BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
dbc1m
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BSM 1M

Dinan E82 1M S3 Signature Package

I am a new member of this forum, I have been lurking around it for a few years and have gained a ton of information and education from you all, and have done all my DIY work with this forum open on my work bench.
It is a pleasure being a member of such a unique group of enthusiasts.

Last year I traded in my first BMW, a 09 135i, for my dream car.
The BSM 1M, and I love it!!

Anyway, my question is, am I crazy for considering getting and installing the "Dinan E82 1M S3 Signature Package"
Wondering if anyone has done this and what your experience is.
Am I destroying the integrity of the car? or would I be enhancing the enjoyment of driving this beast? Currently the car is a stocker.

My reasoning behind getting the Dinan package, besides the obvious performance benefits, is because I have tracked the car a couple of times and have run into the same situation as the 135i had with overheating and going into limp mode. A bit embarrassing but most importantly I don't want to cause any permanent damage. Plus I lose time on the track. I have no plans of selling and she is a daily driver for me. The Dinan installation does include a bit of cutting but it seems like you could go back to stock without too much trouble if necessary.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Dinan's stuff is very well built AND tested... unlike most aftermarket parts. But their stuff is on the pricey side. You do get a well sorted out package - that performs very well. Here are three videos you should watch.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Welcome another BSM owner in Vancouver... I weekend drive mine as it's my only car although I technically have access to another car, this car is just fun to drive - see you around (mine has black Apex wheels). Don't worry about tracking it - I only had camber plates and catch can on mine, stock summer tires (which isn't exactly stock since the previous owner changed to Pilot SuperSport), and I tracked it twice last year at The Ridge (20 mins sessions with 40 mins in between) - I'm afraid that the Dinan power is far too much for a car like this when we don't have access to "high-powered" tracks.

Only had to deal with the DBC/FTM going boinkers but that might be due to the alignment being off when I hopped curbs...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
dbc1m
Canada
Rep

thanks dackel, those vids certainly made me want to do it!!
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Congrats on the new ride!

If you are going into limp mode on the track I would suggest upgrading the intercooler and/or oil cooler. There are intercoolers that do not require any hacking. Do your research.

Whether or not you want more power is personal preference. Adding more power would introduce more heat into the engine compartment. I have stock tune, stock intercooler and have never gone into limp mode on the track even in TX heat.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

I believe that car they were all driving/testing is for sale in St. Louis at this place, though I can't link directly to it.

Wonder if it might be worth trying to even fly out and see/drive it before deciding perhaps?

http://www.bimmersrus.com/for-sale/inventory/
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
Congrats on the new ride!

If you are going into limp mode on the track I would suggest upgrading the intercooler and/or oil cooler. There are intercoolers that do not require any hacking. Do your research.

Whether or not you want more power is personal preference. Adding more power would introduce more heat into the engine compartment. I have stock tune, stock intercooler and have never gone into limp mode on the track even in TX heat.
I have not heard of many 1Ms going into limp mode either. You would think TX would be killer with the heat so maybe his car has a cooling issue...unless Vancouver is hotter than Texas.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Mech View Post
I have not heard of many 1Ms going into limp mode either. You would think TX would be killer with the heat so maybe his car has a cooling issue...unless Vancouver is hotter than Texas.
+1

Are you sure the car doesn't have a tune? I have tracked in 90 degree heat, autocross in 100+ and never experienced limp mode. Stock tune with Maddad mids.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 12:24 AM   #9
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Timely thread for me. I've been debating what to do car wise for the last 12 months, been wanting a Pcar forever, but just can't get myself to sell this little bastard. And have grown to love its uniqueness.

So naturally looking into mods. And the Dinan route likely has the least negative effect on future value. The math might just pan out too. I could sell my car add 20k and get a 70k car. Neato. If new, that car would depreciate like a brick, and if not new likely would not be unique. So add that 20k to my 1M and make it even more of a bastard? With brand recognition?

