F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > BMW Main Dealer Do Not Know What This Sound Is - Do you?
ARMA SPEED

02-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #1
honahon
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D M Sport Touring

BMW Main Dealer Do Not Know What This Sound Is - Do you?

Morning all.

This is my first post on the F30 forum after selling a e90 M3 in exchange for a 64 plate f31 335D M Sport Touring with the M performance upgrade kit - I think it's stunning, from some angles, it almost reminds me of the old z3 M coupe.

OK - I've only just taken ownership of this car around 3 weeks ago. I've done very few miles and not driven it hard at all.

Got back from taking my daughter to school nearly 2 weeks ago and all 4 brakes were making a terrible sound that I have never heard before from any car - I can't even find the noise replicated on the internet.

Car was promptly low loaded back to my main dealer, where it has sat for over a week or so with all the 'top mechanics' scratching their heads. They have dismantled all the braking system and cannot find a fault - even though they openly admit that there is a 'serious' issue. A PUMA has been raised with tier 3 support in Germany, and they too are not sure what is wrong. At the current time, they are now just replacing parts until it's resolved.

Here's a video of the noise coming from all 4 brakes when depressing the pedal once up to temperature. The noise does not happen when cold, and the noise is a lot louder than the video reflects.

Any ideas folks?

Last edited by honahon; 02-11-2016 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I used to get a little crackling noise myself when car is at operating temp and only when stationary. Even though I don't have the same brakes as you do, we have a very similar sound but yours is just much louder. My car is at the dealership now, once it is done, I will inform you whether the sound is gone after a brake pad replacement.
      02-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Sounds like something is vibrating against the dust shields the sheet metal surrounds. Odd that it would be on all 4 wheels. Maybe there is a different part number ie smaller shield for the larger brakes?

With the car on a lift and the wheels off it should be obvious and easy to isolate the noise source.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

That is a dirty car. The dealer tech doesn't want to get dirty. Wash it then you will see.
      02-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
honahon
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335D M Sport Touring

Thank you for the replys. The dealer ended up swapping out the brake pads, discs and drums. Thankfully I didn't get a bill! Good as new now..
Appreciate 0