F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Intake walnut shell media blast....
GetBMWParts

03-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
pisgahlvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Msport

Intake walnut shell media blast....

Dealer quoted me "around $700.00" to have this done to my 2013 335i Msport......

What say ye bimmerpost? Is that a rip off?

And before you say "you could do it much cheaper if you did it yourself". I know I could, but I don't have the time nor facilities available to me to do this. Although if I still had my old garage, I likely would attempt it because it doesn't seem that overly complicated.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Are you looking for dealer only? Surely an indy could do it for cheaper. Even here in Canada, they range between $300-400. Downside of an indy would be you need to arrange your own transportation.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisgahlvr View Post
Dealer quoted me "around $700.00" to have this done to my 2013 335i Msport......

What say ye bimmerpost? Is that a rip off?

And before you say "you could do it much cheaper if you did it yourself". I know I could, but I don't have the time nor facilities available to me to do this. Although if I still had my old garage, I likely would attempt it because it doesn't seem that overly complicated.
Find a performance shop, I got quoted about 400ish with labour and parts. Most tuner shops or indy rep shops do it, just gotta find one in your area.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
pisgahlvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah I would just go to an Indy if I were in my home city. Problem is here in Little Rock, I haven't been able to locate any euro oriented shops that might perform this service. Plus, with my job, I have to have transportation at all times.

If I was still in Charlotte I would just go to Eurowise.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisgahlvr View Post
Yeah I would just go to an Indy if I were in my home city. Problem is here in Little Rock, I haven't been able to locate any euro oriented shops that might perform this service. Plus, with my job, I have to have transportation at all times.

If I was still in Charlotte I would just go to Eurowise.
When you have some time off, drive to one nearest, it doesn't take more than 3-4 hours max, in worst case scenario, a full day but call and ask before.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Bavarian Autosport sells kits for the N55 that hook up to your shop-vac and shop air in packages between $250-$600.
I feel like I'll buy myself their kit when I need to clean my intake valves (I have a PI so my valves are pretty clean) and so then I'll have a walnut blaster and several cleans for the price of one professional one.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
pisgahlvr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Bavarian Autosport sells kits for the N55 that hook up to your shop-vac and shop air in packages between $250-$600.
I feel like I'll buy myself their kit when I need to clean my intake valves (I have a PI so my valves are pretty clean) and so then I'll have a walnut blaster and several cleans for the price of one professional one.
Yea I would love to get the kit and do it myself, but unfortunately I just don't have the facilities. My shop vac is in my storage space with the rest of my tools. :/
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #8
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

How many miles this needs to be done normally? I also have a 13 with 38k miles on it.
      04-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry
How many miles this needs to be done normally? I also have a 13 with 38k miles on it.
It all depends on how you drive, what kind of gas you use, the state of your VANOS system etc. there isn't really a recommended service interval for intake carbon cleaning.
The best way to determine how often you need to clean your runners and valves is just by actually looking at the state of your valves with your manifold off.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
xxxjecxxx2
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Garage List
2013 F30 335i  [0.00]
2015 F15 X5  [0.00]
2017 G30 540i  [0.00]
I have same car as you. Purchased everything and did it myself.

The N55 does not need walnut blasting, at least not at 50K. Whatever BMW changed from n54 to n55 made a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #11
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjecxxx2 View Post

The N55 does not need walnut blasting, at least not at 50K. Whatever BMW changed from n54 to n55 made a huge difference.
This is excellent to know!
Of course this isnt exact science because it depends on a lot of variables, but if one to drive like you, what would be your recommended time/mileage/period of "blastin nuts" on N55s?!

Do you have any phots of yours (before/after)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
It might be self evident and obvious to everyone around here, but what does PI stands for?
How would one acquire a PI and what are the benefits and drawback of the PI?

How does your "Pubic Incinerator" go about to clean your "valves"? Does it hurt?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #12
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30
Quote:

This is excellent to know!
Of course this isnt exact science because it depends on a lot of variables, but if one to drive like you, what would be your recommended time/mileage/period of "blastin nuts" on N55s?!

Do you have any phots of yours (before/after)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
It might be self evident and obvious to everyone around here, but what does PI stands for?
How would one acquire a PI and what are the benefits and drawback of the PI?

How does your "Pubic Incinerator" go about to clean your "valves"? Does it hurt?
PI in this case stands for port injection. In my case I have the PDU port injection kit which has 6 additional fuel injectors placed in a spacer on the intake runners below the intake manifold attached to another fuel rail fed by the LPFP. Gasoline is a solvent containing additional detergents that quite effectively cleans carbon buildup on intake valves and within the combustion chamber. Since the N55 engine is a direct port injection engine with the stock high pressure fuel injectors spraying fuel directly into the combustion chamber gasoline doesn't really have the opportunity to clean the intake valves since it is injected after the intake valves. Oil among other vapors and fumes are released back into the intake from the crankcase PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system for emissions reasons. On the N54 engines this led to extensive carbon buildup on the intake valves which often required regular carbon cleaning or the installation of an OCC (oil catch can) to be installed between the crankcase vent and the PCV valve on the turbo inlet plumbing. BMW has made design changes to the N55 which has significantly reduced the amount of dirtying fumes and vapors which are recycled back into the intake and an OCC and regular carbon cleaning is rarely necessary.
A port injection kit is beneficial as an additional source of fueling to power higher power applications such as engines tuned to run E85 fuel. E85 has higher octane than pump 93 gasoline, which allows the engine to produce more power but since ethanol has a lower specific energy than pure gasoline more fuel is needed to produce the same or increased power levels so an additional source of fuel is required. This is where a port injection kit can become beneficial as the stock high pressure fuel injectors and fuel pump cannot supply enough fuel to the combustion chamber to enjoy the higher power benefits of running E85 fuel. But, as with all things, the more complexity you add to a system the more components exist that can fail and there are more things that can go awry.
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2016, 05:07 AM   #13
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Thanks for taking the time to give a quick explanation!

It all makes sense!

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #14
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

DIY -- a worthwhile project

I did this on an 07 335i by purchasing a compressor from HFreight and the BMW wand and vacuum intake adapter from ECS. Yea the hopper and shells were from HFreight as well. Once you do the job 1 time -- you can cut the time in half the second time. So that was on an N54 so now that I have an N55 in the F22 my cost will have been spread over 3 cleanings. I did purchase new intake seals but overall not a big cost. Plus it is a good bonding event with your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 08:28 PM   #15
R32DBP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport, 2004 .:R32T

Garage List
Quote:

More info on this as I just crossed 50k and was thinking about buying my own kit and getting the valves walnut blasted. Should I not bother?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #16
mr_kay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32DBP View Post
More info on this as I just crossed 50k and was thinking about buying my own kit and getting the valves walnut blasted. Should I not bother?
While doing my oil cooler/filter gaskets, I peeked into the intake valves on my car with ~70k and they were in pretty good shape.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #17
R32DBP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport, 2004 .:R32T

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_kay View Post
While doing my oil cooler/filter gaskets, I peeked into the intake valves on my car with ~70k and they were in pretty good shape.
oh wow and you have never done any carbon cleaning/walnut blasting?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #18
mr_kay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32DBP View Post
oh wow and you have never done any carbon cleaning/walnut blasting?
Nope, nothing. I've looked at horror posts on the E90 forums after just 20-30k and mine looked nothing like that.
Appreciate 0