E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ZF Transmission overhaul.

02-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

ZF Transmission overhaul.

Would appreciate the collective wisdom of those who have done this and how difficult it is to do as a home garage project. I have indications my ZF 6HP19X may be starting to have issues. Looks like a complete set of overhaul parts (new solenoids, all gaskets, new TC, etc) is at least $1500. Remanufactured prices look like they are in the $2300-3500 range. Just not sure if the effort required will be worth the savings. TIA.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I just overhauled the valve body hoping to fix some shifting issues, mostly inconsistent shifts (never had an issue with slipping or missed shifts). I did new solenoids, Zip kit, sealing sleeves, square seal thing, foam strip, separator plate, mechatronic sealing sleeve, and ZF lifegaurd 6 fluid, then reset adaptations. First impression is positive, seems a little better, but not quite the improvement I was hoping for. I didn't find any bad parts like I was hoping to. Gonna put more miles on it before making any final conclusions.

At the cost of a FULL rebuild I would honestly just go with a 6MT swap instead.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 1
      02-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
I just overhauled the valve body hoping to fix some shifting issues, mostly inconsistent shifts (never had an issue with slipping or missed shifts). I did new solenoids, Zip kit, sealing sleeves, square seal thing, foam strip, separator plate, mechatronic sealing sleeve, and ZF lifegaurd 6 fluid, then reset adaptations. First impression is positive, seems a little better, but not quite the improvement I was hoping for. I didn't find any bad parts like I was hoping to. Gonna put more miles on it before making any final conclusions.

OK, Thx. Would you mind sharing where you got all the parts and how much it set you back?

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 01:50 AM   #4
limitdown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

Everything is available on thectsc . I was getting limp mode when downshifting from 4th to 3rd. It was a true limp as the transmission would not shift past 3rd gear with the fault.
I replaced the solenoids and all ihas been good.
If I had to do a full overhaul with the clutches, then I would have just swapped in a low mileage 6AT.
Before ordering the parts, be sure you're getting the correct kit. Realoem and BMW's ETK showed my Aug 2007 build as having a 6HP19, but when we lifted up the car and looked at the tag on the actual gearbox, it showed as a 6HP21. Even with a 6HP21, there are 2 different parts kits. You'll need to visually look at the "stueckl" number on the metal tag.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Solenoids: $350 shipped from eBay seller in UK, arrived in 3 days! New, not remanufactured
Zip kit: $140 from eBay
Sonnax separator plate: $47 shipped from transmission parts USA
Sealing sleeves, square seal, foam strip: $70 shipped from ctsc
9L ZF oil: $206 shipped from ctsc
Mechatronic seal sleeve: $18 shipped from eBay

As stated, check your trans, mine is also a 6hp21 but it says 19 on realoem. You will also need the number on the side to get the correct solenoids. And you will get the separator plate number once you pull off the pan.

Last edited by ferocity02; 02-21-2016 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2016, 12:08 AM   #6
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Thx, guys. This is extremely helpful information. Right now I flashed from the Alpina B3 to the Sport trans flash and the hunting is barely noticeable, even when in the parameters where it was before. I plan on doing injectors this weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's just a bad injector...

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Not a bad injector....sad panda.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Solenoids: $350 shipped from eBay seller in UK, arrived in 3 days! New, not remanufactured
Zip kit: $140 from eBay
Sonnax separator plate: $47 shipped from transmission parts USA
Sealing sleeves, square seal, foam strip: $70 shipped from ctsc
9L ZF oil: $206 shipped from ctsc
Mechatronic seal sleeve: $18 shipped from eBay

As stated, check your trans, mine is also a 6hp21 but it says 19 on realoem. You will also need the number on the side to get the correct solenoids. And you will get the separator plate number once you pull off the pan.
So, my transmission is confirmed to be a 6HP21. I believe this means that it needs the following:

1. Sonnex ZF6-GEN2-ZIP kit. http://www.sonnax.com/parts/3053-zip-kit

and

2. These solenoids http://www.ebay.com/itm/181917996959...witem=&vxp=mtr

EDIT: Figured out that since i am "gen2", I need different solenoids, so, of course costs double...LOL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181939379845...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Can you confirm? My transmission details are:

Model 6HP21
Code 1071 030 026
Serial #: 0208132

Thx for the help! Starting the journey...

Last edited by AndyW; 04-03-2016 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: New info
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #9
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe E92 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
Would appreciate the collective wisdom of those who have done this and how difficult it is to do as a home garage project. I have indications my ZF 6HP19X may be starting to have issues. Looks like a complete set of overhaul parts (new solenoids, all gaskets, new TC, etc) is at least $1500. Remanufactured prices look like they are in the $2300-3500 range. Just not sure if the effort required will be worth the savings. TIA.
Just thought I'd throw this out there, but I did a trans adaption reset in INPA, and then did the "re-learn" technique described in the link below and all my trans problems went away including rough downshifts, the "bump" feeling when stopping, 4F86 and 4F8D codes along with others, etc. all gone thanks to the help of some advice I got on this forum. I honestly have no idea what the trans "learned" to make it drive so awful, I didn't know how bad it was until I did the reset and relearn and felt how smooth it is now.

So I would say before doing anything, I would atleast try the reset first. Just MAKE SURE to do the relearn technique, my car was undrivable (codes, limp mode, etc.) after I reset the adaptations until I did the relearn technique.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/fcp-creativ...Software+P.png
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDriveIt View Post
Just thought I'd throw this out there, but I did a trans adaption reset in INPA, and then did the "re-learn" technique described in the link below and all my trans problems went away including rough downshifts, the "bump" feeling when stopping, 4F86 and 4F8D codes along with others, etc. all gone thanks to the help of some advice I got on this forum. I honestly have no idea what the trans "learned" to make it drive so awful, I didn't know how bad it was until I did the reset and relearn and felt how smooth it is now.

