F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake rust - should I be concerned?
proTUNING Freaks

02-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
MSporta24
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320D M Sport

Brake rust - should I be concerned?

Hey everyone

I'm a fairly new F30 owner and love it. I look forward to sharing and learning from this community.

On to my main point ~ So I'm aware of the vulnerability of rust appearing very fast on BMW brake hubs and calipers. Been reading about it but never had an issue with it until now... I was cleaning my wheels last week when I noticed that I have severe(?) rust building up in the centre area of the brake hub shown in the pictures below:

From what I've read and videos I've seen. This can be cleaned up very easily. The most common procedure is using a wire mesh drill bit or brush with brake cleaner fluid to clean the surface and then applying anti-seize copper paste on the affected areas. Some also use WD40.

So this can be considered I guess the short term solution? Am I right? If there is anyone who can advise me on what I can do best to clean the rust up more efficiently for the long term I would be grateful.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

They are iron and, therefore, will rust. It is surface rust and not uncommon. the sweep area is kept clean by the rotors. I use anti-seize on the wheel to hub contact surfaces and a little on the wheel studs. i guess you could coat the other part of the rotor hub, but i expect that would wear off eventually. A number of after-market rotors are coated to prevent rust on the non contact surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
siy1223
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f32

it is rusting more easily on those rotors because those are the smaller ones. 340mm rotors and up have coating i believe and rust less. U can always get the hub and calipers painted.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:21 AM   #4
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

No
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 02:03 AM   #5
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1220479

At this point I don't know what to say. You may get away with it twice (like I did)... after that they may tell you they don't cover rust as it is an indication of excessive wear or outside influence. Not sure who keeps their ultimate driving machine inside or out of atmospheric conditions... I was told rust was not covered x10 until I demanded an explanation and complained through the BBB when I was told that rust wasn't covered as it was outside influence, which means it was due to driving habits or the elements. You have people on this thread telling you rust is normal since cast iron is a metal. I indicated exactly that to BMW NA that cast iron is a metal alloy which rusts naturally due to oxidation. If you keep going on this forum, people will tell you that you shouldn't have stopped your vehicle to preserve the brakes. Enter MY 2017 when no one will get free brake pads or discs under no-cost maintenance. Thank god we now have the ATS, A3, CLA, C, E, Camaro, Mustang, etc., to choose from. Good job trying to increase unit sales, BMW!!!

Last edited by pjohns21; 02-18-2016 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 02:10 AM   #6
pjohns21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB-II/CR 228i xDrive

And you're in the UK so things are a little different. Regardless, they put these parts on the US spec f30 because they're cheap and require replacement more quickly as a way to increase profitability. Since when have the Germans been so into Capitalism?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
MSporta24
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

Yep so as I had assumed already it is a short fix and it will reappear overtime. I'm not surprised that BMW have chosen to ignore this well known issue for years on their cars. I wonder if this is the case for the uprated brake kits available for the F30? For example if I were to get M Performance brake kit surely they will be made from better quality metal (decent coating) and will not look nasty overtime like the stock parts? I hope this is the case.

Ok, so I think my best option at present is just a clean up of all 4 brake hubs. As for painting a coat over the brake hubs, would I be able to use the same brake caliper paint for the hubs? I was thinking of Hycote VHT paint. Will tackle this on the weekend if the weather shows me mercy.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 12:51 AM   #8
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

I am not sure what you guys are so afraid of a superficial surface rust on the brakes... Your car isnt going to fall apart.

Do any of you really think so???

Tell me that you all have excessive OCD, otherwise, i dont really know how else to tell you: your discs will more than likely wear out and be replaced way way before you really should be concerned of the rust affecting them.

Worring about your brake rust is akin to preparing yourself now for when the sun will extinguish itself...

I think you all should take the chill pill and just simply enjoy your cars instead of neat picking..

Just my advice for you to have a good night sleep, and relax you tight end.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
MSporta24
Rep

I'm not paranoid about it lol

Just prefer a clean look on my car. I guess it is OCD. Well I'm hoping this weekend I can get some stuff done on the car. Thanks again for the replies and have a good weekend all!
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #10
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSporta24 View Post
I would just recommend that you clean all the surfaces, that are in contact with the wheel. I use a metall brush to clean the surface around the wheel hub from rust and dirt.
Around the wheel hub I put some copper paste to avoid the wheel locking up with the wheel hub ring.
- Make sure the flat surface of the wheel and the brake rotor are clean and dry before installing the wheel!
- Never ever put any grease or copper paste on the surface where the wheel screws holes are!
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #11
TomDeWord
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435i

Brake Rust cleaning

Without meaning to detract from the conversation what would people recommend as the best rust cleaning/removal approach for the rotors? Is it wire brush/some special fluid or evening painting? Also, the car's less than a year old so would warranty cover it?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Don't know about the UK, but here in the States, if it is the typical surface rust, it is normal and not considered an issue by the dealers or most drivers. Iron rusts unless treated or coated.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #13
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSporta24 View Post
Hey everyone

I'm a fairly new F30 owner and love it. I look forward to sharing and learning from this community.

On to my main point ~ So I'm aware of the vulnerability of rust appearing very fast on BMW brake hubs and calipers. Been reading about it but never had an issue with it until now... I was cleaning my wheels last week when I noticed that I have severe(?) rust building up in the centre area of the brake hub shown in the pictures below:

From what I've read and videos I've seen. This can be cleaned up very easily. The most common procedure is using a wire mesh drill bit or brush with brake cleaner fluid to clean the surface and then applying anti-seize copper paste on the affected areas. Some also use WD40.

So this can be considered I guess the short term solution? Am I right? If there is anyone who can advise me on what I can do best to clean the rust up more efficiently for the long term I would be grateful.
A very liberal application of WD40 over all your brake components would indeed reduce rust as well as eliminate brake squeal.
Appreciate 0