THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes M235i best economical suspension upgrade?

02-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #1
RaidersFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

M235i best economical suspension upgrade?

Purchasing a 6MT M235i soon, got wholesale due to the time of year on a 2015 with 8k miles.

Looking to upgrade the suspension. I would like a drop of around 1" over stock, nothing too aggressive. Trying to keep it under $2k. Options I have considered: Bilstein HD mated with Eibach Pro springs; PSS or PSS10 coilovers; KW Street comfort or V1.

Coming from an E92 M3, so I don't want to give up too much performance. Love the M3's suspension, but this is a better overall car for me; more torque around town, a bit lighter, better MPG. I won't be tracking the car aside from perhaps 1 or 2 days a year; I place zero priority on tracking the car.

Thoughts? Any other easy and cheap handling upgrades while I am at it, such as sway bars?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidersFan View Post
Purchasing a 6MT M235i soon, got wholesale due to the time of year on a 2015 with 8k miles.

Looking to upgrade the suspension. I would like a drop of around 1" over stock, nothing too aggressive. Trying to keep it under $2k. Options I have considered: Bilstein HD mated with Eibach Pro springs; PSS or PSS10 coilovers; KW Street comfort or V1.

Coming from an E92 M3, so I don't want to give up too much performance. Love the M3's suspension, but this is a better overall car for me; more torque around town, a bit lighter, better MPG. I won't be tracking the car aside from perhaps 1 or 2 days a year; I place zero priority on tracking the car.

Thoughts? Any other easy and cheap handling upgrades while I am at it, such as sway bars?
You're got adaptive suspension, so your options are limited. Forget coilovers. Also, at your budget, forget sway bars, too, unless you're willing to do the work; installing them at either axle requires pulling most or entire assemblies from the subframe. It's particularly nasty at the front axle, from what I understand.

I'd focus on springs and Dinan Shockware software.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:

If you have adaptive suspension forget about Bilstein shocks or coilovers, or almost everything else for that matter. They won't work correctly. About the only coilovers that might work with your car are KW. And still, you have to make sure they have the right version for your vehicle. I hear KW do have V2, V3, and DCC plug&play for F22 with adaptive suspension but I would double check about V1, V2, and V3 and what's required to make it work.

You probably don't want KW street comfort or V1 because they're way too soft and you can't change anything about it. V2 is an expensive compromise because you can only tweak rebound on an otherwise soft spring and shock. The car is already too floaty. You probably don't want to make it any more "comfortable".

A stiffer rear sway without an LSD may or may not be worth it. It's been reported that traction issues may arise. LSD is way over your proposed budget.

One of the easiest and low-cost improvement you can make to your adaptive suspension is get Eibach Pro-Kit springs, cut the OEM bumpstops and keep the OEM shocks. Looks nice, sits a bit higher than H&R (which is probably a good thing as you still get enough of shock travel), rides nice, too. Moderately stiffer than stock but not crashy, handles better, way better at high speed, a nice improvement within the constraints of adaptive suspension. That's what I settled for after making a few blunders with adaptive suspension. Or, research the subject of KW coilovers if you're willing to go further than that.

Last edited by x233; 02-28-2016 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #4
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i black/black

If a modest improvement in handling and <1/2" front drop will do it for you, then M4 LCAs ($360) will give this plus adds 1 degree of camber and increases caster. Add. 12.5mm rear wheel spacers ($125) and you'll have improved looks and better handling while retaining the adaptive suspension all for ~ $500.

Adding the rear diff will definitely help but it's $3200 installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

dinan springs, m3 m4 lcas, in that order.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:05 AM   #6
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
You're got adaptive suspension, so your options are limited. Forget coilovers. Also, at your budget, forget sway bars, too, unless you're willing to do the work; installing them at either axle requires pulling most or entire assemblies from the subframe. It's particularly nasty at the front axle, from what I understand.

I'd focus on springs and Dinan Shockware software.
Last I heard Dinan was not able to get shockware running on the 235 and gave up. Only the 228 with adaptive. Which is a real shame because I can tell you it made a huge difference! Hopefully they were able to make a break through.. I would recommend it to everyone who wants a flat cornering car and a lot less rebound than stock.

