F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > So I inquired about timing of Dinan packages for the 340, and...
Studio RSR

03-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #1
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

So I inquired about timing of Dinan packages for the 340, and...

This was the response I got, just in case anyone else had the same question:

"The 340i utilizes a new engine, ECU, harness, and plugs so the engine management development essentially had to be started from scratch complete with new hardware. You are looking at a 6-9 month development cycle just for the tune assuming everything goes to plan (and it never does) and we are only about 2 months into it. Most of the major hard parts (intake, exhaust, etc) will be complete and selling before the tuning makes it to market."
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

You know the days of Dinan are over right? Any advantage they used to have has evaporated.
Their piggyback isn't as advanced nor as reliable as JB4. There's loads of threads of people getting codes and warnings using dinantronics.

Also Steve Dinan sold the company and moved to Ford. Read the writing on the wall.

No piggyback is ideal. Get the enzo tune when it comes out. B series motors are monsters because the architecture was built to withstand diesel variants as well. Truth is the only people who could notice you have a flash could also tell JB4 was present. (JB4 IS NOT invisible to engineers not even close) and Dinan has been leaving people on this board high and dry on warranty claims so just do your research.
Appreciate 3
      03-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia
You know the days of Dinan are over right? Any advantage they used to have has evaporated.
Their piggyback isn't as advanced nor as reliable as JB4. There's loads of threads of people getting codes and warnings using dinantronics.

Also Steve Dinan sold the company and moved to Ford. Read the writing on the wall.

No piggyback is ideal. Get the enzo tune when it comes out. B series motors are monsters because the architecture was built to withstand diesel variants as well. Truth is the only people who could notice you have a flash could also tell JB4 was present. (JB4 IS NOT invisible to engineers not even close) and Dinan has been leaving people on this board high and dry on warranty claims so just do your research.
I didn't know that, but that's because I'm still shopping for my first BMW. Always had heard good things about them in the past - expensive but worth it.

Have people had problems recently?
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
VividRacingII
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F80 M3

Most of the Dinan products are CA legal, this is a big statement on modification industry.
BMS is cheap, however it tabs the CANbus, showing evidence to dealers the car was modified before.

It takes time to develop a reliable and dealer safe product. Meanwhile, Dinan just announced the springs for 340i now available!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VividRacingII View Post
Most of the Dinan products are CA legal, this is a big statement on modification industry.
BMS is cheap, however it tabs the CANbus, showing evidence to dealers the car was modified before.

It takes time to develop a reliable and dealer safe product. Meanwhile, Dinan just announced the springs for 340i now available!
Do you know if x drive springs are out, or just rwd?
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #6
VividRacingII
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge View Post
Do you know if x drive springs are out, or just rwd?
It's for RWD only at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 01:39 AM   #7
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Yep! Major concern in 2022 when modded 340i owners need to smog it for the first time. Gotta plan ahead, ya know?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 02:00 AM   #8
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

Quote:
Not anymore, they have a canbus plug so now no more tapping wires.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #9
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

Quote:
It's for RWD only at the moment.
Thanks. Good sign either way.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Doesn't have to. Uses the ODB2 connector now.

edit: Nathaniel beat me to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
Doesn't have to. Uses the ODB2 connector now.

edit: Nathaniel beat me to it.
+2

All CAN connections are done through the OBD diagnostic port. 100% plug and play.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #12
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia

Do you have experience with JB4 vs Dinan vs Enzo in a modern car? I ask because people usually post when something goes wrong. I'm curious what evidence there is to support your comment. I don't consider forum posts concrete evidence especially in terms of reliability there is a chance of issues when any 3rd party flash/piggyback tune is installed
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
MGF80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Skyscraper Grey G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosielia View Post

I absolutely love uneducated answers such as these. Why is it that Dinantronics box's are not as advanced or reliable as JB4's? I also love that people bash Dinan buyers. Does the money that people pay for Dinan come out of your pocket? With so many options on the market let the man make his own decisions. I feel like if you can not help the user in a positive fashion please stop trolling. People choose different tuners for different reasons and everyone should respect that.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #14
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF80 View Post
I absolutely love uneducated answers such as these. Why is it that Dinantronics box's are not as advanced or reliable as JB4's? I also love that people bash Dinan buyers. Does the money that people pay for Dinan come out of your pocket? With so many options on the market let the man make his own decisions. I feel like if you can not help the user in a positive fashion please stop trolling. People choose different tuners for different reasons and everyone should respect that.
Because you have 1000 threads and post on the forums that prove most Dinan piggybacks have been causing drivetrain malfunctions and more.

