E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > At my wits end with this damn car! (idle issues, missfires etc)

01-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #1
skyhi33
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

At my wits end with this damn car! (idle issues, missfires etc)

Hi guys,

I have been refraining from posting anything in hope I could find some information somewhere but in the last 3 months I havent come up with anything and the situation is getting worse by the day!

Bit of background info:

06 335i 6sp m
jb4 iso5 board
exhaust
intake

All started with a simple missfire quite some time ago, at the time my LPFP went out the window. That was replaced with a brand new oem part, missfire still there.

Tech advised fuel filter/regulator assy, that got replaced. Missfire still there.

Started throwing cyl5 missfire codes, advised to replace coils, bought 6 brand new ones and spark plugs to go with it. Missfire on cyl 5 still there after 2k rpm. Would cause CEL light and reduced power.

Anyways, long story short i lost my patience, opened her up myself to find cyl 5 injector was missing the seal causing all sorts of missfires etc.

Ordered 6 brand new injectors (-12) installed and coded myself. Car ran great for about 2 weeks, no missfires, no codes etc...

Anyways, 2 weeks later jumped in to start the car one morning and low and behold, roughest idle on cold start, couldnt settle, throws engine code 29DC and 29F2. Cel light, reduced power. Turn on/off and its fine.

This happens with every cold start, it just doesnt want to idle, light comes on, and all the cooling fans kick in. Sounds like a jet taking off.

Anyways, this has been happening for a little while, and has started cutting out power while driving, it feels like its not getting enough fuel as soon as it starts making boost and the light goes back on.

Looking through jb4 on cold start LPFP is at 60-70, hpfp is at 11 down to about 4 or 5 once idle settles.

I have also replaced LP fuel sensor and cleaned my Vanos solenoids, I have since thought maybe the injectors are leaking or fouling or something else, swapped them around the cylinders and re-coded to no avail.

The codes remain consistently the same 29dc, 29f2, sometimes 29f1 and just recently got 30ff code too.

Basically so far:
New LPFP
New Coil Packs
New spark plugs
New injectors
New fuel filter/regulator assy
New low fuel pressure sensor
New battery about a week ago too (old one was 5yrs old)

Cleaned vanos, checked for vacuum leaks, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

I am at my wits end with this damn car and its problems. Any suggestions? Any input? Any solutions?

The idle issue is getting worse and worse, it fires up at the push of the button but it sounds like its not getting enough fuel or way too much and is just choking. Quick jabs of the throttle help it somewhat recover but lately it just keeps choking for a while. Have to turn the car on and off a few times for it to start idling fine. Also worth mentioning it idles around 650rpm then sometimes it will kick up to around 800 and stay there. Also not sure if related, last night i took it to the car wash, on the way it showed "complete electrical system failure" 6 times, the gauges would drop off for a split second, warning would come up then go away... Im so done with this car.

Help a brother out!!

Kind regards, a man in desperate need.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
Kevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Alpine White 6MT

bad dme?
      01-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep
Drives: Fbo blacked e92

o2 sensors? dirty tmap? idk sucks dude
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
JDuke335i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i , Alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhi33
Hi guys,

I have been refraining from posting anything in hope I could find some information somewhere but in the last 3 months I havent come up with anything and the situation is getting worse by the day!

Bit of background info:

06 335i 6sp m
jb4 iso5 board
exhaust
intake

All started with a simple missfire quite some time ago, at the time my LPFP went out the window. That was replaced with a brand new oem part, missfire still there.

Tech advised fuel filter/regulator assy, that got replaced. Missfire still there.

Started throwing cyl5 missfire codes, advised to replace coils, bought 6 brand new ones and spark plugs to go with it. Missfire on cyl 5 still there after 2k rpm. Would cause CEL light and reduced power.

Anyways, long story short i lost my patience, opened her up myself to find cyl 5 injector was missing the seal causing all sorts of missfires etc.

Ordered 6 brand new injectors (-12) installed and coded myself. Car ran great for about 2 weeks, no missfires, no codes etc...

