F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Opinions on BC racing coils
GetBMWParts

01-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
Joe_E
Captain
Rep
Drives: FBO 328i

Opinions on BC racing coils

As the title says, what do you guys think about the coils?
      01-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i; Looking for F80

What's your goal? Just slam the car? They'll be fine for that. Are you going to drive the car daily, and want to maintain a decent ride quality? If so, I'd go for something like KW V1. There are thousands and thousands of reviews for BCs out there, this is like the most popular budget coil in the world.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
Joe_E
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEZV
What's your goal? Just slam the car? They'll be fine for that. Are you going to drive the car daily, and want to maintain a decent ride quality? If so, I'd go for something like KW V1. There are thousands and thousands of reviews for these out there, this is like the most popular budget coil in the world.
I want to lower it to get rid of the wheel gap and also daily it yes. And canyons on occasion? Would they be bad for canyon runs?
      01-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hmmmm German built car and Chinese cloned suspension, sounds like a great match.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
docjavier
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 F10 535i

don't hate, I have a set, got them at a super price, so I decided to give them a try, Easy installation, good adjustability, smooth and tighter ride. I am very please with them. Past coils on diff cars (KW V3 Posrche cayman S, GC Koni yellow double adj on M3 x2, Stasis race on S4) and for the price of the BC coils are a great mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

love mine .. for the price, its exactly the feature set i need, and no more. i don't track, so don't need super high end coils. the car is my dd. i just wanted car lowered and have adjustable damper controls. i like to ride pretty stiff and corner like a go-cart as i drive pretty spirited. plus i'm lowered to about 2 inches so i can't afford a lot of bounce

the rear is harder to height adjust than front, as you have to loosen some control arm nuts/bolts to adjust ride height, then set the spring pre-load again - you don't have to do that for the fronts, so way easier. the only other thing i wish that were available are the remote damper extensions that allow setting it from the trunk. but they didn't make them for the F30 coilover when i purchased/installed mine. so i have to jack up the car and take off the wheels to adjust mine. some people say they can do it with wheels on, but i don't know how.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #7
Joe_E
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
love mine .. for the price, its exactly the feature set i need, and no more. i don't track, so don't need super high end coils. the car is my dd. i just wanted car lowered and have adjustable damper controls. i like to ride pretty stiff and corner like a go-cart as i drive pretty spirited. plus i'm lowered to about 2 inches so i can't afford a lot of bounce

the rear is harder to height adjust than front, as you have to loosen some control arm nuts/bolts to adjust ride height, then set the spring pre-load again - you don't have to do that for the fronts, so way easier. the only other thing i wish that were available are the remote damper extensions that allow setting it from the trunk. but they didn't make them for the F30 coilover when i purchased/installed mine. so i have to jack up the car and take off the wheels to adjust mine. some people say they can do it with wheels on, but i don't know how.
Thanks for the response, love the look of your car, what wheels and tires are you running?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 10:40 PM   #8
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

thanks man

I have BBS LM reps (ESM-004 gunmetal) and Hankook tires

F: 19x8.5 +23 (effective w/ 12mm spacer) 235/35/19
R: 19x9.5 +35 (effective w/ 5mm spacer) 275/30/19

no fender-to-tire rub or scrapes, but drive-way angles and large speed bumps will scrape my lip occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #9
Joe_E
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
thanks man

I have BBS LM reps (ESM-004 gunmetal) and Hankook tires

F: 19x8.5 +23 (effective w/ 12mm spacer) 235/35/19
R: 19x9.5 +35 (effective w/ 5mm spacer) 275/30/19

no fender-to-tire rub or scrapes, but drive-way angles and large speed bumps will scrape my lip occasionally.
I can pull up a chair and sit down and stare at your car forever, really really nice! Does it ever rub if you have 3 other friends in the car?
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2016, 11:31 PM   #10
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

lol ... i've only had 5 people in the car one time, and there was no rub that i could feel or hear.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 12:08 AM   #11
AZNnite
Private
Rep
Drives: FD 335I

Don't have much experience with them on the bimmer. But recently coming from the g37 side, many forum members there complained of clunking sounds coming from the rear. Other than that, ride quality was OK at best.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #12
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep

If you're on a budget, I would go for the ST v1. They will ride a million times better. Or the Bilstein PSS. They only thing you will be missing is ability to adjust damping, which I doubt you will use anyway.

Have you ever ridden in a car with BCs? They ride terribly, at least in Subaru and Mazda applications I've been in. You can upgrade to Swift Springs, but that's another $300+, and you might as well go with KW v1 at that point.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #13
Camnyc
wannabe
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEZV View Post
If you're on a budget, I would go for the ST v1. They will ride a million times better. Or the Bilstein PSS. They only thing you will be missing is ability to adjust damping, which I doubt you will use anyway.

Have you ever ridden in a car with BCs? They ride terribly, at least in Subaru and Mazda applications I've been in. You can upgrade to Swift Springs, but that's another $300+, and you might as well go with KW v1 at that point.

Guys, Please stop spreading misinformation.

Bc BR ride great, they come in at a very affordable price point are infinitely adjustable and the customer service from the company is top notch.

Ive had kw/h&r/bilstein on other cars and had decent results. I went with the bc br on my f30 and I didnt look back. I even ordered a custom setup for my new F80.

The key to achieving a great ride on them is in the preload, follow their instructions and youre set. I personally suggest 6mm preload up front and 8mm out back.

Best of luck to you, and to the gentleman who suggested kw v1/st xsa, please refrain from doing so, those coils ride/handle poorly on anything you can put them on.
      02-11-2016, 12:20 AM   #14
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep

meh

Last edited by theEZV; 02-11-2016 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #15
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

So much fail in this thread...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #16
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep

LOL it's the internet man! Hard to find 2 people that agree on something.

