BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-20-2016, 03:12 AM   #1
jamier27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

M5 failures?

Having done loads of searching it seems that the M5 is a pretty reliable motor!
I've had mine a few months and 2500 miles in, and keep looking at remaps by evolve and DMS, and have messaged litchfield with no response...
But with a map there's always a worry that it's too much strain.

Has there been any documented failures due to tweaking, I'd only ever go for a map with no bolt ons.

As I've only done 2500 miles id want at least 5000 on it before considering one (I think )

Am I being a bit naive to think that even with a map it's still very reliable? As it is a relatively new engine and probably only been mapped in last 2-3 years
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 04:22 AM   #2
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

From what I understand from those across the pond, the drivetrain, engine etc etc can take a fair amount of additional strain when adding more power....

My experience my my m5 has been pretty good, ive had a few niggles (nothing major) that have all been sorted out under warranty..but for me warranty is the most important thing when owning this kind of car and I know that any kind of modification would invalidate the warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
jamier27
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, warranty is a concern.
Asseemingly DMS offer a warranty with there map and it is pretty much untraceable anyway?! As its not a full re-flash it's basically manually coding in the lines that require it. So unless BMW go back and compare each line of code from 1000's they'd never know... Someone may come along and correct me
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Any remap is detectable. There is no such thing as an undetectable remap. Its BMW's product at the end of the day. If they wanted to see if something had been changed they could easily do so.

With regards to reliability so far so good on this side of the pond and the US. We are currently running 750 BHP in my daily driven F10 M5 and have done many top speed runs and 60-130 MPH times. We have not had to replace any coil packs, spark plugs or injectors etc in this time. I think they are very robust.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
harry007
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: White M5 F10

Yes lichfield never ever get back to anyone. You wonder how there business operates
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:45 AM   #6
jamier27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Any remap is detectable. There is no such thing as an undetectable remap. Its BMW's product at the end of the day. If they wanted to see if something had been changed they could easily do so.

With regards to reliability so far so good on this side of the pond and the US. We are currently running 750 BHP in my daily driven F10 M5 and have done many top speed runs and 60-130 MPH times. We have not had to replace any coil packs, spark plugs or injectors etc in this time. I think they are very robust.
I agree no remap is untraceable as I said "virtually" some will no doubt be harder than others I'd have tought? Specially complete reflashes - forgive me it's just my basic understanding I could be completely wrong.

I just find it hard to stomach £2k+ if it is an hours work on a reflash, but if it's a day or two of coding then it's understandable. Last car I had mapped was a TTRS + (not quite comparable I know) and was done by APR for around £650 and the change was worth every penny and more!

But before we get off topic no-one has come back to say there has been a failure on this thread or another I have posted elsewhere so it's all very promising.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #7
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

For ECU flashes/ECU Remaps data is extracted out of the ECU - some parts of the code are rewritten - new data is flashed back in. There is no secret way of doing this to make one companies remap less detectable than anothers.

FYI we do take the car in for 2 days at the moment to remap them. The car has 2 ECU's so its already double the work of any other F series BMW. If it was an OBD flash it would be less but there is no way to do this at present.

You are more than welcome to come and check out our demo car. Its a bit more than a Stage 1 but will give you a good idea of what to expect.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
jamier27
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks imran for your replies and input, would like a experience a mapped car TBH so may take you up on that... Your based in the midlands aren't you?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #9
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier27 View Post
Thanks imran for your replies and input, would like a experience a mapped car TBH so may take you up on that... Your based in the midlands aren't you?
We are based a few miles from Junction 12 of the M1.

Just give us a call before hand so I can make sure the car is available. We are upgrading to bigger turbos around March time so it would be better for you to get an idea before then!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #10
jamier27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
We are based a few miles from Junction 12 of the M1.

Just give us a call before hand so I can make sure the car is available. We are upgrading to bigger turbos around March time so it would be better for you to get an idea before then!
Cool thanks
Wow that's quite exciting! What's the target... ?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 06:13 AM   #11
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamier27 View Post
Cool thanks
Wow that's quite exciting! What's the target... ?
There is no target as such but I would expect around 850-900 BHP on our dyno.
Appreciate 0