BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Improving front bumper aesthetics

01-31-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
trackjunkie15
Rep
Drives: E85 and F87

Improving front bumper aesthetics

I acknowledge it's a matter of taste regarding the appearance of the front bumper. For those of us who don't really like it, but don't feel like spending big money to replace it, I think there's a middle ground.

The front inlets have a honking large divider scoop/ protrusion in them that tends to be the worst eyesore ( for some.) I did a before & after mock-up, and I think wrapping it in black vinyl ( or paint) will reduce it's visual impact, see below: (note , also replaced front reflector with a clear/smoked version)

Name:  front34s.png
Views: 2649
Size:  2.36 MB

Seems like a good inexpensive improvement, can be done at same time as clear vinyl bumper protection.

what do you all think?

-trackjunkie
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Forum fellow Tuscan already did that Photoshop exercise:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=137

Personally I prefer the stock look.

01-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Leef the car as stock as possible IMO

Nothing beats the original....
Appreciate 1
termigni1081.00
      01-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #4
sth519
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i → M2 → i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackjunkie15 View Post
I acknowledge it's a matter of taste regarding the appearance of the front bumper. For those of us who don't really like it, but don't feel like spending big money to replace it, I think there's a middle ground.
Have you seen the car in real life or just on the photos?

I'm asking because the photos can fool you quite easily. The way the bumper design works is quite clever, actually. The fangs and intakes look much less pronounced in real life because when looking from the angle of a normal human being (not a camera at almost ground level, like on many of the pictures), you're mostly looking at the top part of the fangs and not straight into the front intakes.

I was a bit worried about the front bumber design as well but after seeing it in real life, I have to say that both the front and rear of the car look much nicer than I expected based on the photos. Also, those modifications may look okay in photoshop, but I can't imagine them looking good on the real car.
Attached Images

Last edited by sth519; 01-31-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackjunkie15 View Post

The front inlets have a honking large divider scoop/ protrusion in them that tends to be the worst eyesore ( for some.) I did a before & after mock-up, and I think wrapping it in black vinyl ( or paint) will reduce it's visual impact, see below: (note , also replaced front reflector with a clear/smoked version)

Attachment 1356585

Seems like a good inexpensive improvement, can be done at same time as clear vinyl bumper protection.

what do you all think?

-trackjunkie
Blacked out fangs look absolutely atrocious in my opinion. The bumper was designed with the fangs in mind.

Covering them up throws the entire design off, and it frankly looks hilarious without them.

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #6
///Jason
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i S-Drive M-Sport

Everyone has their own tastes but the front bumper 'fangs' are one of my favourite design details of the M2. In fact I much prefer their inverted orientation to the M3/4 and also they really help differentiate it from a m235i. They probably have some aerodynamic function too
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth519 View Post
Have you seen the car in real life or just on the photos?

I'm asking because the photos can fool you quite easily. The way the bumper design works is quite clever, actually. The fangs and intakes look much less pronounced in real life because when looking from the angle of a normal human being (not a camera at almost ground level, like on many of the pictures), you're mostly looking at the top part of the fangs and not straight into the front intakes.

I was a bit worried about the front bumber design as well but after seeing it in real life, I have to say that both the front and rear of the car look much nicer than I expected based on the photos. Also, those modifications may look okay in photoshop, but I can't imagine them looking good on the real car.
I agree. The fangs are very prominent, so if you don't like them to begin with they might bother you every time you walk out to the car. I don't mind them, but I'm still hoping that in person they aren't so pronounced, kind of like what we see in the photo in Adem1534's signature ... they sort of visually blend into the front of the car under most lighting conditions.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

I am in the "fang camp"...same color also. IMO it's a nice design touch from the other models in the line. Now I WISH they had a splitter to go across bottom like my current 2fer,...that adds a nice touch to the design. Maybe later someone will create one, and it will work.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
I am in the "fang camp"...same color also. IMO it's a nice design touch from the other models in the line. Now I WISH they had a splitter to go across bottom like my current 2fer,...that adds a nice touch to the design. Maybe later someone will create one, and it will work.
I called iND, they are going to make one

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

The last thing I would touch on the car is the front bumper, as it is my favorite part of the car. No way to covering anything up. Love those fangs!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 04:25 PM   #11
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

I actually think the bumper looks great as is. Now, a lip/splitter to round out the lower half, that'd be pretty cool.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #12
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Front bumper is perfect to me. I was worried it might be too aggressive and be like a Wings West body kit from the early 2000s but once I saw it in person, it's not that way at all. Pictures just don't do this car justice, you have to see it in person
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 07:47 PM   #13
fatumpsch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M2, 6MT, exec

Many people think the fangs sort of clash with the other lines of the car, especially from a 3/4 view. Also the fangs make the front look busy. They are an aggressive styling detail that may be too much for some people.

I am one of the people that think the fangs are a bit out of place and over the top. The fangs are one of the reasons I have ordered the car in black. I think black will make the fangs disappear a little against the black air intakes.

I am surprised this forum is so overwhelmingly pro-fang. I totally get why OP is trying to minimize the fangs visually. I'm right there with him. I'm hoping it will look better in person; but if not, I'd consider a matte black fang wrap. However, I think this fix would work best on a black car.
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00
      01-31-2016, 07:59 PM   #14
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatumpsch View Post
Many people think the fangs sort of clash with the other lines of the car, especially from a 3/4 view. Also the fangs make the front look busy. They are an aggressive styling detail that may be too much for some people.

I am one of the people that think the fangs are a bit out of place and over the top. The fangs are one of the reasons I have ordered the car in black. I think black will make the fangs disappear a little against the black air intakes.

I am surprised this forum is so overwhelmingly pro-fang. I totally get why OP is trying to minimize the fangs visually. I'm right there with him. I'm hoping it will look better in person; but if not, I'd consider a matte black fang wrap. However, I think this fix would work best on a black car.
Blacking them out looks so terrible, I just can't see it.

Soon.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #15
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
The bumper looks the business and I love the fangs. Now that photoshop is criminal. This isn't an Audi for God's sake.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 08:20 PM   #16
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Blacking them out looks so terrible, I just can't see it.
I agree, bad look for the car
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 08:20 PM   #17
King_Slayer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatumpsch View Post

I think the reason why everyone is so overwhelmingly "pro-fang" is because a vast majority of people think it looks amazing, and I am in that camp to. Maybe going by just pictures it might not be some peoples cup of tea. In person I never took a second glance at that part of the car thinking it was out of place. It all works well.

Also I think blacking out a portion of the bumper will make it look funny, to much of a gaping hole.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #18
Rogue_fxdl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 / '11 325is/89 325is

I also like the looks of the front and I'm sure the air flow was factored in to the design. To each his own..that's why "Baskins Robbins" has 31 flavors...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 11:32 PM   #19
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
The only thing that has bothered me about this front sens i saw the live pictures is at the side where its very round i wish they would made just that part a bit more sharp in a way not so soft. But would that throw me off from buying the car as with the mirrors? Don't be silly of course it wouldn't, In the end even though the aesthetics of the car is important but how it drives is whats gonna make it or brake it, Cause the exterior can always be altered in anyway you want pretty much. But the core of the car is harder to change then anything else.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #20
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

I think after a while, human nature just directs intuition to need change, even when something technically doesn't even exist on the market yet. #antsy

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 12:34 AM   #21
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

After seeing the M2 front bumper, the M3/M4 front looks so plain (but still beautiful). M2 front is aggressive, but not overwhelming as pics may incorrectly convey.

In fact, the front face and rear fenders are my favorite parts of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:18 AM   #22
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Just get BSM since it will be less pronounced than LBB