BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Introduction + HELP! 1 week to decide on color choice

01-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M2

Introduction + HELP! 1 week to decide on color choice

Total newb first post, so sorry for choosing a topic that has been beaten to death already. I am #11 at my dealer and I just got an email telling me I have about a week to place my order.

Current ride is a satin white pearl 2013 BRZ, it's been a great car, but it's time to grow up and get something with real POWA. Plus, i'm turning 30, my brz is now almost 4 years old and will never pass smog in it's current state... time to jump ship!

I LOVE WHITE CARS, especially white cars with depth like the pic attached... Alpine white was my first choice for the BMW however after looking at it 100 times in person on m4's and such... I don't think this white will do it for me. which leaves me with Long Beach Blue Metallic or Mineral Grey Metallic (can't do black!). Why couldn't BMW go with Mineral White I plan on having this car for a long time, and I'm making a big deal out of this because this will probably be my last cool car before I have kids... gotta make it count

Current order is as follows
Alpine White M2
DCT
Exec Package
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmav23 View Post
Total newb first post, so sorry for choosing a topic that has been beaten to death already. I am #11 at my dealer and I just got an email telling me I have about a week to place my order.

Current ride is a satin white pearl 2013 BRZ, it's been a great car, but it's time to grow up and get something with real POWA. Plus, i'm turning 30, my brz is now almost 4 years old and will never pass smog in it's current state... time to jump ship!

I LOVE WHITE CARS, especially white cars with depth like the pic attached... Alpine white was my first choice for the BMW however after looking at it 100 times in person on m4's and such... I don't think this white will do it for me. which leaves me with Long Beach Blue Metallic or Mineral Grey Metallic (can't do black!). Why couldn't BMW go with Mineral White I plan on having this car for a long time, and I'm making a big deal out of this because this will probably be my last cool car before I have kids... gotta make it count

Current order is as follows
Alpine White M2
DCT
Exec Package
No manual at your age???

Why do you possibly need to place order when you are #11 ? Most dealers at this point will only have 1 or 2 allocations?
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
No manual at your age???

Why do you possibly need to place order when you are #11 ? Most dealers at this point will only have 1 or 2 allocations?
Not sure why there is a rush and but the reality is that I'm going to have to make this decision anyways. My BRZ is a manual but after test driving a few DCT's I actually really like it, I don't feel like I'm going to miss my manual. Also, wife would be able to partake if I got the DCT, not the deciding factor but it's a plus.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

i thought it was a typo lol ...and you were #1.

Dealer just wants to 'lock you in'
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
No manual at your age???

Could be marked up and people are passing on the allocation, so dealer is working their way down the list.

Remember that OP is in Cali...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

You mentioned you want to keep the M2 for a very long time. If so get the manual. Out of warranty DCT are very expensive to fix. Most indy shops will not work on them and dealers do not either as they just want to replace the entire transmission as a whole unit!

Good luck on your color decision. I am having a hard time between LBB and AW.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure why there is a rush and but the reality is that I'm going to have to make this decision anyways. My BRZ is a manual but after test driving a few DCT's I actually really like it, I don't feel like I'm going to miss my manual. Also, wife would be able to partake if I got the DCT, not the deciding factor but it's a plus.
If you don't mind, which dealer are you working with?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

The reason I went with MG is because I couldn't live long term with LBB. It's a cool color for a few but I'd grow tired of it. It's also a loud color. MG will hide imperfections well and you can make it as aggressive or low key as you want with your mods. Good luck with the color choice though!

BTW, congrats. I'm coming to the M2 from an 06 Crystal Gray STi. I felt like it was time to grow up and get some niceties. The STi has been a great car but I'm growing soft in my old age and want a more plush interior.

p.s. get the manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Mineral white is gross. I love Alpine white, my F80 is Alpine but honestly I think it looks bad on the M2. Dark colors look better, grey or LBB. Also I highly doubt you're getting a car anytime soon and need to lock down an order if you're #11.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #10
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I love how the guy asks about colors but the manual fans can't help but try to convert the thread to a manual versus DCT conversation. Manuals are the only way to go yada yada blah blah. Can't understand why McLaren, Ferrari and all of those dummies in Formula One haven't figured out manuals are the only correct transmission.

Back to the color conversation. For me the LBB is the only color that shows the contours of the car so that is my choice. Having said that I think there will be a lot of LBB cars
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #11
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
i thought it was a typo lol ...and you were #1.

Dealer just wants to 'lock you in'
I wish it was a typo lol, and you're probably right about locking me in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHRAR View Post
Could be marked up and people are passing on the allocation, so dealer is working their way down the list.

Remember that OP is in Cali...
I have an email out to the sales person, just waiting on a response. Given that I am #11, I agree it doesn't add up. Also, promised MSRP which I am happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
You mentioned you want to keep the M2 for a very long time. If so get the manual. Out of warranty DCT are very expensive to fix. Most indy shops will not work on them and dealers do not either as they just want to replace the entire transmission as a whole unit!

Good luck on your color decision. I am having a hard time between LBB and AW.
Solid advice on the dct vs manual. hmmmm I knew joining a forum like this would only make this stuff more complicated lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
If you don't mind, which dealer are you working with?
Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo California, promised me straight MSRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I love how the guy asks about colors but the manual fans can't help but try to convert the thread to a manual versus DCT conversation. Manuals are the only way to go yada yada blah blah. Can't understand why McLaren, Ferrari and all of those dummies in Formula One haven't figured out manuals are the only correct transmission.

Back to the color conversation. For me the LBB is the only color that shows the contours of the car so that is my choice. Having said that I think there will be a lot of LBB cars
I had a feeling I was walking into thread jack when I disclosed my DCT preference! It's all good. And yeessss the contours on LBB, that's what has attracted me to that color

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
The reason I went with MG is because I couldn't live long term with LBB. It's a cool color for a few but I'd grow tired of it. It's also a loud color. MG will hide imperfections well and you can make it as aggressive or low key as you want with your mods. Good luck with the color choice though!

BTW, congrats. I'm coming to the M2 from an 06 Crystal Gray STi. I felt like it was time to grow up and get some niceties. The STi has been a great car but I'm growing soft in my old age and want a more plush interior.

p.s. get the manual.
Congrats to you too! The Subaru community has been good to me, 10 years on that STi, I just hope the young punks who buy our cars don't crash em too fast lol. Also, very good points about the longevity of LBB... I didn't think about it that way.

Thank you for the tips/advice fellow future M2 peeps. I guess the solution to all of this is I spend another weekend walking around the lot looking at various colors in direct sunlight, in the shade, test drive a manual m4, and come up with more things to be uncertain of... big picture these are all good problems to have

-Ryan
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #12
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

I would try to go to a dealer and look at a LBB x6m in person if you can ...I was all on the LBB bandwagon until I saw it at the auto show yesterday here in DC. Something about it doesn't do it for me, not as aggressive in person with the non mperformance items . I'm actually leaning MG or AW (in that order) for my order
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #13
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Have the wife learn on the BRZ before the M2 comes in. Hotness factor x 1000 = women who drive stick.

AW is a great color. More LBB for me....

....on the East coast.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #14
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

OP, I think you have about 52 weeks to decide. No need to put pressure on yourself.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #15
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
OP, I think you have about 52 weeks to decide. No need to put pressure on yourself.
LOL

Appreciate 0