading that some forum members feel the OEM shocks are "fine" with the H&R Sports while the B8's are not; aren't the B8's body shorter than OEM shocks, given that Bilstein claims that the B8's are meant for lowering springs?

Kinda confused since I thought H&R Sports with B8's have been the traditional favs for the other 3series chassis...

Can someone clarify, please? Thx!
cant testify for the b8s because I ran h&r sports with OEM shocks. honestly, I feel like from my experience, h&r springs are just way too short. The ride is extremely rough over any uneven surfaces, potholes forget about it.

Dinan springs + dinan bumpstops is marginally better from what I've read, but Ive had close to OEM comfort since I switched to KW street comforts
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #11
bbog2008
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive

B8 struts are a different design than a OEM strut. The piston is up side down and the bump stop is built in. I did no measure them when I installed them but I believe B8 body is the same length but the rod/piston is definitely shorter.

What I discovered after installation was that the front sited higher 3-5 mm. I started to measure the two struts (OEM and B8) and I am not sure, but I think that B8 perch is elevated with this 5 mm vs OEM. Again, I cannot put my money on this as the B8 was already on the car when I measured and it was very difficult to do a proper measuring.

Last edited by bbog2008; 01-15-2016 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0