BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #1
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Thinking about selling my C5Z for 135i, S2000 or 370Z

Hey folks, I have a 2004 C5 Z06 that I've put up for sale (friend of mine is supposed to buy it in early March once her divorce is final).

The issue isn't with the car, its with the fact that I have 25k tied up in a vehicle my wife won't drive. It's simply too much car for her, the steering is heavy, the gearbox is heavy (short throw shifter) and it makes a ton of power in a fashion that she finds intimidating (even though it's actually impressively easy to drive).

The second issue, is I won't drive the car in the rain or when its below 45* outside, that's more of a personal thing than anything else.

I want something that I can take to a track day and have fun but that can also be driven by my wife no problem and enjoyed by both of us. The tiny backseat may even mean we can get our daughters back them when they both become forward facing.

Right now I'm thinking 135i (maybe a 128i?), S2000, and 370 fit the bill nicely. I've also considered something a bit older and American that someone else has spent the time/money to do a modern drivetrain swap making it easier to drive and more reliable but I'm not sure my wife would be onboard with that because again, American cars drive bigger, heavier, etc...

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
      02-01-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Get a 1M!!

But really for a fun track day car that's easy on the street, I'd be looking at a Miata, S2000, or E36 M3 (modified for light track use). The E36 is my favorite of the three. It also draws less attention, so you can get away with some spirited driving here and there on the street.

Get a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #3
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

The 1 series is a very rewarding car. I've owned 2 c6 z06's and I was more than happy to step into a 135i. I've never looked back

A couple other cars I would like to suggest...

e9x M3. V8 torque, can be had in a 4 door. Perfect for spirited driving. You'd be part of the M family.

C63 AMG. You can find these things in the high 20's low 30;s now. 4 doors and can be pretty darn quick with a tune, headers, etc. I met a lady that daily drove one of these. She loved it so im sure your wife will be on board.

Lexus ISF. They just released a reflash for this car so you can finally play with these. Again, 4 doors and auto... great for wife/kids. Still has a 5.0 V8 and rear wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I like the idea of an E90 M3. Won't cost you an arm and a leg. 4 doors with a back seat big enough for your daughters to grow in. Plus a screaming S65 V8 and handling that is track ready. Oh, and it's wife friendly. At least my wife would like it.
      02-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #5
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
The 1 series is a very rewarding car. I've owned 2 c6 z06's and I was more than happy to step into a 135i. I've never looked back

A couple other cars I would like to suggest...

e9x M3. V8 torque, can be had in a 4 door. Perfect for spirited driving. You'd be part of the M family.

C63 AMG. You can find these things in the high 20's low 30;s now. 4 doors and can be pretty darn quick with a tune, headers, etc. I met a lady that daily drove one of these. She loved it so im sure your wife will be on board.

Lexus ISF. They just released a reflash for this car so you can finally play with these. Again, 4 doors and auto... great for wife/kids. Still has a 5.0 V8 and rear wheel drive.

You meant e9x M3 V8 no torque right?? Coming out of a Z06 you would hate the V8 M3.

My vote would be a 1M or a recent Mustang Boss 302
Appreciate 0