Maybe Dinan Engineering can chime in
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:44 AM   #7
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

H&R do a low drop set of springs for M235i circa -15mm all round - no need to change bumpstops etc etc - will improve cars road manners and looks without trashing the ride or wheel travel.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #8
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
^^^^^this
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #9
RaidersFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
H&R do a low drop set of springs for M235i circa -15mm all round - no need to change bumpstops etc etc - will improve cars road manners and looks without trashing the ride or wheel travel.
Is this a custom order, or something I can order up now? I like the idea of a 15mm drop, and also the M4 LCA setup. Seems price effective.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 03:40 AM   #10
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Is this a custom order, or something I can order up now? I like the idea of a 15mm drop, and also the M4 LCA setup. Seems price effective.
H&R part number 28896-2 (for M325i), listed in their catalogue:
http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...6107001&12=130
Certificate: http://www.dvsegmbh.info/PDF/einbau/...1468/28896.PDF
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #11
RaidersFan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
I read the threads of the M3 LCA upgrade: did anyone get the headlight orientation fixed? Seemed like there was a lot of talk about that. Or a link to a good summary of the parts and steps needed to perform it?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 11:08 PM   #12
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
I read the threads of the M3 LCA upgrade: did anyone get the headlight orientation fixed? Seemed like there was a lot of talk about that. Or a link to a good summary of the parts and steps needed to perform it?
you just need a screw driver and keep turning till the height is right
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #13
chihao
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

besides Eibach and H&R, you can also try good old Hartge, it lowers the car a bit shy of an inch.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #14
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
If you have adaptive suspension forget about Bilstein shocks or coilovers, or almost everything else for that matter. They won't work correctly. About the only coilovers that might work with your car are KW.
OP - Take this statement with a grain of salt. KW is the only manufacturer that sells a coilover kit that will integrate with the EDC of the adaptive M235 suspension. HOWEVER, this can be coded out by anyone with a laptop and the appropriate software easily. Any other coilover kit that fits the car will work with an M235, but you will have to buy the EDC modules (@ $400) or find a friend to do the coding. Coding out the adaptive suspension will prevent it from going into limp mode, but allow all other comfort/sport/sport+ functions to work appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
On that note, a number of owners have had okay experience with the HR springs. However, the HRs destroyed my adaptive struts (all four started leaking after install). Could be a fluke, but I have heard of this more than once.

Last edited by hoppy6698; 08-25-2016 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #15
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
OP - Disregard this statement, or take it with a grain of salt. KW is the only manufacturer that sells a coilover kit that will integrate with the EDC of the adaptive M235 suspension. HOWEVER, this can be coded out by anyone with a laptop and the appropriate software easily. Any other coilover kit that fits the car will work with an M235, but you will have to buy the EDC modules (@ $400) or find a friend to do the coding. Coding out the adaptive suspension will prevent it from going into limp mode, but allow all other comfort/sport/sport+ functions to work appropriately.
Or, don't disregard, because without acceleration sensors and VSS that come with adaptive suspension the car's handling may be messed up. may not notice this on dry pavement but sure will on wet, ice or snow.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #16
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

KW HAS m2 kit retrofit onto M235i....

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=11

Anyone know if the strut tube diameter is the same for M235i and M2 ???? If so then KW lower support could also fit on M235i OE strut

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #17
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Or, don't disregard, because without acceleration sensors and VSS that come with adaptive suspension the car's handling may be messed up. may not notice this on dry pavement but sure will on wet, ice or snow.
Your statement was that if you replace the adaptive suspension, they "won't work correctly." Point being is that if you install coilovers that are not designed to adapt, then they do indeed work correctly. The adaptability while in motion only applies to very few struts/coils other than OEM setups.
      07-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #18
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Your statement was that if you replace the adaptive suspension, they "won't work correctly." Point being is that if you install coilovers that are not designed to adapt, then they do indeed work correctly. The adaptability while in motion only applies to very few struts/coils other than OEM setups.
Changing dampers, EDC compatible or not, of course will not alter the damper's function per se. The quality of damping will depend solely on the capabilities of the specific dampers and springs used.

To that end, I think, just a thought, that a minimum requirement to produce a similar quality of damping and provide a similar level of wheel contact with the road as the stock adaptive dampers would be a 1-way adjustable kit with a helper spring because a basic preset rebound/compression damper with a basic spring would only be good in a narrow range of conditions.

At the same time, using a damper that doesn't utilize the acceleration sensors inputs and VSS capabilities and come with EDC is going to significantly alter the steering inputs and car's handling.

I experimented with it a bit in winter. Glad I did that in winter because driving the car on slippery roads made feeling the difference a lot easier. The grip was a bit worse than stock but the car handled like cr*p. I can see how adjustable rebound and a helper spring could remedy the grip part of the equation. The handling part, though, has less to do with the quality of damping. It's the steering inputs that you no longer have. VSS effectively masks understeer and you no longer have that, just as you no longer have the feedback about the position and motion of your front wheels. I suspect that not using those sensors may also affect other things, like braking applications on individual wheels, etc.

