E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMS Oil Catch Can for e90 335i (Question)

03-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
RobertoTaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i | 2015 BMW X5

BMS Oil Catch Can for e90 335i (Question)

So I had my intake valves cleaned a week ago (100K on motor), and I ordered a BMS Oil Catch Can to help prevent this common problem with our motors.

Well, someone on Facebook said that the BMS oil catch can doesn't really help much, because 98% of the build up comes from the off-boost system which is right above each intake valve. So basically, I'm hearing that the BMS oil catch can only prevents oil vapors from the on-boost system, and not the off-boost system.

If this is the case, should I just send it back for a refund before I even bother installing it?

Any info or input will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoTaylor View Post
So I had my intake valves cleaned a week ago (100K on motor), and I ordered a BMS Oil Catch Can to help prevent this common problem with our motors.

Well, someone on Facebook said that the BMS oil catch can doesn't really help much, because 98% of the build up comes from the off-boost system which is right above each intake valve. So basically, I'm hearing that the BMS oil catch can only prevents oil vapors from the on-boost system, and not the off-boost system.

If this is the case, should I just send it back for a refund before I even bother installing it?

Any info or input will be greatly appreciated.
I've been running turbo cars for well over 20 years now... and all of them benefit from having a Oil Catch Can (including my n54). Is it a silver bullet to cure carbon build up... NO. Does it help... YES. Can it be used as an indicator to see if your PCV system is working well DEFINITELY!

Since you are already making the effort to install the OCC I would also recommend the following since you are at the 100k mark:

1) RB PCV
2) RB PCV Cap
3) RB PCV Hose

If you couple those 3 items installed at the same time as the BMS OCC... your labor should be zero for the 3 items I listed above since the cost of labor to install the BMS OCC is the same work as the PCV items I listed above. It would have been well timed to do it during the carbon blast since most of the tear down was done already. Also with carbon blasting... you should also consider doing an ER CP install at the same time as the carbon blast... since the labor cost to install will be zero as part of the normal tear down.

Since you have a RWD 2007 n54... have you had your belt and tensioner/pully replaced yet? This is a common failure point where the belt rubs the subframe and then shreds apart and then gets sucked in THRU the front main seal into the motor and grenades the motor Get it fixed asap if it wasn't done already.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

On some cars, it catches a lot, on others, nothing. I have one and there was maybe a teaspoon of oil after 5K miles. But I've seen some that were overflowing.

RB now makes a version of the catch can for the other side of your system so it works when you're not boosting which is most of the time. I'm likely going to get that pretty soon.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
On some cars, it catches a lot, on others, nothing. I have one and there was maybe a teaspoon of oil after 5K miles. But I've seen some that were overflowing.

RB now makes a version of the catch can for the other side of your system so it works when you're not boosting which is most of the time. I'm likely going to get that pretty soon.
I'm lucky... my PCV system has been really good. I only get a tiny amount of oil in the BMS OCC every 20k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
Conti.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' Azurite F80 M3

Garage List
2016 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post

you have a link to robs system? i didn't see it on their site

2016 AB F80 M3 6MT
///BMW M Performance | Motorsport Hardware | BM3 | AA | EMB | BMS | RKP | IND
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

I think it's still early in production phase. There's a big post on the n54tech forums, just search for RB External PCV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conti. View Post
you have a link to robs system? i didn't see it on their site
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
RobertoTaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i | 2015 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
I've been running turbo cars for well over 20 years now... and all of them benefit from having a Oil Catch Can (including my n54). Is it a silver bullet to cure carbon build up... NO. Does it help... YES. Can it be used as an indicator to see if your PCV system is working well DEFINITELY!

Since you are already making the effort to install the OCC I would also recommend the following since you are at the 100k mark:

1) RB PCV
2) RB PCV Cap
3) RB PCV Hose

If you couple those 3 items installed at the same time as the BMS OCC... your labor should be zero for the 3 items I listed above since the cost of labor to install the BMS OCC is the same work as the PCV items I listed above. It would have been well timed to do it during the carbon blast since most of the tear down was done already. Also with carbon blasting... you should also consider doing an ER CP install at the same time as the carbon blast... since the labor cost to install will be zero as part of the normal tear down.

Since you have a RWD 2007 n54... have you had your belt and tensioner/pully replaced yet? This is a common failure point where the belt rubs the subframe and then shreds apart and then gets sucked in THRU the front main seal into the motor and grenades the motor Get it fixed asap if it wasn't done already.
Thanks for all the info. Looks like I'll be installing it then, and looking into replacing those other parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Looks like I'll be installing it then, and looking into replacing those other parts.
Good call.. but don't slack on that tensioner/pully/belt... I'm at 108k miles and I've been slacking (I'm an XI so I don't suffer from the common issue like the RWD guys actually do).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

OCC does wonders on some cars, and not great on others.
Either way definitely worth it given the price it is being offered at

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #10
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

As mentioned the BMS OCC is for the boost-side; air only passes through it when you in boost which for most of us is a very small portion of the time. If you have a heavy right foot then it might help. I had mine for 12k miles and it caught maybe 1/4 tsp of oil.

The other 98% of the time the vacuum-side PCV system is in use. This system is build into the valve cover which dumps the air and oil right into the intake ports and onto the intake valves; this is primary cause of carbon build up.

I bypassed the stock vacuum-side PCV system and ran an inline catch can. In 70 miles it's caught about twice what the BMS can caught on the boost-side in 12,000 miles.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231974

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 02:51 AM   #11
=C=
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90

Quote:
The PCV Valve is all you really need. The Cap is not necessary and the rest you can re-use.

I installed the BMS OCC tonight

Will see how it goes in the next 5k kms

I couldn't believe how much oil was in the PCV hose...

Last edited by =C=; 03-14-2016 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 04:46 AM   #12
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com
OCC does wonders on some cars, and not great on others.
Either way definitely worth it given the price it is being offered at
At 180 bucks... How is that remotely great lol
      03-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #13
Cory S
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i-X

The build up of combustion carbon on the intake valve stems/ports, is not so much from incoming air, but combustion gases blowing up through the valves at specific valve timing events.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
Will maddox
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 335i m sport

Can the pcv system just be blocked off altogether on these engines??
Appreciate 0