Not to mention, the gains they advertise isn't anywhere near what they say it is, as per Dyno sheets that people have posted.

It's overpriced for what it is.

It costs about 3500$ CAD for a stage 3 Dinan here, for just the piggyback. So imagine why people are giving advice to other users about BETTER options than Dinan.

No offense to them, but other users are trying to help others save money for other mods by getting JB4 or a flash tune which is way cheaper and actually prove gains in power.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
MGF80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Skyscraper Grey G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Because you have 1000 threads and post on the forums that prove most Dinan piggybacks have been causing drivetrain malfunctions and more.

Not to mention, the gains they advertise isn't anywhere near what they say it is, as per Dyno sheets that people have posted.

It costs about 3500$ CAD for a stage 3 Dinan here, for just the piggyback. So imagine why people are giving advice to other users about BETTER options than Dinan.

No offense to them, but other users are trying to help others save money for other mods by getting JB4 or a flash tune which is way cheaper and actually prove gains in power.
My intention is not to go back and forth. Stated again when you add any third party piggyback or flash tune issues do arise here and there but there are also people such as myself who has not had one issue. I also fully understand that putting a JB4 on my car will yield more power but I would rather factory like drive ability and a Dinan matching warranty. Again to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #16
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post

Quote:
My intention is not to go back and forth. Stated again when you add any third party piggyback or flash tune issues do arise here and there but there are also people such as myself who has not had one issue. I also fully understand that putting a JB4 on my car will yield more power but I would rather factory like drive ability and a Dinan matching warranty. Again to each their own.

+1 I had my DT S2 programmed directly by Dinan, it to worked flawlessly

Having said that, it's for sale!!

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #17
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
Quote:

Not sure where you're getting your data from....here's my Dinan Stage 1 dyno (as compared to my stock MPPK dyno)....it posted as advertised....330 WHP equates to roughly 375 crank hp.

Now I have Stage 2 FYI...haven't dynoed that yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
Quote:

Just saying...jb4s have their fair share of issues too. And the price of the JB4 is an outlier. Tunes are not that affordable most of the time. Which is why I would never put it on my car that I need to last me the better part of a decade
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #19
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Just wait a few months for the MPPSK; it requires a full exhaust replacement which, from what I've heard, sounds awesome.

Problem solved

Last edited by DrifterX; 04-11-2016 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: MPPSK doesn't use MPE, it's a different muffler
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #20
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

where is the mppk for b58
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #21
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can write you a paper on why it's less advanced but I'll keep this short and sweet so people actually read it.

Dynatronics has no user interface or logging capabilities whatsoever. When you have an issue with jb4 you send logs to Terry and he usually send you new firmware that can improve your issue or instantly send you a new JB4. Without you having to go to the dealer. Also data logging is crucial on a tuned vehicle. Why? Because logging allows you to catch problems before they become a huge issue.

Dinantronics causes all sorts of drivetrain malfunction lights. The only course of action for the dealers is to remove the dinantronics and see if it fixes the issue then if it does just order a new one and stick it in because there's no way to access it, update it, do anything. problem with that is it's not uncommon at all for them to fail, the failure rate vs jb4 is significantly higher.

Jb4 has more safety mechanisms. Can anyone tell me if dinantronics disables itself on its own accord by monitoring fuel trims bank-to-bank variance, air to fuel ratio, timing pull (knock) overboost, under boost. Oh wait it doesn't, it throws a BMW CEL. ( which by the way is way way too lenient you have to have a dangerous condition for at least one full second before you have any chance of throwing a BMW code like that. Which is why JB4 has those protections. Car wont even throw a code for huge bank-to-bank variances)

You know Steve Dinan spent years shitting on jb4 and any other piggyback saying they were dangerous and incomplete tuning solution. Guess what? When the f30 came out and Dinan could not break into the ECU's... ( because despite what some people think BMW does not work with him does not help him) we got DinanTronics. So that says it all. I mean Steve made a thing out of this, crapping on piggybacks.
That was the moment I lost all respect for him. ( by the way while not as ideal as ECU tuning obviously, proper piggybacks like jb4 are safe)

It's because of people like u that people that know what they're talking about sit back and smile at your ignorance instead of replying and helping, keep that in mind before calling me a troll. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #22
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hope you never need that, there has been several stories recently about people getting shafted on that warranty. Honestly I think that company is changing a lot now that Steve Dinan has left. Don't you think it's odd that somebody who was so passionate about his business sold and left. He loves Automotive tuning it's not like he went to retire, he left to go tune and develop at Ford.
Appreciate 0