As a result you have a very flat car that misleadingly feels solid and quite planted when you drive on dry and flat asphalt, it gets worse when you hit road imperfections and if there's not enough traction it can be attributed to the limits of the specific non-oem damper used, but once you try to maneuver and quickly change directions you can no longer do that as quickly or effectively, you no longer have the agility of the stock suspension which has everything to do with the disabled steering functions. Once you get on a slippery patch of road it gets tricky, trying to tuck the car in the same corner you just did on adaptive suspension results in tremendous understeer that then quickly changes into snap oversteer. Catching the car all over the road like that is just no way to go. The steering feels quite disconnected. I certainly didn't try every possible scenario, so, yes, take it with a grain of salt, but no, do not disregard unless you want to end up in a ditch.

Coding it out will sure prevent fault messages from popping up but will it remedy the steering?

Anyway, that's why I think that using a kit that's not specifically designed to work with EDC and everything that comes with it is a bad idea. It only "kind of" works.

Last edited by x233; 07-14-2016 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 3
hoppy6698127.00
Tpeterson156.50
Poochie9103.00
      07-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #19
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Changing dampers, EDC compatible or not, of course will not alter the damper's function per se. The quality of damping will depend solely on the capabilities of the specific dampers and springs used.

To that end, I think, just a thought, that a minimum requirement to produce a similar quality of damping and provide a similar level of wheel contact with the road as the stock adaptive dampers would be a 1-way adjustable kit with a helper spring because a basic preset rebound/compression damper with a basic spring would only be good in a narrow range of conditions.

At the same time, using a damper that doesn't utilize the acceleration sensors inputs and VSS capabilities and come with EDC is going to significantly alter the steering inputs and car's handling.

I experimented with it a bit in winter. Glad I did that in winter because driving the car on slippery roads made feeling the difference a lot easier. The grip was a bit worse than stock but the car handled like cr*p. I can see how adjustable rebound and a helper spring could remedy the grip part of the equation. The handling part, though, has less to do with the quality of damping. It's the steering inputs that you no longer have. VSS effectively masks understeer and you no longer have that, just as you no longer have the feedback about the position and motion of your front wheels. I suspect that not using those sensors may also affect other things, like braking applications on individual wheels, etc.

As a result you have a very flat car that misleadingly feels solid and quite planted when you drive on dry and flat asphalt, it gets worse when you hit road imperfections and if there's not enough traction it can be attributed to the limits of the specific non-oem damper used, but once you try to maneuver and quickly change directions you can no longer do that as quickly or effectively, you no longer have the agility of the stock suspension which has everything to do with the disabled steering functions. Once you get on a slippery patch of road it gets tricky, trying to tuck the car in the same corner you just did on adaptive suspension results in tremendous understeer that then quickly changes into snap oversteer. Catching the car all over the road like that is just no way to go. The steering feels quite disconnected. I certainly didn't try every possible scenario, so, yes, take it with a grain of salt, but no, do not disregard unless you want to end up in a ditch.

Coding it out will sure prevent fault messages from popping up but will it remedy the steering?

Anyway, that's why I think that using a kit that's not specifically designed to work with EDC and everything that comes with it is a bad idea. It only "kind of" works.
You must be a chassis engineer. My non-engineer take is that the ECU is programmed to receive all the shock and steering input from the EDC shocks and it isn't receiving it from other types.Which can't be good.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #20
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I agree, and sadly I think a lot of this probably has more to do with the switch from hydraulic steering to electric. The 'witchery' every auto make is attempting to code back into the steering feel has to derive from inputs somewhere. Makes sense that BMW would use the EDC, as the only valid input connected to the road.

I also agree that is a bad idea, or at least less preferred for anyone who may do track time (HPDE), or autobahn/European driving - the feedback will be less than stellar which will cause under/over corrections by the driver. For US street use, my guess is 90% of owners would not even notice a difference. I think that is where the danger lies as well; these kits will not scale appropriately for extreme use or 9/10ths driving.
      08-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #21
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm confused, you have coilovers with the adaptive suspension coded out? Or your winter "test" was with the OEM adaptive suspension?

So how do the cars without the adaptive suspension from the factory handle the steering inputs? I bet they don't and neither does the adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #22
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

$2750 shipped with coupon

http://www.bimmerworld.com/KW-Coilov...-with-EDC.html
Appreciate 0