BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
S2kM2dan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 6MT

Reliability Issues with 1M?

I absolutely love the 1M, has been my dream car for a while.
Now that I am thinking of buying one, I am worried since it wont have warranty. Do I need to worry about the turbos going out like the 335i's and the 135i's ?

Would suck to spend another 5-10k on top to replace that.

I been looking into the M2 just for peace of mind, but im not in love with it like I am with the 1M..

Any advice or thoughts that could ease my mind for the 1M?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
BarleyE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M sport

I'm new to owning a 1m, but i would be up s**ts creek if it wasn't for the BMW warranty. In one month I've had all 6 injectors replaced, o2 sensors, a fuel pump and coils. I'm fairly confident that the car only had one issue, and BMW staggered the replacement of parts to (in the short team) keep costs down, but it was a pain. I've since extended my BMW warranty for £600 for the year. An absolute no brainer. I can keep driving with peace of mind now.

The cars are absolutely fantastic, and feel really special. I can't recommend one enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanu31 View Post
Now that I am thinking of buying one, I am worried since it wont have warranty. Do I need to worry about the turbos going out like the 335i's and the 135i's ?

I been looking into the M2 just for peace of mind, but im not in love with it like I am with the 1M..

Thanks
I actually recently bought my 2nd used 1M from Toronto and brought it to the US. It is now out of warranty and had the same concerns as you. I was #1 on the list for the M2 primarily because I wanted Euro Delivery option and because you get 4 years of warranty during payment period which is really great. The M2 is really nice looking and a good value and very cool but despite this it doesn't have "IT" like the 1M did for me. I was also in the special situation where I sold my first 1M and was waiting for the M2 and chose to buy a used 1M without warranty. I do like the M2 overall but it just feels like another nice BMW M car, not really unique like the 1M.

In the 1M, you can get the no-nav strippers with manual seats which are lighter and give you more headroom and the cockpit looks amazingly clean and teutonic to me which I love. The cockpit in the M2 is just like every other non-focused driving cockpit today. Also the 1M has some unique qualities. It is rare! You never see one on the road. It was the last BMW ever that was only offered in a manual gearbox. It was the first turbo-charged M car. It doesn't have fake/enhanced engine sound which bothers some of us and the steering rack, while not the best feedback, is hydraulic and does give you a bit of feedback. It also looks graceful and classic now compared to all the edges on the M2 which look great now but I'm not sure how they will hold up over time.

With that said, the throttle response on the M2 will be better which is the one thing I would change on the 1M. If you plan to drive a lot and in the snow, the M2 is probably the way to go but if you plan to take care of the 1M, those that are well taken car of will hold their value pretty well down the road. I still get staring and thumbs up from even old people when they see my 1M which is surprising. I usually park where I can see it from the restaurant window and I'm surprised even 80 year old ladies, stop and point it out to their husbands and walk around it.

As far as reliability goes, you might have issues with fuel pumps. It's pretty sporadic but a lot have had one replaced. Also, possibly fuel injector replacements. Down the road the turbos might need replacement but they seem go go a long time without failures. Electric water pumps do go out but that's on all of them probably even the M2 later on.

Finally, as I said before, the strippers are the lightest and rarest and they will also tend to have less electronic glitches and easier repairs than NAV units so I would try to find one of those. Also, Valencia is the most attention getting color but the paint is pretty delicate and shows every nick since the primer is white underneath. White hides chips better which you might consider.

So I guess it depends on whether you will take really good care of it or daily drive it. 1M for care, M2 for daily is my vote.

Best wishes and if you have any questions feel free to ask, I'm on my second 1M and I would take an M2 if I lost it for some reason but I don't have any car lust when I see M2, there are too many little things on the 1M that you can't get anymore that make it special to me.

Best wishes.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:

Thanks
Obviously no one can tell you how reliable will be the particular 1M that you would buy. You should have bought the one that I have, which originally came out of Toronto, and was imported to the US

On the plus side, you can probably get a better deal on a Canadian 1M, in US$ terms, since they seem to be selling for less in Canada than in the USA.

Since you live in the land of the BIG ROAD SALT, pay particular attention to undercarriage corrosion issues. Mine has them, but I've done what I could to deal with it, and won't drive the car again in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

Totally agree with Nachob. I personally won't own an M car without a warranty. Too many repairs needed on my 2011 X5M. The warranty saved me huge money and still is on that car. No issues with my 1M so far but I have the warranty. One thing goes wrong and you ofter will pay for coverage..one large thing goes wrong and you are crying!

I think 1M is a reliable car from what I can see from mine.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
S2kM2dan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the responses!

Nachob, i have a PM coming for you. Thanks for the detailed response too!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:

Thanks
For an comprehensive overview, please consult the great 1M 'issue' thread compiled by 1M aficionado Artemis. The only widely acknowledged structural failures are minor: small tears in the 1M specific mirror attachment plates (car side) and rubbing of the front side wheel liners ('official' cause of rubbing occurs when using the BMW recommend winter tire set up, and some also have issues with OEM or modified rim-tire set ups). Both issues, if not under warranty, are usually covered under 'coulance'.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
Ba7raini
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

What Nachob said! Fuel pumps and injectors are the main things, I've had my oem charge pipe crack on me 3 times. Other than that I've given her a fair share of abuse and she's held up (almost at 100,000km's) just do maintenance on time as well as preventative maintenance and you'll be good provided the car was taken care of previously.

