F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Steering re-centering issues on a new 340i
Studio RSR

02-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
obiwanshinobi87
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M-Sport

Steering re-centering issues on a new 340i

Hi, I have a new 2016 340i M Sport that was bought last December. I've noticed since the beginning that sometimes at highway speeds, after making small turns around a long curve of highway, the steering wheel does not tend to re-center itself like other cars. Instead, the wheel will seem "stuck" at one location (usually 5-10 degrees left or right of center), and it takes just a little more force just to turn it back to center. Is this a problem with the steering electronics? It's pretty unsettling sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #2
dman918
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i x-drive m-sport

Possibly needs an alignment? My steering wheel was off slightly and that was the solution. Perfect now.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwanshinobi87 View Post
Hi, I have a new 2016 340i M Sport that was bought last December. I've noticed since the beginning that sometimes at highway speeds, after making small turns around a long curve of highway, the steering wheel does not tend to re-center itself like other cars. Instead, the wheel will seem "stuck" at one location (usually 5-10 degrees left or right of center), and it takes just a little more force just to turn it back to center. Is this a problem with the steering electronics? It's pretty unsettling sometimes.
4 Wheel alignment will solve your problem.

it should be done twice a year (once before winter, once in the summer) depending on how bad your roads are. Once a year should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
obiwanshinobi87
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
4 Wheel alignment will solve your problem.

it should be done twice a year (once before winter, once in the summer) depending on how bad your roads are. Once a year should be fine.
Really? I've had alignment problems with other cars before, and it's usually just the steering wheel not staying centered when I'm trying to drive straight. This issue only occurs when I'm turning a long curve on the highway and there's inconsistency in the re-centering pressure. The wheel will start trying to re-center itself once I let go, but then feel like it stops itself before hitting center and I have to nudge it a little more before it centers. I just bought this car, so I'm surprised that alignment could be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Really? I've had alignment problems with other cars before, and it's usually just the steering wheel not staying centered when I'm trying to drive straight. This issue only occurs when I'm turning a long curve on the highway and there's inconsistency in the re-centering pressure. The wheel will start trying to re-center itself once I let go, but then feel like it stops itself before hitting center and I have to nudge it a little more before it centers. I just bought this car, so I'm surprised that alignment could be an issue.
If anything, have them check the steering rack, I had to turn mine slightly left to keep the car straight, but it doesn't do what you explained, so I think your steering rack has something wrong with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Does this happen in both comfort and sport setting?
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
obiwanshinobi87
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Yes I believe it happens regardless of what setting I have the car in.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwanshinobi87
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Yes I believe it happens regardless of what setting I have the car in.
Sound like a software issue or a defect to me. I wouldn't hesitate to take it in
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 12:31 AM   #9
arazai
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

I have noticed this as well. Have you gotten anywhere with the issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #10
F30aa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
My car has this issue also. The wheel would never re-center at low speeds especially. This isn't the only steering issue I've had. My car has been aligned several times in the past month and the wheel keeps going crooked to the left.

There may be defects with the steering system. My car is in the shop yet again as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
JD*
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d/518d

Quote:
Hi there,

I experienced this in my brand new 320i Touring on the motorway today, it's like the rack gets slightly stuck. Was there a fix?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 03:13 PM   #12
spyro512
Rep
Drives: Mini F60

Just had the tires changed from the RFT S001 to non RFT Michelin PS5 + had both axis aligned to very decent values

I still suffer from this. I drive a lot of cars apart from my private F30 and my F30 is the only one with this stupid sloppy feeling. Something it does return, sometimes partially, sometimes not at all.

Any ideas? I’m reading in Spanish forums that changing the rack helped
Appreciate 0