So I would say before doing anything, I would atleast try the reset first. Just MAKE SURE to do the relearn technique, my car was undrivable (codes, limp mode, etc.) after I reset the adaptations until I did the relearn technique.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/fcp-creativ...Software+P.png
Thx! I'll look into that. Would be nice if that fixes it...

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I got my solenoids from these guys: http://www.ebay.com/usr/one-stop-gea...p2047675.l2559

They were about $350 shipped and arrived in 3 days from the UK, pretty impressive.

I just hope they weren't fakes. They looked like the originals and have been working well so far. The seller needed my trans ID to confirm the correct solenoids.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 1
      04-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #12
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got my solenoids from these guys: http://www.ebay.com/usr/one-stop-gea...p2047675.l2559

They were about $350 shipped and arrived in 3 days from the UK, pretty impressive.

I just hope they weren't fakes. They looked like the originals and have been working well so far. The seller needed my trans ID to confirm the correct solenoids.
Thx much!

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I know this is an old thread....but did any of you guys end up rebuilding your valve body and/or transmission? I have a nice used ZF6HP21 sitting in my garage....thinking about rebuilding it with new clutches, bushings, and seals....maybe doing a step by step tutorial on how to do it.

From what I've seen....they really aren't that hard to pull apart.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #14
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I know this is an old thread....but did any of you guys end up rebuilding your valve body and/or transmission? I have a nice used ZF6HP21 sitting in my garage....thinking about rebuilding it with new clutches, bushings, and seals....maybe doing a step by step tutorial on how to do it.

From what I've seen....they really aren't that hard to pull apart.
About 8 months ago I dropped the pan in mine to change the solenoids, all the little rubber seals and tubes, reset adaptions, and did a zip kit with a new middle plate seal

Reason I did mine was because the car would miss gears and not shift properly under hard acceleration, doing that job fixed the shifting issue but it is now suffering from something else

I never got a code for either of these problems but something was wrong then and definitely now as well. I'm guessing the clutch packs are worn or slightly damaged from when it was missing gears

I've thought about investing in the precision Raceworks clutch pack kit but it would probably be cheaper to just find a low miles transmission and do the precautionary maintenance before install!

But if you do in fact do a rebuild a tutorial would be awesome, would make me really want to rebuild it for higher torque!
      04-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #15
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwilcox29 View Post
About 8 months ago I dropped the pan in mine to change the solenoids, all the little rubber seals and tubes, reset adaptions, and did a zip kit with a new middle plate seal

Reason I did mine was because the car would miss gears and not shift properly under hard acceleration, doing that job fixed the shifting issue but it is now suffering from something else

I never got a code for either of these problems but something was wrong then and definitely now as well. I'm guessing the clutch packs are worn or slightly damaged from when it was missing gears

I've thought about investing in the precision Raceworks clutch pack kit but it would probably be cheaper to just find a low miles transmission and do the precautionary maintenance before install!

But if you do in fact do a rebuild a tutorial would be awesome, would make me really want to rebuild it for higher torque!
Have you pulled your adaptations to see if any are out of range? Also, have you tried installing the xHP stage 3 flash tune? They bumped up the line pressure to make the clutches hold more torque....maybe that's an easy fix for you?

I've though about doing the raceworks clutch/rebuild kit.....but that's $1,500 in parts vs the standard OEM parts from ZF at $500.......that's a lot of extra money for that raceworks kit.

From what I've seen....these ZF transmissions will hold lots of hp/tq if in good shape, and serviced regularly. I have seen some Raybestos clutch kits on eBay for the 6HP21 transmission....but I have no idea if they are any better (or worse) than the ZF clutches.

Too bad there aren't any more options....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #16
AndyW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwilcox29 View Post
I did this as well, with no issues, but I didn't have codes. Before or after. Not sure I'd have tackled replacing the clutch plates.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #17
alexwilcox29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Have you pulled your adaptations to see if any are out of range? Also, have you tried installing the xHP stage 3 flash tune? They bumped up the line pressure to make the clutches hold more torque....maybe that's an easy fix for you?

I've though about doing the raceworks clutch/rebuild kit.....but that's $1,500 in parts vs the standard OEM parts from ZF at $500.......that's a lot of extra money for that raceworks kit.

From what I've seen....these ZF transmissions will hold lots of hp/tq if in good shape, and serviced regularly. I have seen some Raybestos clutch kits on eBay for the 6HP21 transmission....but I have no idea if they are any better (or worse) than the ZF clutches.

Too bad there aren't any more options....
Yeah I have looked at them and they are all in okay range! And I'm running the stage 3 flash as well definitely helps a lot! I just get a little jerky feeling letting off the gas for some reason!

Yeah I'm definitely thinking of not even doing clutch packs and gamble on a low miles auto with hopes the clutch packs are in good condition!

And yeah worst part is there's no really good option that's at all easy or cheap!
      04-23-2020, 05:57 AM   #18
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Check local "pick-n-pull" type auto salvage yards. I picked up a used 6HP21 out of an 09' 335i for $300.

I think they put those same transmissions in a lot of different cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 05:42 AM   #19
closer_ist
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

2007 e90 320d 167k km 4f8d warning automatic transmission on my car. but but there is no gear shift gap or slippage in the car. and this way I have received this warning 4 or 5 times in the last 1 year. the mechanic says the transmission needs to be renewed, but it didn't seem convincing to me. Because as I said, there is no problem in shifting any gear in my car. Anyone know about the software update? or is there someone to help in general .. Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #20
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:

Did you put it through the specific driving sequence that you are supposed to do, when one resets the adaptations?
Appreciate 0