E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > My Valve Cleaning at 80k/ VC PSA

02-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #1
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

My Valve Cleaning at 80k/ VC PSA

Figured I would share the pictures from my valve cleaning. I found out I had been driving with a bad PCV valve in the VC for at least 5000 miles and since most people recommend the first blasting at 80-100k I figured why not now. As you can see in the pictures the valves needed to be blasted, but mostly the right valves. In addition, the right ports were wet with oil. My conclusion is that the broken PCV in the VC let a lot of crank case oil vapors back into the intake ports. You can see that the left valves look almost brand new. So it looks like if your VC is fine, blasting at 80k may not be needed. I highly recommend everyone periodically check your VC to make sure it is operating properly. This thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18947012 shows you how to check. I took a piece of tissue paper to the vac nipple instead of smoke. If you drive too long on a broken VC you probably will need new main seals. Takes 2 seconds to do, so don't be lazy and wait for the howling to start.

Dirty 1-6

Cleaned 1-6

After the cleaning the car was significantly smoother. Although my idle was not too bad, I notice it got smoother. When accelerating from a stop there was no more initial lurch, I could slowly accelerate (auto). Power delivery came on smoother, but I don't think total power changed. I can't comment on MPG due to inconsistent driving conditions, my guess is insignificant change. The job is really easy and basically follows the F series DIY. My method was spray all closed valves with carb cleaner and let sit for 10 minutes. Dry with a paper towel and compressed air. Blast the valves. Blast with air and the vacuum adapter attached (sucks up extra shells). Blast compressed air at each valve to remove any remaining shells. Cylinders 2,5 and 6 I did the process twice since they were the worst. I chose to remove the radiator fan (one screw top pass side, other bottom drivers side) and hand turn the crank with a 22mm socket to open/close valves. Start to finish is about 4-5 hours. Actual blasting is 1-2 hours depending on how slow/meticulous you are. You can still see some carbon on my valve stems, I figured it wasn't too big a deal and left them like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
They dont look at dirty as the N54's get, but it doesn't look as clean as ive seen them get either eg

02-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, definitely no N54. And i felt it was good enough. ran out of shells too lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 03:51 AM   #4
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Thanks for the info and heads up on keeping an eye on the PCV system. The pictures also help determine when its necessary to do a blasting.

Just to confirm, you put a tissue over the nipple on the round part that has the electrocution sign to confirm that it isn't drawing any air into the system while the engine is idling?

Going to give mime a check to make sure all is well over there.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon92 View Post
Thanks for the info and heads up on keeping an eye on the PCV system. The pictures also help determine when its necessary to do a blasting.

Just to confirm, you put a tissue over the nipple on the round part that has the electrocution sign to confirm that it isn't drawing any air into the system while the engine is idling?

Going to give mime a check to make sure all is well over there.
Yeah that's the one. take the cap off of it and put a tissue next to it while at idle. If it pulls the tissue in you have a bad VC.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Good info. I think my PCV is bad and also happened around 75k miles. I get an oscillating squeal on startup and it doesn't sound like it is the belt.
Appreciate 0