Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

01-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
mjcecil
Sometimes, I wear a cape...
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Sapphire

Vienna/Fairfax brake installer

All:

This is not necessarily for my M3 (actually my X5), but it applies as well to the M3 crowd, so I home I don't get kicked...

I have a full set of rear brake service parts (rotors, sensor, pads, mounting bolts) that I bought from Turner, and I can't seem to find anyone willing to accept the parts and just perform the labor. Any thoughts? I work in 22180, and the car sleeps in 22310.

(Yeah, I'm now keenly aware that I should probably have called around about this before I ordered the parts.)

Thanks!

Mark
      01-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

That might be a tough sell to a "qualified" installer for the obvious reason, so might be best to rent some rack time, get the help of a knowledgeable friend and DIY. It not that difficult.
      01-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcecil View Post
All:

This is not necessarily for my M3 (actually my X5), but it applies as well to the M3 crowd, so I home I don't get kicked...

I have a full set of rear brake service parts (rotors, sensor, pads, mounting bolts) that I bought from Turner, and I can't seem to find anyone willing to accept the parts and just perform the labor. Any thoughts? I work in 22180, and the car sleeps in 22310.

(Yeah, I'm now keenly aware that I should probably have called around about this before I ordered the parts.)

Thanks!

Mark
Sending PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
mjcecil
Sometimes, I wear a cape...
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
That might be a tough sell to a "qualified" installer for the obvious reason, so might be best to rent some rack time, get the help of a knowledgeable friend and DIY. It not that difficult.
No, I get that.

I've actually done this myself before (had to do a lot of this stuff back in the days when my M3 note was essentially all I could afford), and you are correct... With the appropriate tools (or, in the case of the piston compressor, a pretty passable approximation), it's pretty straightforward.

That said, I simply don't have the time or the patience anymore. Hence the desire to have somebody do the two-hour service.

A little background on this one: I was quoted a grand at basically everywhere to do the brake pads/rotors/sensor for the rear only. This virtually always included seven hundred dollars in rotors and pads. I knew I could cut the parts cost in half, and still get a quality set (Thanks, Turner!). The whole shebacng was about $300 in parts. Now I'm looking to get somebody to do the greasemonkey part. (I have had a lister already reply with a suggestion, so it looks like that's going to go nicely)

-Mark
      01-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcecil View Post
No, I get that.

I've actually done this myself before (had to do a lot of this stuff back in the days when my M3 note was essentially all I could afford), and you are correct... With the appropriate tools (or, in the case of the piston compressor, a pretty passable approximation), it's pretty straightforward.

That said, I simply don't have the time or the patience anymore. Hence the desire to have somebody do the two-hour service.

A little background on this one: I was quoted a grand at basically everywhere to do the brake pads/rotors/sensor for the rear only. This virtually always included seven hundred dollars in rotors and pads. I knew I could cut the parts cost in half, and still get a quality set (Thanks, Turner!). The whole shebacng was about $300 in parts. Now I'm looking to get somebody to do the greasemonkey part. (I have had a lister already reply with a suggestion, so it looks like that's going to go nicely)

-Mark
I hear you, guess we all get to that point where our limited time(in a busy world)is sometimes better spent elsewhere, especially if we have the financial means to do so. Hope you get to a satisfactory solution, the members here have great ideas and helpful info, so good luck with it. And yes, I do agree M brake jobs are insanely expensive, buying OEM parts and avoiding full markup dealership prices is just plain good common sense.

Last edited by shortseller; 01-13-2016 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0