Anyways, 2 weeks later jumped in to start the car one morning and low and behold, roughest idle on cold start, couldnt settle, throws engine code 29DC and 29F2. Cel light, reduced power. Turn on/off and its fine.

This happens with every cold start, it just doesnt want to idle, light comes on, and all the cooling fans kick in. Sounds like a jet taking off.

Anyways, this has been happening for a little while, and has started cutting out power while driving, it feels like its not getting enough fuel as soon as it starts making boost and the light goes back on.

Looking through jb4 on cold start LPFP is at 60-70, hpfp is at 11 down to about 4 or 5 once idle settles.

I have also replaced LP fuel sensor and cleaned my Vanos solenoids, I have since thought maybe the injectors are leaking or fouling or something else, swapped them around the cylinders and re-coded to no avail.

The codes remain consistently the same 29dc, 29f2, sometimes 29f1 and just recently got 30ff code too.

Basically so far:
New LPFP
New Coil Packs
New spark plugs
New injectors
New fuel filter/regulator assy
New low fuel pressure sensor
New battery about a week ago too (old one was 5yrs old)

Cleaned vanos, checked for vacuum leaks, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

I am at my wits end with this damn car and its problems. Any suggestions? Any input? Any solutions?

The idle issue is getting worse and worse, it fires up at the push of the button but it sounds like its not getting enough fuel or way too much and is just choking. Quick jabs of the throttle help it somewhat recover but lately it just keeps choking for a while. Have to turn the car on and off a few times for it to start idling fine. Also worth mentioning it idles around 650rpm then sometimes it will kick up to around 800 and stay there. Also not sure if related, last night i took it to the car wash, on the way it showed "complete electrical system failure" 6 times, the gauges would drop off for a split second, warning would come up then go away... Im so done with this car.

Help a brother out!!

Kind regards, a man in desperate need.
Have you made a log going WoT ?
What map r you in ?
      01-30-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Flex68
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Have you removed the jb4 ???
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 11:46 PM   #6
skyhi33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinl View Post
bad dme?
possibility but wouldnt that affect it 100%of the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_power4ever View Post
o2 sensors? dirty tmap? idk sucks dude
Have cleaned up the tmap, have had a lot of oil in the intake RB valve fixed that but made no difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuke335i View Post
Have you made a log going WoT ?
What map r you in ?
have tried multiple times, problem is it cuts out pretty early on and my logs are useless. It does it in any map, even with no jb4 installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
Have you removed the jb4 ???
yes sir! have removed, run stock and re installed, makes no difference
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 02:16 AM   #7
ihernandez7910
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i 6 spd MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 335  [0.00]
Throttle body? ..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 02:35 AM   #8
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Might be worth logging data during a cold start, might she'd some light.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:00 AM   #9
skyhi33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihernandez7910 View Post
Throttle body? ..
Have also pulled apart and cleaned/inspected... visually cant really fault it no obvious codes popping up to indicate TB faults afaik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
Might be worth logging data during a cold start, might she'd some light.
One thing I havent gotten my head around? How do I data log on idle? I know it can do it on WOT but I cant seem to get anyhting out of it when idling? I tried setting 5sec intervals and playing around with it but nothing has worked. I get a blank excel file?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:20 AM   #10
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

what mileage are you on? had a walnut blast done before?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 06:28 AM   #11
skyhi33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
what mileage are you on? had a walnut blast done before?
135k kms

Not while ive had it, Ive had the intake manifold off, looks pretty bad. Was on my to do list before I started getting complete electrical failures...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 06:29 AM   #12
Flex68
Captain
Rep

Have you gone over checked coil connections and spark plug are correct as in removed them to see condition etc
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Complete electrical failure? Have you checked your alternator output? A low system voltage will cause the car to not run properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 08:06 AM   #14
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

When you say injector was missing the seal - how long was it missing for? I've read in here that this could end up bore the hole it goes into over time of the seal was missing or improperly installed.
      01-31-2016, 01:23 PM   #15
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

i know u said u already cleaned the tmap and maf sensors but id like to share mine. lol is this normal?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #16
whosdady
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Don't worry about the 30off code. (Unless you think you have a bad boost leak.) Without looking at the codes and just hearing the symptoms, I would have thought hpfp. When mine went out my car would misfire and threw up several unrelated codes.

