Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

02-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

[VIC] Winton Fun Day Sat Feb 27th

Crossposted on e90post:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19322602

The next Winton fun day is coming up on Saturday Feb 27th:
(Can see the event on their calendar but the fun day page hasn't been updated yet)
http://www.wintonraceway.com.au/drive/fun-days

The day only costs $50 for driver or passenger and is organized in 30 minute sessions alternating between driver and driver+passenger sessions. Been to a couple of these, good fun, especially if you go with your friends and make a day of it.

Notes:
- You need a helmet, get one with the AS1698 sticker. I bought a motorbike helmet as they are much cheaper than motorsport helmets.
- You need long sleeve shirt, pants(not shorts) and enclosed footwear. No flammable clothing (cotton preferred)
- No need for cams license
- No need for fire extinguisher
- If you have a modified engine, make sure all the maintenance is up to date, weak stuff WILL break at the track! If in doubt, try a more conservative map to avoid overheating.

Make sure you fill up on petrol on the Hume at one of the big petrol stations, a lot of the rural stations don't carry 98 or E85. I would probably skip E85 mixing as it is a long drive and you don't really need more power on a tight track like Winton.

Note your insurance won't cover you on these days but as long as you don't drive like a dickhead you should be fine. Just overtake on the straights when it is safe, and keep a safe distance when following someone who doesn't know what they're doing. If its your first time, just concentrate on learning the track and taking the ideal racing line, don't be a hero and go all out.

We can meet up north of Melbourne and drive up to Winton together. It is around a 2.5 hour drive from Melbourne on the Hume. It is a good idea to go early if you want to score a good parking spot in the covered areas and set up a garage.

Meet at Coles Express Dalton Road Thomastown at 5:45AM for a strict 6AM start. If you are late, just meet up at Winton

Route Link:
https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/C...88!1m0!1m0!3e0

Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1Mand135iAust/

Last edited by vtl; 02-03-2016 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 03:07 AM   #2
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

One time I was down at Winton for private practice on a friday, and had an event on the sunday. There was a "fun" day on the saturday, so decided to go out there.

It was nuts, and one of the craziest things I've ever seen on a racetrack. At one time I counted 85 cars on the circuit at once. When cars broke down they didn't stop, just sent out the recovery truck out and pulled the car off while all the other cars were going around. Most people had no idea what they were doing. There were shitters of cars with exhuasts held on by ropes, etc. Local country boys in hilux diesel utes etc

Crazy day, I bailed after an hour.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Great day at the Winton fun day today! Great seeing some BMWs on the track and made it home in one piece. Track was just resurfaced, was very slippery but at least it seemed to be kind to the tyres. Easy to rotate the car under throttle.

The other cars on track were fantastic. Hardly any slow junkers, mostly modified JDM cars that put our N54s to shame for reliability. Their pace was reasonable and people got out the way pretty quickly best fun day I've done yet!

Was a good day hanging out with fellow forum members, have attached some of the pictures