F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > stopping child benefit and impact on national insurance
GetBMWParts

03-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

stopping child benefit and impact on national insurance

When the buggery government changed the rules so that if you earn over £50k or something you stop being entitled to child benefit, my wife filled in a form to opt-out, which seemed the only option at the time.

She was of the understanding that she would have her NI stamp paid while our kids were of child benefit age (think it stops at 12?). This is because she is staying at home to look after the kids.

But reading up on it just now, she thinks that by opting out she might not get NI stamp paid.

Does anyone know how this all works, and is there any chance of getting the NI backdated? We've been off the CB since the rule came in, so 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Very interesting question. We hadn't even thought about this - Mrs hasn't worked for three years since having our little sleep terrorist. Like you I didn't qualify for CB - was told that between 50 and 60k it is evens, but after 60k you just can't have it.

Be interested to see what you find out. Though I'll be in cholesterol heaven by the time this issue prevails, I reckon!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 04:31 AM   #3
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Perhaps I can help you here with some thoughts.

First the Department (DWP) can't stop people getting child benefit at source as they don't know your wive's circumstances. So they ask them to opt out of Child Benefit after applying the test of their husbands's income. If they don't opt out the way of clawing it back is through your tax payments where the IR will code the amount out of your income by increasing your tax - you'll need to make an annual return. all a bit of a bugger for you but mostly for them!

So your wives and 270,000 other have been sent forms and opted not to receive Child Benefit as you are high earners (many congrats).

Can you ask your wives if they remember filling in their form. On it there is a box to tick which roughly says

"I wish to no long receive Child Benefit payments but wish to continue to receive National Insurance Credits to preserve my State Pension Entitlement ".

This is possible until the last child leaves the "family" at age 12.

If they did this you are past the post and no worries.

Can I ask you to try two simple tests to confirm things. The first is passive and you'll know now.

Has your wife received a statement from the Inland Revenue ove the last couple of years which roughly says "our records show you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions in the 2012/13 (or 2013/2014) tax year to cover your State Pension entitlement". If they havent it confirms that they are getting a full year of National Insurance credits currently.

If you want to be active, ring the Inland Revenue National Insurance Office at Newcastle.

Tell them you want to be assured that the credits for Child Benefit beneficiaries are still being recorded. Your wife will need to do it herself and should have her National Insurance Number handy . Go further if you want, ask them for a statement of her recent National Insurance record which they are honour bound to send to her via the post.

Its all very complicated but just to say that the current treatment of married women who stay at home is better than in the years up to 2010 at least up to the age of 12 for the last child. I could explain why but my head would hurt at my age!

Hope you get somewhere . TT

Last edited by Tom Tallon; 03-13-2016 at 04:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2016, 04:54 AM   #4
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Blimey Tom, thanks for that information. When ours was born we didn't have to opt in or out, just a very awkward conversation with the community nurse, during a home visit, who wouldn't take "We don't qualify, but thanks for the reminder" as an answer when telling us about CB. (After 7 times of "why not" I had to talk about earnings, which I didn't want to do).

We didn't receive the form you mention about NI. Definitely not. I've copied the info you have laid out and Mrs is going to call. She's making noises about baby number two so it's doubtful she'll be working anytime soon.

Glad this conversation came up, and glad you offered this information - thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
Blimey Tom, thanks for that information. When ours was born we didn't have to opt in or out, just a very awkward conversation with the community nurse, during a home visit, who wouldn't take "We don't qualify, but thanks for the reminder" as an answer when telling us about CB. (After 7 times of "why not" I had to talk about earnings, which I didn't want to do).

We didn't receive the form you mention about NI. Definitely not. I've copied the info you have laid out and Mrs is going to call. She's making noises about baby number two so it's doubtful she'll be working anytime soon.

Glad this conversation came up, and glad you offered this information - thanks very much.
I wonder if Tom spent some time at Longbenton
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep

I always knew Geordies were clever and intuitive, Brigand.

Yes for a time I was the Systems and Programming Manager of the National Insurance IT system! Best job I ever had in the Civil Service.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #7
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

We have a record of National Insurance that they sent us, with the last covered year being 2013-2014. It shows she has 52 NI credits. If I'm reading that right, that was the tax year after the rule came in, so she would have been opted out, yet still received the credits.

Going to wait until after April 5th because then we can request a new copy of the record which will include 2014-15. If that also has credits shown then I think we're ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
We have a record of National Insurance that they sent us, with the last covered year being 2013-2014. It shows she has 52 NI credits. If I'm reading that right, that was the tax year after the rule came in, so she would have been opted out, yet still received the credits.

Going to wait until after April 5th because then we can request a new copy of the record which will include 2014-15. If that also has credits shown then I think we're ok.
M I am pleased to say its nearly 100% certain your wife did the right thing when she filled in her form. So say words of admiration to her for a prudent choce. lets hope Robbo can also be reassured about their position.
Appreciate 1