F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 340i Xdrive M Adaptive Suspension Options experience
ARMA SPEED

01-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

340i Xdrive M Adaptive Suspension Options experience

I'm looking to lower my 340i Xdrive with M adaptive suspension and wanted to hear what options and experience people have had.

I found a thread on F80's being lowered with the adaptive suspension and it doesn't seem like the ride has an equal OEM feel. Seems owners there are noticing the springs don't match well with the dampers. I'm hoping this is not the case with 340i's revised suspension.

So far I found H&R sport springs as an option. Anyone install these and how are you liking them in Comfort and Sport?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido
I'm looking to lower my 340i Xdrive with M adaptive suspension and wanted to hear what options and experience people have had.

I found a thread on F80's being lowered with the adaptive suspension and it doesn't seem like the ride has an equal OEM feel. Seems owners there are noticing the springs don't match well with the dampers. I'm hoping this is not the case with 340i's revised suspension.

So far I found H&R sport springs as an option. Anyone install these and how are you liking them in Comfort and Sport?
The best setup using stock dampers is probably Dinan's lowering springs specific to the xDrive's, paired with their Shockware or whatever gimmicky name they gave the EDC flash. It's probably not out yet for 340's, but something to put on your radar.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

I'm using the H&R sport on my 2016 F36 435ix with M adaptive suspension. No problem at all. Ride very well in all modes. Slightly stiffer (+1-2 clicks) but no where near Bilstein or KW coilovers sportiness (+4-7 clicks) than oem (3-4 out of 12). This is for my daily so perfect to lower the gap slightly. Only complaint that they don't drop a little more, like another 0.5". Alignment settings were no problem as well. Go for it! Best value before coilovers with EDC delete.

I don't believe to pay extra for the Dinan shock ware when you could just press the button to sport and switch to control the chassis only.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikli View Post
I'm using the H&R sport on my 2016 F36 435ix with M adaptive suspension. No problem at all. Ride very well in all modes. Slightly stiffer (+1-2 clicks) but no where near Bilstein or KW coilovers sportiness (+4-7 clicks) than oem (3-4 out of 12). This is for my daily so perfect to lower the gap slightly. Only complaint that they don't drop a little more, like another 0.5". Alignment settings were no problem as well. Go for it! Best value before coilovers with EDC delete.

I don't believe to pay extra for the Dinan shock ware when you could just press the button to sport and switch to control the chassis only.
Hey Guys, I have. 2015 428i with M Adaptive Suspension, how would you know if it was performing to specs, or performing at all? Is there a way of testing this?

I know when I move from Comfort to Sport Mode, the Springs do get tighter, and the car definitely is more stiff and responsive.

But just wondering how smooth of a ride it is supposed to give?

Also, noticed that I have to keep my tires (runflats) inflated to their highest spec (5 passengers and luggage PSI) in order for me to get the most compliant ride. Otherwise I get a really "bouncy" type of ride.

I just finished watching a BMW Promo Video for the M adaptive suspension where a car is going over some large bumps quickly but inside a cup of hot liquid stays fairly still, is this indicative to your experiences?
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post

I know when I move from Comfort to Sport Mode, the Springs do get tighter, and the car definitely is more stiff and responsive.

But just wondering how smooth of a ride it is supposed to give?
The settings are only adjusting the dampers, not the springs. In Sport Mode, a bump in the road will cause the wheel to be returned to the road quicker. Therefore it feels firmer when you drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

i have my eyes on Dinan springs plus shockware and the KW DDC coilovers. I don't think either are out for the 340xi yet. KW DDCs are in some ways the ultimate setup as you can still adjust the dampers via your adaptive controls, plus they are height adjustable. But they are pricey. Dinan is adaptive but fixed height. Also pricey when install is included, though you do get a warranty in theory at least.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #7
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

From a cosmetic standpoint, I'm curious to see how much the Dinan springs drop a 340 xDrive compared to H&R.
      04-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #8
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post

The only BMW authorized mod service centre offers Dinan and their Sr tech insisted that 0.75" for the xDrive is the best and most desired drop. Anything more is a headache for the axle- so he said. Personally I do not know.

Aside that, would probably wait to break in the car.

Question, how does your car feel vs a 335i xDrive with Adaptive M?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 02:14 AM   #9
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
The only BMW authorized mod service centre offers Dinan and their Sr tech insisted that 0.75" for the xDrive is the best and most desired drop. Anything more is a headache for the axle- so he said. Personally I do not know.
Dinan's website for all their springs for the 4-series show as 3/4" (front) to 1" (rear), so I'd say that's correct:
http://www.dinancars.com/product/d10...4-Series&mid=/
      04-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #10
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

Looks like dinan finally came out with lowering springs. The page says its for RWD but under the specs it says it's also for Xdrive
Appreciate 0