Take the jb4 off and drive around. It could be a bad connection somewhere. My other thought is the part you found missing.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 03:05 PM   #17
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Reset adaptations and monitor fuel trims at idle.
      01-31-2016, 04:36 PM   #18
Flex68
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i know u said u already cleaned the tmap and maf sensors but id like to share mine. lol is this normal?

Wtf ??? Looks like that's been dipped in 💩💩💩
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2016, 05:17 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Furthest thing from normal, clean it!

It's likely time for an intake walnut blasting too.

You can also reduce a lot of that blow by and potential build up with an Oil Catch Can.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 06:01 PM   #20
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Furthest thing from normal, clean it!

It's likely time for an intake walnut blasting too.

You can also reduce a lot of that blow by and potential build up with an Oil Catch Can.
yea i got an oil catch can. and rb pcv valve too. i checked the occ about a month ago after having it on for a year and there was alot of oil in it. o and i got my walnut blasting done 10k miles ago and now im finding walnut pieces everywhere. inside the cabin where the air filter covers, on my coil packs, all around my valve cover. and the guys told me they where gunna takr before and after pics but they "forgot" the after pics. lol 400$ i knew i shoulda done it myself. sorry to take thread off topic.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 01:43 AM   #21
skyhi33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
Have you gone over checked coil connections and spark plug are correct as in removed them to see condition etc
Yep, double checked coils and connections, spark plugs look normal, have moved spark plugs and coils around the cylinders, no difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Complete electrical failure? Have you checked your alternator output? A low system voltage will cause the car to not run properly.
Will note that, have not looked around the alternator, will check it out. The system failures happened on a longer drive 2 days ago, have not come back since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
When you say injector was missing the seal - how long was it missing for? I've read in here that this could end up bore the hole it goes into over time of the seal was missing or improperly installed.
Between my "tech" diagnosing it and me giving up on their repairs and replacing them myself, probably around 9 months but the car was barely driven at all, started once every month to keep the fluids moving. So not a very long time running. Have read all about injector port wear and have measured mine, seems all ok. Since the injectors were replaced ive had the cyl 5 injector out twice (done 3,000kms) and swapped around with another cylinder, the seals looked good, no signs of leaks or carbon build up in the port so fingers crossed its all good! I even packed it with lanolin cold and let it sit for a few hours, started it with no improvement on idle which would tell me its sealed either way. After it burned off I removed the injector and you can tell the lanolin didnt make it past the seal

Quote:

Definitely not, electrical contact cleaner. Pop off your intake and have a look in there for oil build up too, probably due for an intake cleaning job also. Thats quite bad haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosdady View Post
Don't worry about the 30off code. (Unless you think you have a bad boost leak.) Without looking at the codes and just hearing the symptoms, I would have thought hpfp. When mine went out my car would misfire and threw up several unrelated codes.

Take the jb4 off and drive around. It could be a bad connection somewhere. My other thought is the part you found missing.
Yeah i know 30ff can be a ghost code with JB4, ive checked my air lines as far as I can reach, havent been under the car yet as waiting on access at a shop so i can examine wastegate lines etc but all looks ok. Boost gauge is showing 20/21 so all is normal although that doesnt necessarily mean the wastegate actuators are ok too, thats also on the list!

Jb4 in or out makes no difference unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gilles View Post
Reset adaptations and monitor fuel trims at idle.
Have reset adaptations, makes the initial idle even worse, smoother to drive for a few hundered kms but codes keep coming up. What do you mean by monitor fuel trims? Where do i find this (sorry i know a bit about jb4 and parameters but not sure how to monitor fuel trims?)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:42 AM   #22
Flex68
Captain
Rep

Checked earthing ??? When earthing is poor runs like ass
Appreciate 0