Dinan S3-R makes a strong argument.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #10
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

The Dinan S3-R is a nice cohesive package but IMO is very overpriced for the performance bump and still doesn't address some weak points like the plastic charge pipe or restrictive inlets.

A package of comparable or superior parts but from other reputable brands would run approx $3,500usd less, only thing you wouldn't be able to buy is the Dinan badge

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #11
dbc1m
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
+1

Are you sure the car doesn't have a tune? I have tracked in 90 degree heat, autocross in 100+ and never experienced limp mode. Stock tune with Maddad mids.

Hmmm Interesting, Thanks
I will look this weekend at the mids. Would be surprised to find anything but stock.

Not sure why it overheats then. It has happened both times I've been to the track and has happened twice while spirited street driving in the year I have had it.
The 135i did it constantly. (the trip to Whistler is definitely not hotter then Texas )
Under warranty i had many parts replaced,on the 135i
Spark plugs, coils, fuel rail, fuel pump, injectors, water pump, coolant.
It did have a tune and BMW performance exhaust. And would always go Limp.

When the 1M started doing it I assumed it was an inherent thing with the n54
(again new to bmw)
That is why I started looking into "coolers" and have come full circle around to the Dinan package. It seems to be the full package. All be it a bit pricey but includes sort of everything? (except charge pipe)With a good reputation.

One thing I was considering, if I am driving in "Sport" and with the first stage of "dsc" off, could the engine revs and the dsc be causing the engine to overwork itself. I will try taking off all dsc, although it makes me nervous on the street in the wet!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #12
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
Never heard of any 1M's going into limp mode for some spirited driving or track driving... or at least not for overheating.

There have been cases of limp mode while driving on the track if your charge pipe pops out and that could happen even with stock pressures but that's a different issue.

Do you have any sort of OBD reader? You could pull the codes if you haven't already to find the reason behind the limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
dbc1m
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post
Never heard of any 1M's going into limp mode for some spirited driving or track driving... or at least not for overheating.

There have been cases of limp mode while driving on the track if your charge pipe pops out and that could happen even with stock pressures but that's a different issue.

Do you have any sort of OBD reader? You could pull the codes if you haven't already to find the reason behind the limp mode.
I didn't have one at the time and since then it has been to the dealer for service, and they must have cleared everything because there are no fault codes currently. I will check it next time limp happens.
Thanks
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2016, 03:57 AM   #14
OneM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

If you're going branded, Hamann is more reputable.

For the money with either of these companies, you could buy high quality performance parts yourself, unless you want their warranty and after sales..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #15
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Wonder what the longevity of Dinan's upgraded turbos is expected to be?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #16
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
I know of three 1M's with the Dinan turbos. One has been running them for over 25,000 miles and the other two have some where around the 15ish range. If pushed to hard, I'm pretty sure they'd die like the stock/VTT/rb/etc turbos people in the e90 N54 engine thread complain about blowing up after running the dyno queen map on their car for six months straight. The reliability is all in the tune.

Last edited by redux; 02-21-2016 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 11:20 PM   #17
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
running the dyno queen map
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #18
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
I know of three 1M's with the Dinan turbos. One has been running them for over 25,000 miles and the other two have some where around the 15ish range. If pushed to hard, I'm pretty sure they'd die like the stock/VTT/rb/etc turbos people in the e90 N54 engine thread complain about blowing up after running the dyno queen map on their car for six months straight. The reliability is all in the tune.
Sounds like you might have a reliable one--what/who did you use? I have the Cobb but have not done much with it...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 12:19 AM   #19
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Barring the various PWR replacements and a VAC oil pan baffle, my engine is stock. I've learned that it's best to leave engines that will see a lot of track abuse stock with water and oil cooling upgrades. Well, at least that's the case until you are willing to dump a healthy sum of money into a proper engine build. So, if your 1M is a long term ownership prospect, I'd take the cobb off of it.
Appreciate 0