BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-11-2016, 04:57 AM   #1
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Question..

Hi Guys!

I've got a question! Can someone explain to me the Difference between the 4 Headlight Choices in the G11/12?
What's the difference between the Normal LED, Adaptive LED, Iconic LED, and Laser Light?
Well actually my question should be narrowed down to the Iconic Adaptive LED and normal Adaptive LED specifically!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

I thought the g11/12 only had two headlight options, adaptive LED as standard and the option of laser light.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_alnimah View Post
Hi Guys!

I've got a question! Can someone explain to me the Difference between the 4 Headlight Choices in the G11/12?
What's the difference between the Normal LED, Adaptive LED, Iconic LED, and Laser Light?
Well actually my question should be narrowed down to the Iconic Adaptive LED and normal Adaptive LED specifically!
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
I thought the g11/12 only had two headlight options, adaptive LED as standard and the option of laser light.
I actually dug into this, because I had the same questions when I ordered my G12, and the dealership didn't have enough information to satisfy me.

The simple answer is that it depends on the country. There are actually three lighting choices:

- Adaptive LED
- Icon Adaptive LED
- Laserlight

Only the first two are available here in the USA (and we hear the Laserlight has just been approved as well, but it's not yet been introduced as an option on US-spec cars).

The differences between the two USA options are actually significant. The "basic" front LED headlights (on all models except the 750) are the Adaptive LED headlights. This headlight features "traditional" corona rings, and both the low-beams and high-beams are located in the same reflector. The turn indicator lamps are actually nested inside the light cluster to the side of the headlamps (see the image below). Additionally, the side-marker lights are integrated into the "brow" of the light cluster. It's basically a simpler design.

The Icon Adaptive LED Headlight is more advanced, and presents a more complex (and, in my opinion a more striking) appearance. It's optional on most models but is standard on the 750. This headlight features "iconic" corona rings -- the extruded look that creates a more aggressive appearance, and connects the rings visually to the kidney grille. The low-beams and high-beams occupy the upper and lower portion of each housing (split horizontally) -- low-beams on top; high-beams on the bottom with their own projector lenses. Additionally, the turn indicator lamps are stretched across the entire "brow" above the headlights (see the image below).

Hope this answers your questions.
Attached Images

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport

Last edited by TheBry; 03-11-2016 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: The thumbs-up emoticon wasn't functioning properly, so I fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Krod301
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Still don't know why the Icon Adaptive LED are not even optional on the 740's. Unless the upcoming Laserlights will be optional on both the 740 and 750 and will be the only way to have the "Icon" type daytime running lights on the 740.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
Still don't know why the Icon Adaptive LED are not even optional on the 740's. Unless the upcoming Laserlights will be optional on both the 740 and 750 and will be the only way to have the "Icon" type daytime running lights on the 740.
Agreed. I thought that was odd as well.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #6
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_alnimah View Post
Hi Guys!

Between the two you're narrowed down, Icon Adaptive LED differ in appearance and functionality. Icon LED are Hybrid Pixel Matrix Projector Low Beam and Reflector Main Beam units. They support Selective Beam and Dynamic Light Spot functionality where as the basic Adaptive do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
I actually dug into this, because I had the same questions when I ordered my G12, and the dealership didn't have enough information to satisfy me.

The simple answer is that it depends on the country. There are actually three lighting choices:

- Adaptive LED
- Icon Adaptive LED
- Laserlight

Only the first two are available here in the USA (and we hear the Laserlight has just been approved as well, but it's not yet been introduced as an option on US-spec cars).

The differences between the two USA options are actually significant. The "basic" front LED headlights (on all models except the 750) are the Adaptive LED headlights. This headlight features "traditional" corona rings, and both the low-beams and high-beams are located in the same reflector. The turn indicator lamps are actually nested inside the light cluster to the side of the headlamps (see the image below). Additionally, the side-marker lights are integrated into the "brow" of the light cluster. It's basically a simpler design.

The Icon Adaptive LED Headlight is more advanced, and presents a more complex (and, in my opinion a more striking) appearance. It's optional on most models but is standard on the 750. This headlight features "iconic" corona rings -- the extruded look that creates a more aggressive appearance, and connects the rings visually to the kidney grille. The low-beams and high-beams occupy the upper and lower portion of each housing (split horizontally) -- low-beams on top; high-beams on the bottom with their own projector lenses. Additionally, the turn indicator lamps are stretched across the entire "brow" above the headlights (see the image below).

Hope this answers your questions.
Good research. There are actually 4 versions total but Standard LED are limited to only a handful of limited markets where Adaptive Light functions are not allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
For the moment, it's about cost. The units are quite expensive to develop and the 740i, is for now, positioned to be the lease market value capture vehicle. Since the additional functions the Icon LED are capable of are inhibited in the US at this time, there isn't really a business case to offer them for the first year. I expect for 2017, they'll become available on the 740. Laserlight may be limited to the B7 and M760 as an option. Perhaps the 750 might see the option at the same time, or possibly later. The pricing for Laserlight is €6300/$6300 on the i8, but only €1200 on the 7er. Huge difference between those numbers so I can't understand how European i8 buyers view it and how US i8 buyers will react.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #7
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

The adaptive led headlight I was referring to is the so called icon adaptive led headlight.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #8
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib
The adaptive led headlight I was referring to is the so called icon adaptive led headlight.
Currently in Europe, Icon Adaptive LED is included in the no-cost and required Navigation and Connected Drive Package with Laserlight a separate option or included in the Innovation Package.

In the US, we have Adaptive LED (740i only), and Icon Adaptive LED (750i only). Laserlight is not yet an option.
Appreciate 0