Previous - Sepang Bronze E39 ///M5 sadly sold
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
Totally agree with Nachob. I personally won't own an M car without a warranty. Too many repairs needed on my 2011 X5M. The warranty saved me huge money and still is on that car. No issues with my 1M so far but I have the warranty. One thing goes wrong and you ofter will pay for coverage..one large thing goes wrong and you are crying!

I think 1M is a reliable car from what I can see from mine.
The 1M doesn't have a bespoke motor so no warranty doesn't bother me at all. The 1M shares the same issues as the 135, 335, 535, X5, and Z4 equipped with the N54 motor. The largest ticket item would be turbo replacement and if you keep the car stock and change your oil every 3-5,000 miles, they should be good for 100k miles.

Now the N63/S63 are probably the worst engines in regards to reliability that BMW has recently produced and that's why BMWNA had to offer the Customer Care Package (i.e., BMW voluntary recall).

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
S2kM2dan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba7raini View Post
What Nachob said! Fuel pumps and injectors are the main things, I've had my oem charge pipe crack on me 3 times. Other than that I've given her a fair share of abuse and she's held up (almost at 100,000km's) just do maintenance on time as well as preventative maintenance and you'll be good provided the car was taken care of previously.
Great to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
The 1M doesn't have a bespoke motor so no warranty doesn't bother me at all. The 1M shares the same issues as the 135, 335, 535, X5, and Z4 equipped with the N54 motor. The largest ticket item would be turbo replacement and if you keep the car stock and change your oil every 3-5,000 miles, they should be good for 100k miles.

Now the N63/S63 are probably the worst engines in regards to reliability that BMW has recently produced and that's why BMWNA had to offer the Customer Care Package (i.e., BMW voluntary recall).
Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. Would you consider a JB4 Tune a factor to the turbo's health?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #11
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Great to hear!

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. Would you consider a JB4 Tune a factor to the turbo's health?
Depends on the tune's max boost. Any time you increase the boost, you're increasing stress and wear on the turbos.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #12
frenzy757
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MB M2cs, 2022 X5e, 2008 T4R

I have a 1M out of warranty. No issues so far. Great car. Don't have any car envy for cars in this price range at all.

Past: a91 ref blue Zupra, 86 Starion, 350z, Supra TT Auto, Supra TT 6 spd, IM/IM E46 M3, BMW 1m Coupe x2, S2000, 987.2 CS, ND2 MX5, LSB e46 M3 x2, 993 911
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #13
abb6027
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 1M

I bought a 2012 1M 22170 klms from a BMW dealer specifically for warranty. No real issues in the 5000 klms I've done.

I've had a few false low oil level warnings and then 20 mins later it's back to full. I think this is related to issue 14 in the known issues thread. Apart from that all good.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 12:02 AM   #14
de85275
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 424/740

Garage List
I've had mine for 4.5 years with no problems except for one back speaker.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 03:43 AM   #15
goodboy1451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

I had for coming to a year now. Runs like a dream. The only problem I has was to replace the cam solenoid valve due to it been clogged with my numerous morning short drives. Love the 1M and somehow mighty the M2 is, it doesn't has the same draw as the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #16
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
My warranty just expired, and I am not nervous. I keep telling myself I will replace the charge pipe as a preventative measure, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #17
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
If your worried just do an aftermarket warranty for the 1M. My bud swears by them; we also know the SAs at BMW and they work on his car replacing stuff all the time, they just want the biz, his car is modded too...Personally, I don't see the value, you are basically betting on something major going wrong. Turbos and fuel Pumps have extended warranty. If something shits the bed then I just research how to repair myself and upgrade, spend $ on tools...haven't had any issues w/ my 1M, however, my 135 had some bugs. I think owning a 1M NOW is more of a lifestyle..I enjoy working and doing maintenance on it, if it's not your thang or you do not have the time do an aftermarket warranty or go w/ the M2; you should factor depreciation into the equation as well. GL
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #18
1&done
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy757
I have a 1M out of warranty. No issues so far. Great car. Don't have any car envy for cars in this price range at all.
Well said
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #19
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
My warranty just expired, and I am not nervous. I keep telling myself I will replace the charge pipe as a preventative measure, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If my car was paid off or almost, then I also wouldn't be worried but I think what people who already own a 1M forget is that if you are buying one now, you are paying new 1M price and most of us will have a car payment for 4-5 years. It's a little more concerning having a car payment AND a big repair. That is one of the advantages of new. You get the warranty and service during the bulk of the loan period, then once it's paid off a big repair is not so big a deal.

I think some BMW owners forget that sometimes : )

Like if someone asks a question about snow tires, some guy will say just go buy a new X5M with all season tires...duh.

: )
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
mtl88
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie
My charge pipe just broke on me at 40k. My car is CPO so just had to pay the $50 deductible. I will be replacing it with an ER charge pipe once my warranty runs out.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #21
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl88 View Post
My charge pipe just broke on me at 40k. My car is CPO so just had to pay the $50 deductible. I will be replacing it with an ER charge pipe once my warranty runs out.
OK, you just motivated me.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #22
mtl88
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl88 View Post
OK, you just motivated me.
Appreciate 0