I had BC on my Mazdaspeed Protege back in the day and they rode terribly. Had KW V1 on my WRX I just sold and it was much better. But then again we have some of the worst roads known to man around here, so I suppose that's to be expected. I just can't recommend BC to anyone based on personal experience, no offense or disrespect intended.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #17
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 520i (Stock)

You cant give a bc coil review from ages ago and say that todays bc coils are horrid. Need a person who actually rode their f30, f32, etc with todays bc br's and kw's
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #18
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camnyc
Quote:

Guys, Please stop spreading misinformation.

Bc BR ride great, they come in at a very affordable price point are infinitely adjustable and the customer service from the company is top notch.

Ive had kw/h&r/bilstein on other cars and had decent results. I went with the bc br on my f30 and I didnt look back. I even ordered a custom setup for my new F80.

The key to achieving a great ride on them is in the preload, follow their instructions and youre set. I personally suggest 6mm preload up front and 8mm out back.

Best of luck to you, and to the gentleman who suggested kw v1/st xsa, please refrain from doing so, those coils ride/handle poorly on anything you can put them on.
Lol, no. BC's are passable for a lot of things, but they're not great coilovers.

With coilovers, the old saying "you get what you pay for" is very, very true.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #19
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had BC on my Mazdaspeed Protege back in the day and they rode terribly
I think I've identified the real issue

Seriously, though... can you guys define "rode terribly" or "they will ride a million times better" or "they're not great coilovers"? There's no data in that. Please provide data.

There are so many other factors that determine your ride quality, you'd have to bring all that to the table to make it an apples to apples comparison. This is especially true when you bring other types of cars into the equation

With my BC's I can dial in my ride to float like a boat. Or (as I have chosen), I can make it as stiff as a go-cart. Its got 31-clicks of range in the damper control for everything in between. Since i'm lowered almost to the ground, I can't afford a lot of bounce, so I intentionally dial it in stiff. I like it that way. I guarantee I can dial it in to make it "feel" like your KW's and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm at like 26/31. I'd like you to set your BCs to 4/31 and come back and tell me how it rides

Try do that on your kW v1's - oh wait.. you have no damper controls at all on those coils .. ooops sorry I forgot Wait.. what? get the v3's instead? oh right, for $2k more. I can upgrade my entire sound system in my F30 with BSW S-1's including putting in a JL Audio 1000w amp and also get dual 15" JL Audio trunk subs with an extra 1000watt mono amp for that price differential.

Bring the data baby... not just the emotions

Last edited by squidlyboy; 02-12-2016 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #20
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy
Quote:
I had BC on my Mazdaspeed Protege back in the day and they rode terribly
I think I've identified the real issue

Seriously, though... can you guys define "rode terribly" or "they will ride a million times better" or "they're not great coilovers"? There's no data in that. Please provide data.

There are so many other factors that determine your ride quality, you'd have to bring all that to the table to make it an apples to apples comparison. This is especially true when you bring other types of cars into the equation

With my BC's I can dial in my ride to float like a boat. Or (as I have chosen), I can make it as stiff as a go-cart. Its got 31-clicks of range in the damper control for everything in between. Since i'm lowered almost to the ground, I can't afford a lot of bounce, so I intentionally dial it in stiff. I like it that way. I guarantee I can dial it in to make it "feel" like your KW's and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm at like 26/31. I'd like you to set your BCs to 4/31 and come back and tell me how it rides

Try do that on your kW v1's - oh wait.. you have no damper controls at all on those coils .. ooops sorry I forgot Wait.. what? get the v3's instead? oh right, for $2k more. I can upgrade my entire sound system in my F30 with BSW S-1's including putting in a JL Audio 1000w amp and also get dual 15" JL Audio trunk subs with an extra 1000watt mono amp for that price differential.

Bring the data baby... not just the emotions
31 clicks of damper adjustability. Lol. Okay, have fun with all those clicks especially when there's maybe 5-7 actual useable clicks within that range.

As I said, they're passable coilovers if all you want to do is lower your car. Other than that, you're way better off sticking with OEM.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #21
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
31 clicks of damper adjustability. Lol. Okay, have fun with all those clicks especially when there's maybe 5-7 actual useable clicks within that range.

As I said, they're passable coilovers if all you want to do is lower your car. Other than that, you're way better off sticking with OEM.
Too bad v1's have ZERO damper control

Like I said.. bring data as to which coils are better and why... all I hear is more worthless emotion.

Data, data, data
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #22
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post

Too bad v1's have ZERO damper control

Like I said.. bring data as to which coils are better and why... all I hear is more worthless emotion.

Data, data, data
I'm not doing your homework for you, but Google "BC coilovers track use". You've already made your mind up about these because you need to justify your purchase (which is totally fine, I've been there myself), but there are many shock dynos out there for your review, and numerous reviews from people who have used them on the track.

These coilovers have very little bump travel (you get what you pay for), there's usually way too much bump and not enough rebound damping, the L and R dampers are usually mismatched, and the quality of materials is sub-par. The bump and rebound adjustability is way less than advertised (30 clicks makes me laugh). I'm also guessing your front and rear dampers were the same, aside from body length? Really?? Nothing like cost cutting. Can you tell I had a great experience with them in the past?

Are they even rebuildable, or do they still just send you a whole new shock when one goes? Must be an expensive shock for them to do that lol.

Anyway, I'm not going to keep hacking on them. They're only good for lowering your car for street use, but will be a shitty ride compared to higher quality coilovers or OEM setups. They'll also be slower around a track, which is really the intended use of coilovers anyway, right?
Appreciate 0