BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Just Snagged a Launch Car

01-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Smile Just Snagged a Launch Car

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a while. This forum has been immensely helpful over the last month as I settled on the M2 as my next car.

I just snagged a LBB, exec, DCT launch car!

I initially worked with a few dealers that had wait lists. It was very frustrating and information was contradictory. Today I did an 8 dealership call campaign and learned a ton. Expected allocations are similar in medium-sized mid/southwestern cities (~3) and small mid/southwestern cities (~1). Many have commensurate wait lists, however, some are 6-9 deep. Some dealers have no idea what is going on but when they look in their order systems they have a launch car. (!) Texas folks, go between Lubbock and El Paso -- as of today, there's a launch car available and no wait list.

In the 10 dealerships I've talked to I've found that wait list lengths and deposit policies vary widely. However, every dealer I called, including one in Connecticut, planned to charge MSRP. My purchase is for MSRP.

I really, really appreciate the community and information here. Knowing pricing details going into what would have otherwise been a blind negotiation was huge. Understanding that all M's are on allocation -- since I initially considered ED -- was important. All the ED details are amazing. Getting the word out about the forthcoming MY2017 warranty change was a tremendous insight.

Thanks, all!

Justin

Last edited by Kantalias; 01-29-2016 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: LLB -> LBB
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #2
Jady Pham
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F87 M2

congrats buddy!

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, I will be making videos on the M2
Instagram: Tuphamous
Youtube: The Anatomy of Cars
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks, Jady! I'm so freaking excited...I'm going to be counting days as soon as I know it's on a boat -- production is finished and it's in QC.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 10:56 PM   #4
Jady Pham
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F87 M2

Man I feel yah, I'm currently #4 on a list but i really want my car this summer. I'm still trying to see if I can get a hold of any AW/DCT launch car.

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, I will be making videos on the M2
Instagram: Tuphamous
Youtube: The Anatomy of Cars
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 12:00 AM   #5
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jady Pham View Post
Man I feel yah, I'm currently #4 on a list but i really want my car this summer. I'm still trying to see if I can get a hold of any AW/DCT launch car.
Start looking for small towns hea cars. When I was doing mine there were crazy places getting one. Like Idaho falls. You should be able to find one in ur set up
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:33 AM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantalias
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for a while. This forum has been immensely helpful over the last month as I settled on the M2 as my next car.

I just snagged a LBB, exec, DCT launch car!

I initially worked with a few dealers that had wait lists. It was very frustrating and information was contradictory. Today I did an 8 dealership call campaign and learned a ton. Expected allocations are similar in medium-sized mid/southwestern cities (~3) and small mid/southwestern cities (~1). Many have commensurate wait lists, however, some are 6-9 deep. Some dealers have no idea what is going on but when they look in their order systems they have a launch car. (!) Texas folks, go between Lubbock and El Paso -- as of today, there's a launch car available and no wait list.

In the 10 dealerships I've talked to I've found that wait list lengths and deposit policies vary widely. However, every dealer I called, including one in Connecticut, planned to charge MSRP. My purchase is for MSRP.

I really, really appreciate the community and information here. Knowing pricing details going into what would have otherwise been a blind negotiation was huge. Understanding that all M's are on allocation -- since I initially considered ED -- was important. All the ED details are amazing. Getting the word out about the forthcoming MY2017 warranty change was a tremendous insight.

Thanks, all!

Justin
Congratulations! I've definitely been telling people to call rural areas and smaller mid size cities.

It may take some legwork to get an allocation , but there are some to be found.

Every dealer is guaranteed one car and some of them probably don't event want it and know nothing about it !
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 05:09 AM   #7
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Congratulations! And thanks for the foot work.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #8
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for kind words, folks!

In addition to the launch vehicle I got, the dealer where I'm buying claims to have an allocation of three. Only 2 have been secured. One drag with these guys for a #3 allocation spot -- they want 10% down. No biggie for me with the car I'm getting having already finished production, but might be a downer for someone waiting until summer to get a car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantalias View Post
Understanding that all M's are on allocation -- since I initially considered ED -- was important. All the ED details are amazing.
Can you explain what you mean by this? I want to do ED but I'm not sure how wait lists will be affecting the ED option.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #10
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
Can you explain what you mean by this? I want to do ED but I'm not sure how wait lists will be affecting the ED option.
The ED option is only exercised after a car is allocated. Because of the lower ED MSRP I think dealers are uncompelled by ED M2 buyers at this point. Others on this forum are making similar comments. Since I ended up not doing ED I can't really say anything about prioritization from dealers with certainty, but I do think I got a lower spot on wait lists by mentioning ED. So, when I had the launch car option, I gave up on ED.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #11
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantalias View Post
The ED option is only exercised after a car is allocated. Because of the lower ED MSRP I think dealers are uncompelled by ED M2 buyers at this point. Others on this forum are making similar comments. Since I ended up not doing ED I can't really say anything about prioritization from dealers with certainty, but I do think I got a lower spot on wait lists by mentioning ED. So, when I had the launch car option, I gave up on ED.
So I'll just have to pay full MSRP with ED to get it this year. Balls.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
So I'll just have to pay full MSRP with ED to get it this year. Balls.
Don't get in a swivet, yet. It's all up to the dealer.
Keep this in mind, the dealer profit ends up the same regardless of whether you take delivery at Munich or in the showroom. That's because, he gets reimbursed by BMW for the 5% ED discount. So, if he charges you MSRP for ED, then he's actually charging you MSRP + the ED reimbursement which he eventually gets from BMW.
Stay on the dealer about it.
Good luck with it.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #13
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This makes sense, fuddman. The key would be to get a dealer to realize they get what they want either way. Client advisors have no clue, so speaking to the sales manager is probably the quickest path to success. Somehow dealers think ED is complex or a disadvantage.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
Shankska
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Congrats! Jumped on it at the right time. Good thing 2 days before the wife did not let that guy put down his deposit! LOL

2019 F87 M2C, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6MT
2016 F87 M2 - Sold 9/2018
2014 F22 M235i - Sold 5/2016.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #15
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankska View Post
Congrats! Jumped on it at the right time. Good thing 2 days before the wife did not let that guy put down his deposit! LOL
My wife is amazing -- she just went for it!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #16
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Production status updated to 190!

Dealer says I should expect it to be held at port of exit or the processing center for a bit to ensure all cars hit the dealers at roughly the same time. It hasn't even been a week yet and I'm chomping at the bit to get into my M2. Maybe I should pick up yoga or meditation or something...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 02:37 AM   #17
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Congrats, I am on the list with 4 dealers now. The dealer I had an agreement with back in October turned out to be pretty sleezy. I have thought about making a bunch of calls to track down a launch car but I think I will stick it out and just wait to see how things develop over the next couple of months. My state only has 4 dealerships so not a lot of options.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #18
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Congrats, I am on the list with 4 dealers now. The dealer I had an agreement with back in October turned out to be pretty sleezy. I have thought about making a bunch of calls to track down a launch car but I think I will stick it out and just wait to see how things develop over the next couple of months. My state only has 4 dealerships so not a lot of options.
Good strategy. People that have to get it first opting for HEA cars are all into it now but for the rest of us not in a hurry, get on a list now and have patience. You'll get your M2!
Appreciate 0